64 action chassis options? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-26-2020, 10:33 AM
Ken_N

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Yes I did get the delivery Christmas Eve. This is my first chassis, only had wood stocks before. It is heavy and cold and square.

Took the old stock off, and on the first try putting on the new stock I realized I had to take off the small black (picatiny?) rail that they have coming out of the front end of the forestock. The 64 mpr has a fat barrel (I measured 22.4 mm? Or 0.88?). The McRee page says up to 0.92 for the barrel, but that little rail hits the mpr barrel.

I had trouble getting the action screws to catch. It took me quite a while to get it lined up and one screw to catch, and then I couldnít get the second screw to line up. Finally got both to catch and tightened it up. The ad for the chassis says one size screw for the chassis and the action screws, but this is not true for the Anschutz. The front action screw looks like 4mm hex, like the chassis screws, but the rear action screw turns out to be 3mm. The chassis come with some hex wrenches but they do not include a 3mm. I did find a 3mm hex key in the set that came from Anschutz with the rifle. The rear action screw is also ďcaptiveĒ inside the chassis, so it wasnít obvious to me that it was a different size.

The instructions with the chassis give a very high torque number for the action screws, but they also say for rimfire to use the manufacturerís values. The MPR booklet says 4nm max so thatís what I used. I only have one torque wrench that I bought when I got the MPR, and I only have one key, a 4mm, so I just hand tightened the rear action screw and used the torque wrench for the front. I have a 3mm on order, when that comes I will reseat everything and tighten it up right.

There is some finesse involved in getting the action into the chassis and it is tight at the back of the action. Iím not sure where the tightness comes from.

Once together, I dry fired it with a snap cap. I put it together with the safety on, to dry fire I pushed the safety forward to off, trigger worked, but I could not get the safety to slide back to on. Just would not move.

With all the trouble I had getting the action screws to catch, I was reluctant to take the action back off, but with the safety not moving I had no choice. Took it apart and looked around for wear marks on everything. I could see some subtle signs but I am still figuring things out.

I put it back together yesterday. You do have to be a bit aware of the alignment of things as you tighten up. I still donít like what looks like to me a slight misalignment of the barrel at the forend of the chassis, and until I get the rear action screw at the right torque I donít entirely trust how things are lined up.

When I put it back together the second time, I had the bolt out. When I tightened it up the safety was tight but I could push it on and off. I put the bolt in, tried various things, and now I realize with the bolt open I can move the safety, but with the bolt closed the safety will only move in one direction and then sticks.

I hope to look at this more today to see whatís going on. So thatís where I am. Stock is here, got the basic parts together, not happy with the alignment of things, and something is rubbing against the safety.
Old 12-26-2020, 11:19 AM
Ken_N

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Trying some photos, hope it works...

Old 12-26-2020, 01:08 PM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Looks great, hopefully you can get the fitment issues resolved.

One recommendation...I did not like my cheek touching the bare metal cheek rest, especially when it was cold out. I use and really like the Talon brand grip tape on a bunch of my pistols so I tried some on the cheek rest and it worked great. Below is a link to what I used.

https://talongungrips.com/other-grip...terial-sheets/
Old 12-26-2020, 01:12 PM
Ken_N

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, I didnít like the feel of the metal either. Yesterday I ordered some adhesive backed 1/16Ē neoprene. Thanks for the link.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:07 PM
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Sorry to hear there are issues with your new stock. Kind of disappointing considering itís cost. I spoke with Scott on the phone last week and he told me they stand behind their product and would make any modifications necessary, but itís expensive and a hassle to ship it back and forth. Also, if you canít use the attached front picatinny rail, can you remount it further back under the forearm section ?
Old 12-26-2020, 04:45 PM
Ken_N

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From what I can tell right now the action is not sitting far back enough. The bolt touches the front of the slot in the chassis when it closes.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:12 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For the price paid there should not be any issues with the installation. I would not be happy and request a new replacement.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:07 PM
Ken_N

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What I learned today...

The magazine release button, with itís super strong spring, rubs and pushes the action forward as you put them together.

The safety also rubs against the side and pushes the action to one side as you put them together.

Now that I figured that out, and filed away some metal from the chassis that the safety lever was rubbing on, I can reliably put it together and tighten it up.

I also filed away some metal that the front of the bolt lever seemed to be rubbing.

I like the way the action and barrel sit in the chassis now. It looks straight and plenty of clearance at the fore end for the barrel.

The problem that I still have is I cannot put the safety on when the bolt is closed. I took a close look at the action, and when the bolt is closed and the trigger is holding the weight of the hammer, when you move the safety to ďonĒ a little lever moves a bit. When the bolt is open and you move the safety to ďonĒ, this little lever does not move.

My guess now is this little lever doesnít have the clearance to move. I looked at the wood stock and they leave a nice big clear space for the safety mechanism and itís levers. The chassis seems to try to leave a minimal space for everything.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Hearing all the problems youíre having makes me hesitant now to order one myself. You shouldnít have to file and hand fit a $500 chassis in my opinion. If I were you Iíd call them up and demand another chassis, or at least require them to pay the shipping charges to modify yours.
Old 12-27-2020, 02:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
What I learned today...

The magazine release button, with itís super strong spring, rubs and pushes the action forward as you put them together.

The safety also rubs against the side and pushes the action to one side as you put them together.

Now that I figured that out, and filed away some metal from the chassis that the safety lever was rubbing on, I can reliably put it together and tighten it up.

I also filed away some metal that the front of the bolt lever seemed to be rubbing.

I like the way the action and barrel sit in the chassis now. It looks straight and plenty of clearance at the fore end for the barrel.

The problem that I still have is I cannot put the safety on when the bolt is closed. I took a close look at the action, and when the bolt is closed and the trigger is holding the weight of the hammer, when you move the safety to ďonĒ a little lever moves a bit. When the bolt is open and you move the safety to ďonĒ, this little lever does not move.

My guess now is this little lever doesnít have the clearance to move. I looked at the wood stock and they leave a nice big clear space for the safety mechanism and itís levers. The chassis seems to try to leave a minimal space for everything.
They should refund your $$ and let you keep the chassis for doing their R & D for them.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:46 AM
Ken_N

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When was the 64 receiver changed? Are they all the same? I see this text on Champion’s Choice website about the 64 MPR...

Quote:
Modifications were carried out to this model of the Match 64 series in the area of the receiver. The external diameter was enlarged from 25 mm to 26 mm. This modification entails some advantages. The weight of the receiver was increased by 12 % which makes the barreled action more rigid. In addition the locking surface is enlarged by 15 % which leads to even more safety for the shooter when firing the shot. The new shape of the receiver will be continued in the firing pin nut which makes the system more elegant. In addition the old engraving on the upper side of the prism has been replaced by the more attractive „Wave-Style“.
I am wondering if this is part of the issue. I see the same text for other 64’s so I think they are all the same.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:58 AM
Ken_N

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is a CZ in the same stock

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1185783
Old 12-28-2020, 12:39 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Have you called them to inquire about the issues youíre having ? When was youíre MPR a manufactured, Iím curious to know if mine would have the same issues.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:20 PM
Ken_N

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I won’t be calling them for now, I worked on it again this morning, everything seems to be working now. I blackened with a sharpie the shiny metal that I filed to see if anything was still rubbing, and I could see the safety lever was still rubbing a bit. Filed some more, blackened it, put it together, repeat, and then I could move the safety when the bolt was closed.

I wasn’t checking like this before. It might have been only the safety lever rubbing, and I might have been chasing some other false ideas. I did file in one other spot that I thought might have been holding the safety mechanism from moving, but I do not think it made any difference.

So now I think it was just two issues, the safety lever rubbing, and then the magazine release button pressing against the chassis which is only an issue when you are trying to line the action screws up.

My magazine release button spring is very strong, and the magazine sits very flush, so even in the wood stock it is very hard for me to operate, and I would say the release button presses against the wood stock too.

The safety in the wood stock is also tough to operate.

Some of your other questions. The picatinny rail at the front end won’t fit with the fat MPR barrel. I think they expect you to use this for a bipod, but other people with the G10 chassis say if you do that it is too flexible. I have a bipod with an ARCA clamp coming and I plan to use that.

The cheek rest may or may not be in the way if you want to get the bolt out or use a cleaning rod. I haven't set my height yet, the way I have it now it is not in the way.

I purchased my MPR over the past summer, it is marked “BK”, I think that is the year code. I think this means 2019 manufacture.

Last edited by Ken_N; 12-28-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:23 PM
Ken_N

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
When was the 64 receiver changed? Are they all the same? I see this text on Championís Choice website about the 64 MPR...

I am wondering if this is part of the issue. I see the same text for other 64ís so I think they are all the same.
To answer my own question, it looks like the 64 action changed around 1999.