Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:38 PM
Jory45acp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Looking for stock work.

I'm not sure where to place this post but I'm looking for someone to work on my Kimber's stock. I'm looking to have pillars installed, glass bedded and the stock refinished. If you know someone please send me message with their info. Much appreciated. (And no, I have no plans on doing this myself no matter how easy guys say it is.)
Old 02-03-2021, 11:16 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (64)
Check with EkMarlin he has been doing some nice stock work. Look at the work in the linked thread. Send him an email or PM.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1210397
Old 02-03-2021, 11:31 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Hush is right, Evan would be your guy.
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2021, 07:36 AM
VertFish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (61)
You need to understand that the final finish that you get will not be the same as the original finish you have now. The KoO guns had a tinted pore filler that was used to reduce the sanding necessary before the top coats could be shot. That product and two out of three of the products mixed to make the top coats have also been discontinued. The good news is that a well done refinish always brings out more of the wood grain and it is my opinion that professionally refinished guns look better than the original.

I have inspected a gun refinished by Evan, and he did a very nice job on the stock.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:58 AM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (284)
I have several stocks that Evan has done and his work is superb -- the guy is flat-out a perfectionist! And very easy to work with. I could not recommend anyone else more highly. However, if you're looking for pillars and bedding, Evan would need the barreled action along with the stock, and so would need an FFL to take your rifle into his shop. Evan, as far as I know, does not have an FFL -- yet. But send him a PM to inquire.

Doug
Old 02-04-2021, 11:00 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Evan does superb work for sure, but you are considering doing a lot of work on what may well be the ugliest stock ever designed. It could be done, and it may shoot better, but I would pitch the original including the trigger guard, and start over. When the CMP was selling them for 400$,I should have done that. With a graceful target rifle stock with nice figure and a graceful shotgun trigger guard, made to fit you, and the action, now that would be a thing of beauty.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2021, 01:53 PM
Jory45acp

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks for the info guys. I honestly do not like the color of the existing stock and want to have it stained darker in color. I'm going to replace the trigger outright with an Extreme trigger. I'm still calling and looking for aftermarket stocks that fit this action but they are very rare and Master Class stocks quoted +1200 for them to do it. I almost passed out reading the quote. I have a few more leads to follow up on but if they don't pan out and the original is all I have to work with I'll be reaching out to Evan. Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:12 PM
grg

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Which model Kimber do you have? Any pics?
Old 02-04-2021, 04:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jory45acp View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I honestly do not like the color of the existing stock and want to have it stained darker in color. I'm going to replace the trigger outright with an Extreme trigger. I'm still calling and looking for aftermarket stocks that fit this action but they are very rare and Master Class stocks quoted +1200 for them to do it. I almost passed out reading the quote. I have a few more leads to follow up on but if they don't pan out and the original is all I have to work with I'll be reaching out to Evan. Thanks again.
I am not sure what kind of shooting you do most, but may suggest a Weatherby second custom sent to your door for less than 100$.

Old 02-04-2021, 04:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grg View Post
Which model Kimber do you have? Any pics?
82G's look like this

Old 02-04-2021, 04:55 PM
Jory45acp

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have a Kimber AAM 82. It has the same action but a smaller dia. barrel. The stock is slightly different that the 82G models. The stock is in excellent shape, just a few very minor dings from being safe juggled over all the years. The rifle itself is 95% condition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BCs3eUl.jpg (95.2 KB, 173 views)

Last edited by Jory45acp; 02-04-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:27 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jory45acp View Post
I have a Kimber AAM 82. It has the same action but a smaller dia. barrel. The stock is slightly different that the 82G models. The stock is in excellent shape, just a few very minor dings from being safe juggled over all the years. The rifle itself is 95% condition.
It is enough different that it is pleasing to the eye. Please forgive my comments and carry on. I didn't even know such an animal existed!

Old 02-04-2021, 09:26 PM
Jory45acp

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
No worries. I'll never turn down help with info. You never know what someone else knows that you don't, so never refuse to listen or learn. Thanks again for all the help!!
Old 02-04-2021, 09:40 PM
grg

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I didnt think you had mentioned which model before, yours is very nice. I don't think I would be looking for a different stock.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:22 AM
Jory45acp

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Shawn the owner of http://www.dogfacesupply.com/ has a great selection of older military rifles. He has a few rare gems which is where I found mine. He's a straight up guy who doesn't do auctions. The guy really knows vintage firearms and has connections to find ones if you are looking for something specific. I did not buy mine to be a collector item and a friend has told me don't change anything. I'm not worried its value honestly, I bought for me to use and enjoy in the present. I am still looking for a factory unopened 82G. Preferably a pre production or stock select to keep as a collector piece.