Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:18 PM
doghunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Special edition (?) Remington 572

A guy at work has an older 572 that was passed down to him that is different than any I have seen. The stock looks the color of walnut, but doesn't have much grain (he's calling it poplar). The checkering pattern is different also. the pattern is kinda rounded off on the pistol grip and appears to be cut and not stamped. The checkering on the forearm looks like the design you used to see on Remington 11-48 shotguns (seems I've heard it referred to as 5 diamond?). The magazine tube and the lug that holds it, along with the trigger pins, appear to be satin nickle or some type of matte chrome? despite being fancy in every other way, it lacks the sights of the BDL model and has the sights of the cheaper model.

Any ideas what he has and value? He doesn't want to sell it, but we were curious. Thanks
Old 06-16-2020, 04:10 PM
kaynine
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
It sounds like your workmate has one of the Remington Model 572 "Lightweight" rifles produced in the late 1950's. There were three variations. The Buckskin Tan, the Crow Wing Black, and the Teal WingBblue.

Here are two of them, the Buckskin Tan and the Crow Wing Black. The Teal Wing Blue has escaped me for a long time and they are very hard to find, especially in very good to excellent original condition. If they were rode hard, they'd show it because their Al components and special "sun grain" walnut stock finish were not well suited to rough handling. Condition makes a very big difference in the value of these particular rifles.

HTH

Last edited by kaynine; 06-16-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:47 PM
doghunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's it! It looks exactly like the top one in your pics. I never knew they made those. Thanks for the info.

FYI. There is one of the Teal wing blue ones on gun broker right now. It can be yours for the small sum of $2500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2020, 06:37 PM
kaynine

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghunter View Post
That's it! It looks exactly like the top one in your pics. I never knew they made those. Thanks for the info.

FYI. There is one of the Teal wing blue ones on gun broker right now. It can be yours for the small sum of $2500.
There's a lot of factors to consider before acquiring a firearm, and one of them for me is $$$. Thanks for the heads up on the Teal Wing Blue LW rifle, but I'll be a spectator only on that one:-)
Old 06-27-2020, 01:43 AM
No-Bull-2day
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I purchased a Buckskin Tan version in used but not abused condition a while ago. Probably paid too much (600) but had to have it for my collection as I had never seen one before!
Old 06-29-2020, 02:58 PM
Sebranek

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had all three versions of the lightweights but had too many .22s and needed to clear some out, so I sold the lightweights a couple of weeks ago at an auction. The prices they brought fell right in line with how common/rare each version is and may be of interest to others here as a point of reference. The Buckskin Tan brought $700, the Crow Wing Black, $900 and the Teal Wing Blue, $1675.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:01 PM
kaynine

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Well, that's good to know. Glade I acquired my two examples 20 years ago, long before John Gylde and Roy Marcot came out with their book on "Reminton .22 Rimfire Rifles". Sometimes commonly available knowledge can be both useful and expensive:-)
Old 06-30-2020, 08:07 AM
shine

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynine View Post
It sounds like your workmate has one of the Remington Model 572 "Lightweight" rifles produced in the late 1950's. There were three variations. The Buckskin Tan, the Crow Wing Black, and the Teal WingBblue.

Here are two of them, the Buckskin Tan and the Crow Wing Black. The Teal Wing Blue has escaped me for a long time and they are very hard to find, especially in very good to excellent original condition. If they were rode hard, they'd show it because their Al components and special "sun grain" walnut stock finish were not well suited to rough handling. Condition makes a very big difference in the value of these particular rifles.

HTH
Those are two very nice rifles !