Remington 740 - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:18 PM
CD2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

I keep an eye out for a 742 in .243 win.
Saw one in 6mm, no thanks.

7400 has bigger lugs to avoid chew, maybe a design change about rotation as well.

A Model Four or Six in .308 or .243 would be cool.
Kinda pimp.

Do like the looks of the old 742's.
Have an old 760 ADL in .35 rem.

They handle sweet (IMHO).
Old 12-22-2020, 03:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I took apart the rifle yesterday. After removing the forearm, I discovered there were pitting on the barrel. Might call Remington if they would replace the barrel at their factory or I might replace it myself. Just when I found a good load for the rifle, oh well.

So, all you 742, 7400 owners! Remove the forearm and examine the barrel for rust. You can not see it from the top. You have to remove the forearm. Make sure to oil the rails and the all metal parts, including the barrel.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:41 PM
CD2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The gun has been deemed by Remington to be obsolete. I seriously doubt theyd have the parts to fix it. And considering the current state of rhe company......

Exterior rust is cosmetic. If you want a bbl, have to be used and then proly pay to have it swapped. Takes a kinda sorta special tool.

Id steel wool the rust off and gunkote it and go bang bang bang.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:46 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The pitting is pretty bad. Yeah, I don't think it is worth to have it re-barrel. Most likely the barrel itself is about $180 and labor is extra. There is a special tool to loosing the barrel nut. I tried filing a few spots. It is kind of deep. I re-blue a few spots I filed. When time comes, I will take apart the gun and sell off the stock and forearm.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:52 AM
CD2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Some folks have filled pits to look presentable with Durafill, then of course Dura coated the gun after.

I dunno what other products there might be.

If its not where it can be seen (underside), Id just have it Gunkoted or Cerakoted.
When Brownells will get more flat back Gunkote I have no idea.

Its worked well for me cleaning up a few neglected 1100 Remingtons (purchased in such condition).

The ol lady did say it stunk up the house oven curing it. I didn't think so
Old 12-23-2020, 10:55 AM
CD2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you want to kinda sorta protect then metal but go cheap.
I did an aluminum Jeep wheel w etching primer and wheel paint, let it dry for a week, and then spray can clear coated.

It worked well and was a PITA to remove later LOL

You might get by w degrease, shoot the offending area w barbecue grill paint, then a couple coats of matte clear.

Note: the Painter's Choice clear coat stuff is VERY stinky. Def do it outside.
Or endure the wrath of the Mrs.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
thanks for the info
Old 12-23-2020, 09:36 PM
wolfzinAZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get a video from AGI and it will allow to do everything necessary to work on these rifles. They are quite easy and you can readily buy parts on Ebay and other websites. You don't need a smith to work on these. Mine has no problems and feeding is 100% reliable. Just keep them clean!
Old 12-23-2020, 09:39 PM
wolfzinAZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspice View Post
The pitting is pretty bad. Yeah, I don't think it is worth to have it re-barrel. Most likely the barrel itself is about $180 and labor is extra. There is a special tool to loosing the barrel nut. I tried filing a few spots. It is kind of deep. I re-blue a few spots I filed. When time comes, I will take apart the gun and sell off the stock and forearm.
If you do rebarrel the 740 it is a simple process to fix the warming effect on the bullets POI! Completely explained in AGI video.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:38 AM
dotchief
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I

have my Dad's 742 in .244 Remington! I restocked it years ago with a thumbhole stock and it sits in my brother's safe for coyotes. Quick, fast handling semi-auto. No pics. Sorry.

Pat G