Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Jeffrey Nihart

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wink Jack-o-lopes

Everyone knows that the 17HMR was designed for hunting only one trophy animal; the majestic jack-o-lope!
Every other game animal is either too big or too small for this cartridge.

I just thought all you crow, groundhog, squirrel, and coyote hunters need to be told for once and forever, that if you want to shoot anything else but jack-o-lopes, you need to get another gun.

Jack-o-lopes also require pretty girls in camo wicked weasel dot com bikinis, clacking rocks in front of an open burlap bag held between their knees, to call them in.

Sorry guys, that's the truth.

Please sell your 17's so I can find better deals on ammo and stop using your 17's for anything else but jack-o-lopes.

Jeffrey Nihart
Old 02-23-2008, 08:21 PM
SamSpade
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Perfect caliber to animal match!!
Old 02-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Jim Legg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wink "jack-o-lopes"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Nihart View Post
Everyone knows that the 17HMR was designed for hunting only one trophy animal; the majestic jack-o-lope!
Every other game animal is either too big or too small for this cartridge.

I just thought all you crow, groundhog, squirrel, and coyote hunters need to be told for once and forever, that if you want to shoot anything else but jack-o-lopes, you need to get another gun.

Jack-o-lopes also require pretty girls in camo wicked weasel dot com bikinis, clacking rocks in front of an open burlap bag held between their knees, to call them in.

Sorry guys, that's the truth.

Please sell your 17's so I can find better deals on ammo and stop using your 17's for anything else but jack-o-lopes.

Jeffrey Nihart
Only a farmer from Indiana would misspell jackalopes! Having been to Douglas, Wyoming (home of the jackalope) several times, I have seen lots of them.
Unfortunately, all the ones I've seen have been does.
(grins)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2008, 02:03 PM
'IKE'
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Legg View Post
Only a farmer from Indiana would misspell jackalopes! Having been to Douglas, Wyoming (home of the jackalope) several times, I have seen lots of them.
Unfortunately, all the ones I've seen have been does.
(grins)
LoL!
Old 02-24-2008, 06:16 PM
WindKnot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm pretty sure that I took the last one out here in California; I haven't seen one since! Only wish I used the 20gr FMJ instead of the 17gr V-MAX... Nothin' left for the taxidermist!
Old 02-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Jeffrey Nihart

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile ancient Indian call

The ancient Indiana tribe of whererthefukrweeee Indians left cave drawings of these beasties and that's how they wrote it on the wall.
It's always tough translating Indian to English.

Even then the female Indians clacked rocks in front of a bag to call in the majestic jack-o-lope.

The female Indian call was "YAMIBENDINGOVER-e-e-e-e-e-e-OUCH!"
Even back then the elders proclaimed;
"17 too small for song dawg"

Jeffrey Nihart
Old 02-25-2008, 07:30 AM
cletus hungwell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
which of the 20gr loads would you recomend???....i've heard those things can be dangerous if wounded!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 07:37 AM
ballistx
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
jackadeer

Funny, the only ones I have ever seen were "jackadeers". I have never seen any that were actually "jackalopes". Will just have to keep hunting I guess.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:47 AM
GunHugger

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I had this one mounted. It did take two 17HMR shots to down him. After the first shot nicked him he charged, the second shot dropped him just two feet from me. Be careful, they can be nasty.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:56 AM
'IKE'
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
I'm pretty sure that I took the last one out here in California; I haven't seen one since! Only wish I used the 20gr FMJ instead of the 17gr V-MAX... Nothin' left for the taxidermist!
Dang, that's a tough tag to draw....
Old 02-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Darkgun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Here is mine fellas. Got him hung over my living room. He is a 3x3 typ. scoring somewhere in the range of 23"green...haven't measured him since the official drying time.
It was last year, squirrel hunting on a farm here in KY. We were making our way through the woods towards a food plot I have for deer. We made our way towards the spot in between two small ridges. Where the ridges meet at the bottom there is a small thicket where we usually see rabbits, but season wasn't in so we paid no attention. Out of the corner of my eye I spot some bone stickin up out of the grass. My buddy started to rush towards the bone thinkin we had found some stagbunny antlers....I knew better. As he started to make his way he stepped in a small hole and got his foot stuck(clever human traps dug by stagbunnies...usually people are never found alive in this traps, thats why there is not really much documentation)anyhow. As he was crying like a girl because of his foot and ankle being injured and stuck, I notice the antlers are gone!!! I quickly scan the scene, find the tips of the antlers making a path around the edge of the thicket towards my friend. I quickly dropped to one knee and moved the crosshairs on the area of the stagbunny and made the elusive stagbunny cow call, knowing the bull would pop his head up since September is prime mating season before the winter hibbernation. The bunny was clueless to my presence, and as his stood on his hind legs I put some polymer in his cold, ruthless heart. He dropped like a sack of taters. Yes, you are probably thinking, "wow he saved his friend's life, he is a hero". People I am not a hero, I am a simple man, who did for my friend what my friend would have done for me.
While I have no official degree or acclaimed research, I have studied the animals very closely. Please use extreme caution around these deceptive beasts.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You gotta be sure to put Kevlar vests on your hunting dogs when hunting the 'lopes. The 'lopes are known around here to maim and kill hunting dogs. Rabies vaccination for your dogs is a must, too.
I am pounding out a couple of helmets for my dogs, too. Head injuries are common while hunting the 'lopes.

The common rifles used for hunting the 'lopes here are .30/06 and the .300 magum. I prefer my HMR with the FMJ fodder and go for the heart/lung area.

I advise hunting with partners or groups for safety's sake. The 'lopes are known to herd together most of the year. A herd of 'lopes tends to attack like a bunch of blood crazed hyenas or hogs when disturbed.

Our rut season for them runs 11 of the 12 months of the year. The bucks are especially dangerous during rut. The females come in heat once a month and for a week out of every month are especially dangerous, appearing to be completely rabid.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:13 AM
Darkgun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You must be dealin with the 'lopes that are cross bred with werewolves..they do tend to travel in packs. In Ky we NEVER...repeat NEVER take dogs. I have never seen a dog survive a stagbunny attack.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:17 AM
jimmygun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
maybe a .50 caliber head shot would be more appropriate for such beast.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Crazy Horse

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
no way

the HMR is absolutely the only mystical round able to drop the elusive jakolope!
You have to watch your back around here..the town even has a curfew in place to avoid the yunguns being victimized. The only hounds I have heard around these parts surviving one of these beests is either the jack russel or rat teareeor. Legend has it if you spot thier green glowing eyes during the hrs of the midnight sun, TNTs are the only thing able to put em down!