am I wasting my time -- accuracy with takedown - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:41 AM
smitty010203

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

New to the forum, first post actually. I was a bit surprised to read what everyone was saying about the accuracy of the 10/22 takedown. At the same time however my takedown has been pretty modified. To start off, with my takedown I can consistently cover up a 5 and even 10 round group with a dime at 50 yards which is basically 1/2" groups at 50 yards. Now for the kicker, my setup.

Volquartsen takedown barrel.
VG2000 trigger
Nightforce SHV 5-25x50, or.. a SHV 4-14x56, have done it with both
Magpul hunter takedown stock
Spectre II suppressor
CCI Standard or Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match.

One of the biggest things that changed my accuracy was the takedown screw. After some pretty thorough testing I found that an extremely light 10# yielded the best results out of my gun.

One other factor that will greatly effect the accuracy is how the takedown is shot. If you go prone and fire off a few shots, then adjust and load the bipod up even a little bit, you will be off the mark.

So I just wanted to throw that out there. 1/2" groups with a takedown 22 can be done with a few upgrades.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:52 AM
bunnytoo
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty010203 View Post
New to the forum, first post actually. I was a bit surprised to read what everyone was saying about the accuracy of the 10/22 takedown. At the same time however my takedown has been pretty modified. To start off, with my takedown I can consistently cover up a 5 and even 10 round group with a dime at 50 yards which is basically 1/2" groups at 50 yards. Now for the kicker, my setup.

Volquartsen takedown barrel.
VG2000 trigger
Nightforce SHV 5-25x50, or.. a SHV 4-14x56, have done it with both
Magpul hunter takedown stock
Spectre II suppressor
CCI Standard or Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match.

One of the biggest things that changed my accuracy was the takedown screw. After some pretty thorough testing I found that an extremely light 10# yielded the best results out of my gun.

One other factor that will greatly effect the accuracy is how the takedown is shot. If you go prone and fire off a few shots, then adjust and load the bipod up even a little bit, you will be off the mark.

So I just wanted to throw that out there. 1/2" groups with a takedown 22 can be done with a few upgrades.
Half inch groups at 50 are definitely doable.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:36 PM
WPWarhawk
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to WPWarhawk
I must have gotten a good one. When the TD first came out, I bought the first one I saw, stainless version. All Iíve done to it is adjusted the take down mechanism where itís tight to remove or reinstall the barrel. And I added a cheap Sightmark reflex sight. I have been pleasantly surprised at how accurate and reliable it is.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:38 PM
SLee84

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam_ppp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLee84 View Post
I have an early TD that's totally stock other than a 2-7 Redfield. I've never had any trouble with accuracy shooting squirrels an ground hogs. It'll shoot 3/4-1.5 inches at 50 yds. with Rem. GBs. That said, I don't take it apart very often. When it was new I did an I learned the tension is very important on the nut to make it tight an keep the POI. But I still noticed it would move a little, not much really but around an inch. I didn't always have a chance to rezero so that's why I don't take it apart often.
If you don’t take it apart often, why spend the additional $ for a takedown?
jam
Well I got it on sale for not much more than regular one, I don't remember how much. An my dad has a regular one so I wanted something different. An I thought it was cool idea to have a gun that broke in two. That's about it. Lol
Old 09-05-2018, 07:19 PM
mikem

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
There's accurate and then there's accurate.

This is a 50yd target shot by my unadorned, unmodified Takedown.

Not super-accurate, but accurate enough for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3037_zpsd781089b.jpg (84.6 KB, 62 views)
Old 09-10-2018, 02:45 PM
Kandaje

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Greetings...

I don't think many of these people have much horse packing experience.

I've spent at least 2 years doing exactly what you described. I wouldn't hesitate
a moment taking my 10/22 takedown with me. In fact, I'd probably no go without it!

You aren't looking for nor expecting a "Target" rifle. Just an exceptionally good bullet
tool. Good enough to get lunch, dispose of varmints and help eradicate pests.
Something you can pack and quickly assemble to dispatch a munchible bunny,
or have fun ventilating those pesky empties before the sun sets...

While I'm more inclined to recommend a non breakdown rifle, personally, I'd reach
for my 10/22 takedown over any of the others, because I've actually packed a horse
to spend a few days in the middle of nowhere...

Keep in mind, that I'd also have a big (deer) caliber in a rifle scabbard on the horse too,
in addition to a .22 pistol and a 9mm...

But then, I'm a gun nut...

Last edited by Kandaje; 09-10-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:06 PM
JTJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recently bought a TD and have been playing with it. It is stock except for fiber optic sights and a pic rail. Accuracy so far is disappointing. I put 10 shots each of 10 different rounds through it today (HV, SHV, SV and subsonic) at 50 yards and the best was Blazer. Stingers shot better than expected and Velocitor was the only round it jammed on. I had removed the barrel band but I will replace it next trip. I will play with the barrel tension. I had a scope issue today. I noticed the variable adjustment would not turn after 150 rounds. I suspect it locked up sooner since it was shooting high when I started the 10 target string. When I got it home I removed the scope and it turned. Something torqued it, possibly the pic rail heated up. It is torqued down and blue loctite. It did not come loose. Rings were the old Weaver steel rings. My old 10-22 with the folding stock is a lot more accurate. So is my Charger.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:11 PM
rugerguy211

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've never bench rested my TD so can't speak to it's accuracy vs a CZ or Anschutz, but it most certainly holds zero perfectly well. The shots I made when I first bought it a couple of years ago can still be made after dozens of take downs and put together's. I've also never adjusted the barrel nut.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:37 AM
mykdee
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I get great accuracy from my Takedown, especially when you consider what the original design was intended for. At no point was a Takedown made for bench rest accuracy, but I can consistently, pretty much every shot, hit a 6" gong at 200 yards in the prone position. That's pretty accurate for a survival/backpacking rifle!
Old 09-27-2018, 05:11 PM
JTJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I torqued the action screw to 18 inch lbs on the factory stock and replaced the barrel band. It tightened up considerably. The old Weaver rings were causing a torquing problem on the scope so I changed to quick release rings with 4 screws each and that problem went away but it made the cheek weld problem worse. I installed a Vortex Venom 2 moa red dot and sighted it in. The Venom is much clearer than the TRS25. I was able to hold 20 Federal bulk 36 grain in the 2" bull at 50 yards with the red dot. Someone left a 5" splatter target at 100 yards and I was able to get 10 rounds into it once I figured out the hold over. Almost all in the lower half. Now I will have to look at a trigger. It is not horrible but not great either. Breaks clean but a hard pull. I held off on the trigger to see if it deserved one. Next will be the 10 targets and 10 different rounds again.
Mikem, I would have been happy with that target. Mine was about double that except for the Blazer.

Last edited by JTJ; 09-27-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:20 PM
lostinthewoods
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Literbike View Post
Is it still a takedown in that configuration?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2018, 11:46 AM
JTJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ordered a BX trigger from Brownell's. $49.99 free ship M7R.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:03 PM
Hyhodeb
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep I have that trigger

I shoot mine with a BX trigger also. My complaint is the groups move around with every mag change. Using a Bug Buster scope and it is on tight. Removing the barrel doesnít change anything but changing mags or even reloading the same one causes the POI to move all around the 2Ē target dots. If I get it zeroed in on the center which say takes 5 shots and move to a different target dot I can get the last five in the mag to group fairly tight. Reload the mag an it is shooting outside the dot in a random direction never just left or low or at 2 oíclock. Frustrating as all get out. Think the scope is the problem?
Old 01-07-2019, 12:11 PM
jam_ppp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
could it be a parallax issue? Is it when you move your face, and now have a new sight picture, - is that when the group moves?

UTG is a good scope, and you should make sure you have the AO adjusted for your range. I have my BB mounted on my son's (non TD) and it's accurate mag to mag.
Your's should be too.

Make sure it's not you vs. the scope.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:23 PM
Hyhodeb
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I donít think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam_ppp View Post
could it be a parallax issue? Is it when you move your face, and now have a new sight picture, - is that when the group moves?

UTG is a good scope, and you should make sure you have the AO adjusted for your range. I have my BB mounted on my son's (non TD) and it's accurate mag to mag.
Your's should be too.

Make sure it's not you vs. the scope.
I shoot other 22lr rifles with scopes and donít have any issues like I have with this rifle.
Shot a friends 10-22 with a bull barrel yesterday it has a scope with a 100 yd n/a parallax setting. At 30 yds on 6x could hit POA consistently with 3 different ammo and FPS. A Tasco 3-12 power scope with cheap mounting rings. Moved out to 75 yds on 12x and still hitting in a 1Ē group with cheap ammo.
I really would like to get rid of the TD and get something else. It has BX trigger JWH bolt Magpul stock and the Bug Buster. I think Iíll take a beating on a trade-in lol.