Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:39 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Camera for closeups

I'm looking for a camera recommendation.

The phone camera I have is great for landscapes, but it sucks for closeups. It always autofocuses on whatever is furthest from the lens instead of what's bracketed in the "focus box" overlay. There is no manual control, or zoom capability. Additionally, if the detail I'm trying to capture is put close enough to force it into focus, the camera blocks the lighting so all I get is shadows and reflections. It drives me crazy!

I want a camera that can capture fine details of small parts. Anything from as large as a rifle bolt, to as small as the face of a firing pin. I want to be able to control the focus, and some amount of zoom capability would be awesome. I prefer optical zoom over digital, but if detail can be in focus with digital - that would be okay too.

I don't have a problem with cropping or downscaling the pics to upload on forums like RFC. I'm also kind of hoping there's something out there that won't cost an arm and a leg. Maybe a couple hundred bucks or less.

Any suggestions? TIA.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:44 PM
lonestardiver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are a few things in play here...
All lenses have a minimum focus distance and if you are too close it wonít focus so it may be trying to find something it can focus on.
Then you have the magnification of the lens and itís field of view.

You can go with a DSLR and get a macro lens to get down close...again limited by the minimum focus distance. Some of the higher end point and shoots do fairly well as well as the mirror less digital cameras which will be about as much as a DSLR.

Glass for a DSLR and a mirror less camera can get into some $$$ especially if you are looking for good fast glass.

Also once you start getting close in lighting and shadows become an issue. Zooms are good but the longer the lens, in many cases the longer the minimum focus distance.

Some of Tamron and Sigma zooms are listed as macro lenses.

If you buy used with a little looking around you can get into this for not large amounts of cash.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:00 PM
Dean1151
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Add on kit?

Though you did not mention what type of cell phone you have there are many kits available for the cell phone. Most are not too costly. One I have been looking at but not purchased yet; https://www.amazon.com/Xenvo-iPhone-.../dp/B01A6D2JVI. Its macro might be what you are looking for. Good Luck and keep us posted on how it goes. Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020, 09:18 PM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have one.

Does what you want it for, Leica lens.

It's darn near impossible to take a bad picture with this camera

Old 05-26-2020, 03:01 AM
collierr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Sony RX10 Mark III for close ups
Old 05-26-2020, 12:20 PM
Southern1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
I'm looking for a camera recommendation.

I want a camera that can capture fine details of small parts. Anything from as large as a rifle bolt, to as small as the face of a firing pin. I want to be able to control the focus, and some amount of zoom capability would be awesome. I prefer optical zoom over digital, but if detail can be in focus with digital - that would be okay too.

Any suggestions? TIA.
I have had good luck with Nikon Coolpix cameras. Cost less than $100. They have a close-up mode. When used the lens extends all the way out then cams past the end and comes back in. I was using these for pictures of small parts or details (like small cracks) for work.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:39 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dean has the best idea for your. I have a set and it has a very good micro lens set-up. I've used it for closeups and also for wide angle shots. The lenses are fantastic and it's the cheapest way for you to get what you want without spending a fortune.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:23 AM
wjritchie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are a number of digital microscopes that go , 20 to 400 power , they use your phone and an app , Tinyscope is one of the available ones , the results are quite good from the people I know that have them as well as digital borescopes for the phone . Just a thought . WJR

Last edited by wjritchie; 05-28-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:22 PM
rimfiresrule2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I forget the series of my 10yr old Canon but it takes awesome pics, near or far, was old tech when I bought it for $100, maybe. I found another at a thrift store and bought it for $15. I have a super clear pic of the inside of a CCI SV round, taken with a tripod.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:22 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
fwiw,

im sure you want someone to tell you want to buy, but i dont do that. There are fan boys for everything out there so what i may like, you may not or 99% may not. So i leave those hard decisions up to you.

heres what i used to find my PnS cameras.

https://www.imaging-resource.com

its up to you how much work you want to do on this. If you want to browse the site, you may find that you use the various filters to find a camera.

If you want, you can look for a used electronic shop in your area and see what they have for used. ive seen used digital PnS cameras at goodwill and places like that.

or if you have any (used) camera shops in your area you can look there too.

You have an idea on what you want, so if you decide to do some shopping keep in mind that you are not the first person wanting to do what you want.

If you want, you can look at ebay/craigslist too. But i would do some minimal research on whats for sale and go from there.

here are some hints.....again, these hints are what i use to buy my camera and note what i want a camera for is different than what you want it for....

> tri pod mount.

> built in flash

> type of SD/memory card. if the memory type has a small capacity, i look at what is available as in large cap card and cost.

> picture format. I may want to tweak the photo, so i look for RAW and i think there is a new format out there.

> Movies. I use the movie feature too.

> zoom. wide <> telephoto. Again, my needs are different so im looking for something in the 28 ~ 250mm+ range

> Battery. I look at how many photos i can take with 1 charge. And i also get a 2nd battery.

> grip/controls. If possible i try to find one to handle so i can see how the grip fits and if i can operate the controls while gripping the camera. I may sometimes operate it with 1 hand.

> connectivity. Once you get your camera you will need to figure out how to get the files from the camera/card to your lap/desktop/tablet... so you can look for a camera with a memory format that will fit you other device, or maybe sometime of cord such as mini-usb or get a card reader for you other toy.

you may want to look for one that has a "macro" function too. also, imo, i think your idea for "face of a fp" maybe a bit out of the league for any camera without special gear. fwiw, at one time INTEL had an inexpensive USB microscope. I havent seen one in a long time, but you may have to search for one. Also, there are USB type microscope out there that will do some rudimentary things.

good luck

Last edited by bangbang; 06-26-2020 at 09:25 PM.