"Pulled the trigger" on a Medalist International ! - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-16-2020, 02:50 PM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by I6turbo View Post
Anyone interested in selling those uncomfortable, ill-fitting, factory Medalist or International Medalist grips (I don't mind if they show some wear and tear), please PM me. I'd like to acquire a set or two of them.
I have somewhat large hands so the grips should be just right for me! Don't think they will be going anywhere except on the pistol! LOL
Old 02-16-2020, 05:08 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area51guy View Post
I have somewhat large hands so the grips should be just right for me! Don't think they will be going anywhere except on the pistol! LOL
I think you said that you also have, and like, the similar Sanderson grips on your Colt, so I think you'll like the Medalist grips. I am interested in some Medalist grips if someone has some at a price that I can handle, and was tongue-in-cheek referencing the not-infrequent comment about the Medalist grips not fitting or not suiting some shooters.

The Medalist grips are supposed to be "way too big" compared to the wrap-around, thumb-overlapping-fingers grip style of lesser guns.

One thing that will NOT work is some of the target grips that were made for the Medalist (I think they may have been aftermarket grips) in the event that they are made for a smaller hand. I had this set, shown in my wife's hand, which was literally painful for me to try to shoot. They came "free" with one of the IMs that I bought, then they brought $125 when I sold them, so it worked out.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:31 PM
Area51guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Target grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by I6turbo View Post
I think you said that you also have, and like, the similar Sanderson grips on your Colt, so I think you'll like the Medalist grips. I am interested in some Medalist grips if someone has some at a price that I can handle, and was tongue-in-cheek referencing the not-infrequent comment about the Medalist grips not fitting or not suiting some shooters.

The Medalist grips are supposed to be "way too big" compared to the wrap-around, thumb-overlapping-fingers grip style of lesser guns.

One thing that will NOT work is some of the target grips that were made for the Medalist (I think they may have been aftermarket grips) in the event that they are made for a smaller hand. I had this set, shown in my wife's hand, which was literally painful for me to try to shoot. They came "free" with one of the IMs that I bought, then they brought $125 when I sold them, so it worked out.

I can see where those would be uncomfortable! I have handled but not shot other pistols with that style grip and did not particularly care for any of them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 09:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
I can see where those would be uncomfortable! I have handled but not shot other pistols with that style grip and did not particularly care for any of them!
My wife said they were comfortable for her, but they were painful for me because my hand is 4" across the knuckles where hers is 3". My entire hand was wedged into the grip with the fingers smashed together by the force of trying to close my hand around the grip enough to hold the gun. It was kinda funny, but there was zero chance of me taking the gun out to shoot it with those small grips.

As I mentioned above, I think those are some European aftermarket grips, which seem to be somewhat popular on club guns over there. I THINK that one of the reasons we've been getting so many Medalists imported here over the past year or two is that some gun laws have changed in Europe and they are making it harder and harder for clubs and others to keep their guns. Exactly what the antis would love to do here if we're stupid enough to let the camel get his nose under the tent with "common sense" changes to the country's gun laws.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:28 AM
Area51guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Browning Medalist International

First model with the high polish and round bull barrel. I picked it up yesterday and was surprised at the weight and delighted with the trigger! My big hands with long fingers fit the stocks well and even the sights are not too hard for my aging eyes to pick up! I think that I am going to like this one! When I got it home, I tried a Colt Woodsman mag but it didn't seem to want to go into the frame so I ordered a Beretta Neos mag to see if I can properly do the necessary mods needed to make them work. If so, will order some more as they are about $20 each vs $125-150 for the Browning mags! The trigger has a bit more curve than I am used to but I am sure that I will get used to that. More to come once I get it to the range!
Old 02-23-2020, 06:20 PM
Area51guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Range trip............

Had some time and nice weather today so I packed up two .22lr pistols and a .22lr revolver and headed out to the gun club. Included were a Smith and Wesson 5 screw K22 circa 1948, a Colt Woodsman Match Target also from 1948 and the "baby" in the bunch a Browning Medalist International (1st model w/round barrel) dated to 1970. This was the first trip for the BMI so I shot it first. Started on paper to see where the sights were looking (low and left) and made some adjustments to get on center. Next came a few mags shooting at falling steel plates where more fell victim to the Browning than were left standing! It (the Browning) is a fairly heavy pistol so the arms/shoulders got tired long before I was ready to stop shooting! Next came the Colt MT which I've owned for quite a few years. Once again quite a few of the plate targets bit the dust. Last came the K22. I did not hit as well with it but then again I haven't shot it very much. Practice, practice, practice! When I picked up the Browning a couple of days ago, the safety was set on the dry fire setting. Getting the safety lever moved back into the live fire mode took quite a bit of time and effort. I think with some practice changing the firing modes will not be so difficult! I shot 4 different brands of LR in the Browning. Federal, Remington, Winchester and CCI. The Browning gobbled up all of the ammo except for one failure to fire and one failure to extract/eject. Nice to have a pistol that is not brand sensitive!

Last edited by Area51guy; 02-23-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:10 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Yes Belgien Browning’s are a very nice pistols
Old 03-01-2020, 05:17 AM
Area51guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Neos magazine performance.........

I finally got a chance to take the FN 150 pistol (aka Medalist International) and the modified Neos magazine to the range for a test session. I turned out that the modified Beretta magazine worked well with one little hitch. I found that if the first round (top of mag) was seated all the way back, it would hang up on a "ledge" in the magazine well. Other than that, it ran several loads quite well. The problem was caused by my efforts to "improve" the feed lips, something I won't do on the next one! A few times, I had to give the slide a small "nudge" to get it to close on the first round to load but not really a problem. Of course, the original mag has a nice solid, quality feel so will keep an eye out for a couple at a reasonable price. The Neos modifications were not difficult to make and certainly offer a good alternative to using the pricey original mags.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:40 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
That is a beautiful pistol.

I started modifying Colt Cadet mags many years ago. That is about all I use anymore. They are almost identical to the Neos mag except for the base.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:09 AM
Area51guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Colt Cadet vs Neos mags

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
That is a beautiful pistol.

I started modifying Colt Cadet mags many years ago. That is about all I use anymore. They are almost identical to the Neos mag except for the base.
Certainly a good idea at the time, but the Colt Cadet mags are getting harder to find and are getting to be more expensive. Since I can get the Neos mags for about $20, I decided it was better to experiment on the less expensive item! I am also going to put the Colt slot in the Neos mags so that I can use them in my 2nd Model Colt Match Target pistol also. That will be cool, one mag that will work in 3 different guns!
Old 03-09-2020, 05:56 PM
Area51guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Spare magazine.........

Over the last few days I have tried to buy several different Medalist magazines but the prices quickly rose above what I wished to pay! So, I took a deep breath and ordered a Triple K mag that arrived in todays mail. To my surprise, it appears to be quite well made, even weighing about the same at an original mag! Sometime in the next day or three I will jaunt down to the range and give it a workout to see if it works as well as it looks. More to come!
Old 03-09-2020, 06:32 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Certainly a good idea at the time, but the Colt Cadet mags are getting harder to find and are getting to be more expensive. Since I can get the Neos mags for about $20, I decided it was better to experiment on the less expensive item! I am also going to put the Colt slot in the Neos mags so that I can use them in my 2nd Model Colt Match Target pistol also. That will be cool, one mag that will work in 3 different guns!
The Neos mag is almost identical except for the slot and the base.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:38 AM
Area51guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hit the jackpot!

I feel like I need to go buy a lotto ticket or go to Vegas. An acquaintance just offered to give me, free of charge, an original Browning magazine for my Medalist pistol! Judging from pictures I've seen, it even looks to be new! The way things are going these days, I needed a bit of good news! I told him thanks and that I would "pay it forward" to the next person that needed help with something. So, in that vein, if you are desperately in need of something, let me know and if I can help, I will.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:53 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
In new condition it is worth $150 or more.

I donít use my original mags anymore. I havenít for years.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:45 PM
Area51guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Neos Magazine conversion

I just found/bought another Neos magazine to convert for use in my FN 150 pistol. This will be the second one that I have done, the first works just right! In addition to thinning the thumb stud and the base plate I filled the back of the mag with JB Weld to make loading a smoother proposition. Have had a very small number of mis-feeds when using the converted mag but I think most were the fault of the ammo. I also bought a Triple K mag but it is having some feeding problems. I think the feed lips are off just a bit. Will see what I can do about that one!