Belgian Challenger brought back from Dead...Picture Heavy - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:37 PM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

To M2HB.....

If you will be speaking to the Spirol folks, here are the pins I asked for and got to possibly use as retaining pins for the firing pin. They will be a tad too long, but better longer than too short. We can cut down length.

- 3mm dia x 10 mm long.
- Item # 45070
In the "Description" field on the label, I find-->
"CLDP 3. x 10. MBK - ISO 8750"

Old 10-12-2015, 02:15 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I am in contact with them. I can't wait to give them a try.

Has anyone tried a BuckMark firing pin spring in the Challenger pistols?
Old 10-12-2015, 03:44 PM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
M2HB... I needed to replace ALL springs in this project gun. I had a stash on-hand for some of the springs, but I didn't have a full complement of required Challenger springs, so I had to buy others.

I will try Buckmark Firing Pin spring # B5150003 in this Belgian Challenger. It fits fine and does not seem too strong or weak simply by the "feel". I'm sure it will allow a full SMACK by the hammer, and the remainder is only to see if it's strong enough to retract the pin...seems it will do that. I recall the price was something like $1.25 from Browning. Best to bundle the order with other stuff to make shipping more reasonable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2015, 05:41 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSC View Post
M2HB... I needed to replace ALL springs in this project gun. I had a stash on-hand for some of the springs, but I didn't have a full complement of required Challenger springs, so I had to buy others.

I will try Buckmark Firing Pin spring # B5150003 in this Belgian Challenger. It fits fine and does not seem too strong or weak simply by the "feel". I'm sure it will allow a full SMACK by the hammer, and the remainder is only to see if it's strong enough to retract the pin...seems it will do that. I recall the price was something like $1.25 from Browning. Best to bundle the order with other stuff to make shipping more reasonable.

If the spring fits and allows for the pin to go forward and retract, I'll bet it will work fine. I can't imagine the firing pins between the two pistols are significantly different in weight.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:53 PM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I agree M2HB.... I think not only firing pin weight but maybe even configuration. I need to check my file of pictures but I think CII or CIII firing pins are very close to CI in overall size and shape.

As you say, we should do a concerted effort to see which parts interchange or are close in dimensions, to keep these original Belgian Brownings running. I'd certainly contribute my small findings to such a thread...let's keep that thought alive. Maybe a point for a separate discussion thread.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:16 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I've mentioned having a "sticky" for other sources of parts way back when Chim and I were trying to figure out what BuckMark parts will fit the Belgium Browning pistols. My first BM part usage was a "V" disconnector spring.

We need to get a moderator to make a "sticky" and add what parts will work, and aftermarket sources for parts.

Way back when we started doing this, Triple K mags wouldn't hold the slide back on the Challenger and Medalist after the last shot. Today, they seem to work. Times change, and sources change. Soon, Commemorative Arms and WGP will probably run out of parts, or the prices will become prohibitively expensive.

By the way, are you going to use a BuckMark buffer in your "fire" Challenger?
Old 10-12-2015, 09:01 PM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Buckmark "white" buffer is already sitting ready to be used....trimmed in both directions to fit ... part number B5150005
Old 10-13-2015, 07:41 AM
murderman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSC View Post
Buckmark "white" buffer is already sitting ready to be used....trimmed in both directions to fit ... part number B5150005
The Medalist that I bought recently does not have a buffer in it, and the schematic / parts list that I have for that model does not show one. The recoil spring guide fits precisely into the frame in a different fashion than all of my Buckmarks.

Is the Challenger different from the Medalist in this regard, or is installing the buffer some form of "performance enhancing" modification?

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:33 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderman View Post
The Medalist that I bought recently does not have a buffer in it, and the schematic / parts list that I have for that model does not show one. The recoil spring guide fits precisely into the frame in a different fashion than all of my Buckmarks.

Is the Challenger different from the Medalist in this regard, or is installing the buffer some form of "performance enhancing" modification?

Thanks.
Chim came up with the idea years ago when we were trying to figure out which BM parts would fit in the Belgium Brownings. The Belgium pistols did not have a buffer originally. I have been using one in my Challenger since then and I have never had any issues. You just trim down the late model (white) buffer and put a little radius on the bottom rear of it to fit against the Belgium pistol's recoil lug. It really makes a difference in the feel of the recoil. You no longer have metal against metal. In my opinion, the early Nomads with the alloy frame really need it more than the steel framed pistols, but it helps in all of them.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:59 AM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
M2HB describes this clearly. The buffer has a recessed hole in it where the guide rod fits through and allows still a manageable portion of the end-shaft to enter the locating-hole in the rear frame post. The frame for the Medalist and Belgian Challenger are functionally the same, aside from the serial number letter code that identifies one from the other.

See here---post #72--->

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...+buffer&page=5

I mention "white" and the part number, as there is another version in black and it's easy to get the wrong "Buckmark buffer".

Last edited by IPSC; 01-21-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:08 PM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Well guys..... keep your fingers crossed. Dis-assembled gun was handed over to the plater today..... I'm going hard-chrome for this project.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:51 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
great looking save , i might have been hesitant to even start with that one - you had the vision it seems , turned out extremely nice .
Old 10-19-2015, 01:56 PM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
To "A square 10". Thank you....but we're not done yet. I certainly *hope* the gun will turn out nice...as it still needs to be tested for strength ("string fired"). After all the parts are returned from the plater.. after it's re-assembled and test fired, then "yes" it would be GREAT if we then can say it "turned out nice". I am stoked and certainly *hope* so !!!

Old 10-19-2015, 05:51 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I doubt that there is going to be any safety issues with the pistol. The 22lr doesn't have that kind of pressure, and you are dealing with a high quality firearm, not one made out of Zamac.
It pays to be careful, but I wouldn't be overly concerned either.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:55 PM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
M2HB....

On the one hand, I tend to agree with you that I will likely *not* find a safety problem with the gun....as I mentioned the silver soldered front sight ramp was still attached until I started to drive out the cross-pin ( when it finally did loosen), the gold plated trigger did not lose gold, only "some" of the springs really lost their temper, etc.....

However, I will be cautious.

I would not short-change the lowly 22LR. Here are some operating pressures as listed by SAAMI:

22LR = 24,000 psi
.380 auto = 21,500 psi
38 special = 17,000 psi ( +p = 18,500 psi)
.45 auto = 21,000 psi

From here---> http://www.lasc.us/SAAMIMaxPressure.htm

So....no matter what, the first shots will be via "String" from a protected position.