New member with question about Hammer strut pin on mark III 22/45 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:42 AM
blazinglead
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New member with question about Hammer strut pin on mark III 22/45

Hello new member here with question about Hammer strut pin in mark 3 22/45.

A month or 2 ago I started having intermittent FTF's , at first it was once in awhile and then it got to be 3-4 per magazine. After a detail strip and close examination I found that the hammer strut pin had bent and pulled out of the hammer from the side without the head on it. It also had a clearly defined groove from the hammer strut in it. After I drove it out I used an appropriate size drill bit to pin the hammer strut back in place and ground off the excess material. It was a snug fit requiring gentle tapping to install and has stayed in place so far.

My question after all the rambling above is I know the actual pin is softer because it should be staked in but does anyone know if the part is designed to be sacrificial to prevent damage to other components. My tempa- permanent fix solved my FTF issue and I have fired about 4,000 rounds since then but I was just curious if anyone with experience on the subject knew if this could cause further damage down the road.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:00 PM
stewswanson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pin should not bend

I don't think the pin should bend or wear a groove where it rides. I have not seen this on any of my Mk. 3's. However, I might guess that it could have been bent by someone trying to force the lever closed when they did not know how to reassemble the pistol.Was this a used pistol?. If so we can blame the previous owner.Your repair sounds like it should be fine.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:46 PM
blazinglead
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No I bought the pistol new and Never had an issue with reassembly. I was researching on the internet for awhile and could not really come up with anything much on the topic. It probably has 25-30 K rounds through it, not a drop in the bucket compared to some peoples round counts. maybe it got built on a friday. Thanks for you reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2019, 07:57 AM
1911CCW
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have done quite a bit of Mark III work and own a 22/45 myself. I have never seen that problem before. Did you give Ruger a call? They might just swap out the parts in question free of charge.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:56 AM
blazinglead
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have and they said I would have to send the pistol back to them for repair, not worth the hassle in my opinion. They also don't sell pin itself, I have sourced the pin itself online and since I'm running factory stock hammer and trigger components with just a polish job on them I will probably just keep my eye out if someone is cleaning out a junk drawer and has one to unload since a lot of folks swap these out for aftermarket parts. Thanks for your reply
Old 08-29-2019, 01:13 PM
stewswanson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Consider a VQ sear

You mention having a stock parts with a little polishing done. Have you considered a VQ sear. IMHO this is best single improvement you can make to a Mk.