Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-30-2021, 01:48 AM
bocash3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Update:

Am at my cabin where I built a shooting range. Sighted the 69-A Peep on Monday using sand bag, padded front rest, 25yd. targets. Did not take long to dial it in.

So plinked a little and sleeved it so I could get out a Winch. 75 Sporter to play with.

TODAY, sister shows up who loves to shoot .22 anything. We placed several dozen marshmellows in the tiny pond in front of cabin (safe..........surrounded by several 1,000 acres of Nationl. Forest).

So the Peep sight comes out of sleeve again.

Distance was 40 yards to the drifting white puffy things, moving in slight breezes. Off the front porch rail, I was knocking them out of the water average 3.5 out of every 5 shot mag. IMPRESSIVE!.......especially for a shaky right hand and 72-year-old eyes!!!! On the "misses," the slug was so close that the candy was being moved. Hits on the low side of the things would send them 30 to 40 feet into the air.

At one point, it began to shoot about 3/4" high. AH............the nut on the side had loosened and sight had raised slightly, so pushed it back down and tightened and it returned to "dead Marshmellow."

On one 5-shot round, all 5 "victims" went into orbit.............some of the most fun I have had shooting in a long time.

So, this 69A Peep has been with me for only a month............and it is going no where!!

Happy Memorial Day............remember those who sacrificed.

Take care, Bo

Last edited by bocash3; 05-30-2021 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:50 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Good fun shooting report Bo...
Old 05-30-2021, 08:36 PM
HectorFuego

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Use that little screw on top of the sight base to lock your elevation zero. From my experimentation the elevation notches are about 4 MOA. The front sight is 4 MOA wide. I would expect the windage notches on top of the rear sight are also 4 MOA.

I kinda suspected you would fall in love with it once you shot it.

Hector
Old 05-30-2021, 10:18 PM
bocash3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
THANKS, Hector!

Indeed, I did use that tiny screw on top to act as a "Stop" for the sight blade, then tightened the round side screw. After every 25 rounds or so, I noticed it shooting a tad higher. So noted the assembly was moving upward during firing. Pushing the leaf back down and re-tightening the side screw brought things back in line.

Once home, I may tighten the round side screw tighter using a pair of pliers and a cloth to keep from scarring the checkering on that side screw.

And you are right.............. of all the open-sighted quality bolt rifles I have, this one has quickly become my favorite.

Y'all take care, Bo
Old 05-30-2021, 11:21 PM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
Back when my family owned the shooting range we had a popular area called the "Plinking Pond" (yes it was a safe setup with a very high berm on the opposite side). We used to provide corn cobs for the shooters to float in the water to shoot at. When the farming equipment changed and the cobs were ground and left in the field we had to come up with another floating target. My brother suggested we use marshmallows. They were perfect! Easy to see, they'd fly out of the water when shot, and they'd dissolve if they were left floating (or the fish would eat them). They were a big hit!

Old 05-31-2021, 06:18 PM
HectorFuego

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I may have misspoke a little bit. The shark fin front sight is 4 MOA wide. I'm not sure on the bead front sight.

Hector
Old 06-03-2021, 06:35 PM
syfr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Bo, that description of plinking marshmallows sounds like it was a perfect day with .22s. I own more than a couple firearms, but I probably get more enjoyment out of the "simple" .22 than from any other calibers.

Thanks for the idea of the marshmallows. That's a great idea. A "Minute of Marshmallow" could catch on as a new shooting term
Old 06-03-2021, 06:40 PM
syfr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post

Hopefully the next book on the 75 will be as popular. Hard to say though since fewer people own a 75.

Is it too early to start asking "is it out yet?" :-)
Old 06-04-2021, 01:07 PM
JWA

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by syfr View Post
Is it too early to start asking "is it out yet?" :-)
Probably just a tad bit early

It is already larger than the 69 book though. As with the Model 69, once I got into the weeds on the details it has slowed down the process due to the undocumented changes which occurred throughout production. Also, the chapter on the G7505R USGI WWII "Training Rifle" is growing larger than I initially anticipated. Hopefully the military training rifle collectors will appreciate those details as well.

I have found that researching the models is just as much fun as collecting them so forgive me if I take the time to savor the process

Best Regards,