Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:11 PM
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Mossberg 12 gauge 500A question?

Just got a used Mossberg 500A from a fellow co-worker, with a 24 inch barrel (with accuchoke), along with a 24 inch, fully rifled barrel (ported), with a Simmons 44 Mag scope attached. A few little scratches on the receiver, but the barrels are near mint condition.

If I decide to shoot slugs through the rifled barrel, what brand slugs seem to work well with these barrels? Also, I'm not a big fan of the Black Plastic stocks....are standard Mossberg 500A Wood stocks, compatible?

thanks.... I paid $150 for everything
Old 02-13-2021, 01:52 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a great buy. You may need some forarm parts in addition to the stock. I understand some action bars are pinned directly on some synthetic models. Wood stocks should not be a problem to find. I also suggest a real steel safety to replace the plastic one. The 500 are a very reliable and dependable workhorse.

In rifled barrels you need sabot slugs. It's not suggested to use foster slugs for rifled barrels but I suppose you can shoot them. I would focus on the 24 inch barrel with bird and buckshot. I'm not a fan of shotgun slugs but I only have smooth bores. A modified choke should do well for anything from skeet to HD.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:08 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
When I use to shotgun hunt every year I used a Mossberg 500 with a cantilever barrel and scope. The barrel was rifled and my favorite slugs for it were the regular 2 3/4" Foster slugs. It would shoot 3 slugs touching at 50yds, a very good deer killer. I tried many different slugs in it but for that combo and the distances we were typically shooting I could not see paying the prices for sabot slugs when the fosters shot so good and just hammered deer.

Bust thing to do is buy a box of each style and go out and take a beating shooting. Use a lead sled to save your shoulder. Biggest problem with many deer hunters is they just pick up a shotgun and some slugs and think they can start hunting. You have to know where that slug hits at your ranges you will shoot. I got sick of watching deer running that had legs and other parts shot off by dumb hunters.

Sorry for the rant, sounds like you will head down the correct path.
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2021, 10:22 AM
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks for the replies, I will try several types of Slugs....and possibly look into wooden furniture. I didn't really need another shotgun, but this was too good of a buy to decline, and several friends have gotten their Son's into pheasant hunting. It's nice to have a loaner for a teenager.