Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:51 AM
BlackBat242
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
Yup! O' you forgot to calculate in at least a $150 per hour for pre-field preparation, hunting time, travel, and food prep. You could cut costs big time with a used truck, though.

The meat I've consumed from hunting is by far the most expensive meat per pound I have ever, or ever will consume. Sure is some of the best I've ever had . Good thing it isn't just about the money.
My Father always calculated it by comparing the cost of the hunting trip* to that of a normal vacation of the same duration PLUS how much the meat would have cost to buy.

The "working vacation" always came out the better deal .

* no new vehicle required, just our normal daily-driver 4WD ... Jeep, Blazer, Carryall - it varied over the years, but always 4WD. The same rifles had been used for over 25 years, he reloaded, etc.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My uncle just gave me his JM marlin model 25 22WMR... I grabbed a box of cci 30gr vmax bullets and put 5 shots in a ragged hole at 25 and 5 under a dime at 50... thatís good enough for me!!!
Old 03-18-2020, 02:01 PM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWstickman View Post
My uncle just gave me his JM marlin model 25 22WMR... I grabbed a box of cci 30gr vmax bullets and put 5 shots in a ragged hole at 25 and 5 under a dime at 50... thatís good enough for me!!!
I think that would be good enough for most folks.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:32 PM
Nerostarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm going to the shooting range (with my 22wmr of course), let me know when you gents figure out the accuracy thing...
Old 03-19-2020, 08:27 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
What's to figure out?

It's 22wmr, not one company in today's market is producing match quality cartridges.
All of it is intended for use as hunting ammo, not precision paper punching ammo.

It's when someone claims "sub-moa all day long" that the contention arises.

Some of us are more obsessed with factual information, as opposed to exaggeration, eh?

It's that little personality quirk that causes the problems.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:20 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Simple biker thought.....

'Run what ya brung'

Its all good...and just remember..."Maybe next time

pipestone
Old 03-19-2020, 05:45 PM
22Charlie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWstickman View Post
My uncle just gave me his JM marlin model 25 22WMR... I grabbed a box of cci 30gr vmax bullets and put 5 shots in a ragged hole at 25 and 5 under a dime at 50... that’s good enough for me!!!
I think that would be good enough for most folks.

I have the same results with my 2019 marlin xt-22magnum and federal black, and cci. The Fiocchi will touch 3 together and a couple in the general vicinity. Critical Defense similar too that, but I ain't blaming the ammo for "flyers". Against my nature.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:15 PM
Mossbergman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Hollow log along the Susquehanna River, Dauphin County Pa.
TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Full disclosure:

I recently picked up a Mossberg 640KD Chuckster at a local gun shop. My past experience with these has been good. However . . . .. .. .

The first range trip with the "new" 640KD and a Weaver V12 and four different types of ammo I had on hand proved less than encouraging.

I only shot at 50 yds and the best I could do in the chilly weather with the scope at 4X, was 1 1/4" for 5 shots.

It needs a lot more range time with different loads and/or maybe a different scope.
Try the WIn 40 gr, my 640s love it MOA easy even with their crappy trigger ~~JMJ~~
Old 03-19-2020, 06:25 PM
700PSS Shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is a crap shoot. I have had great and not so great. Ammo is a consideration. All in all I like the round (especially in Ruger Single Six revolvers.)

The best I have is a first generation Winchester 9422 XTR with 22" barrel and pistoll grip. That will do a ragged 1" group at 100 years with CCI 40gr. ammo. However that ammo I have is now 20 years old. I have not shot it with newer ammo.

I had a Ruger 77/22 VBZ that I considered bad at 1.5". I rated that disappointing as it was touted as a varmint/target rifle.

I have a Savage 93 bolt gun that is similar to both depending on ammo. I am happy with that rifle.

I also had a Marlin 1894M that was decent but had extraction problems. That gun was sold to a collector, who kept begging for it and paid well even with the disclosed extraction issues.

For ammo, the best I ever used was the speedy and long gone RWS (German) 40gr. solids. CCI is next, with the solids being better. I have found the various 30gr. to be disappointing. I have also used the 50 grain (Winchester???) that was pretty good in the Savage.

I have adjusted my standards on .22WMR and just do not use it for extreme accuracy.

I used to routinely take squirrels at 80-100 years with a Marlin 39A (.22RF) and a 8X scope or a Remington 581. I normally kept it shorter, but on the Game lands with heavy pressure, you had to reach out in the afternoon.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:48 PM
MegaDeadEye1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello Buckeye, I am 65 yrs old and have been shooting the 22 mag most of my life. I have killed all game that I shot at. I don't think that I would shoot a squirrel or a rabbit except in the head, because i mostly shoot CCI Maxi Mags and they will do too much damage, Here in the past 5 yrs I have killed 60+ armadillos and it blows a big exit hole!
Don't lose your confidence in the magnum.......I sure as heck ain't.....mine kills everything that I shoot at!!!!
Old 03-19-2020, 07:09 PM
deltaT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The wmr out of rifle is neat and entertaining when you have homemade reactive targets - much more so than the lr; its the power difference- but the bestest thing is when you put some wmr into a LCR

Big bummer is the cost.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:54 PM
RimfireFun

The Conch Republic and the state of Michigan
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As I've described elsewhere, I've got a RAR 8364 and I'm exceedingly happy with it's accuracy out to 100 yards. Which is great as I'm hunting hilly woods, lots of chances for long shots, which I find satisfying. I'm using Hornady 30gr V-Max. Of course I am going for front quarter shots only. It was the 4th brand I tried, so I got lucky. On the other hand, my dependable old Brno 611 will accurately shoot Winchester Supremes out to 75 or maybe 80 yards. Took me a lot of shooting to find just what the Brno liked. I do like taking both firearms out to the range and play around making the long, long shots.

.22WMR rifles can be very accurate if they are well made, and shooting the right ammo.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:49 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Full disclosure:

I recently picked up a Mossberg 640KD Chuckster at a local gun shop. My past experience with these has been good. However . . . .. .. .

The first range trip with the "new" 640KD and a Weaver V12 and four different types of ammo I had on hand proved less than encouraging.

I only shot at 50 yds and the best I could do in the chilly weather with the scope at 4X, was 1 1/4" for 5 shots.

It needs a lot more range time with different loads and/or maybe a different scope.
Yup, I agree with Mossbergman. 40g+ should give you best results. How's the trigger? They're natoriously aweful, but can be fixed. Also, the micro-rifling could be copper fouled. Be sure to give it a really good scrubbing with a good copper solvent. I also found that mine preferred contact with the barrel and stock at least 4 to 5 inches forward of the locking lug. I had floated my barrel to about an inch of the lug an spreads opened up. If yours hasn't been bedded and the barrel floated, I suspect copper fouling could be the culprit for a 1 1/4" spread at 50 yards.

Last edited by Bradical; 03-19-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:29 PM
BadgerJack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a H&K 300 with 2.5x and 6x scopes, and it will bounce a tennis ball out to- and past- 125 yards with Federal 50 grain HP, all week long.

I have a Rossi copy of a Winchester [Mode 62?] with iron sights that will do the same, if my eyes cooperate with me- iron sights are getting to be problematic for 62 year old eyes, and it is not simple to scope those pump action rifles.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:11 PM
brock1984

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My m77 stainless is great at 100m with 40g anything have put 30grain and shoots sub moa too not so flash in the wind