Struggling and need help. Is 36x too powerful? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-26-2020, 12:46 PM
PEASHOOTER67
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67

After having several 36x and looking at 25 yards I firmly think 24x40 or 26x40 is plenty but at 50 I can go either way.

As magnification goes up glass quality and resolution become more important.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 07-27-2020, 10:31 PM
flinthills
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the T-36X as well as an older Leupold 36x on two benchrest .22 I used in ARA. As others have stated about adjusting the scopes, also be sure you are taking some breaks. In ARA, shooting 25 record shots plus fouling and sighter shots are completed in 20 minutes. Then a break to change targets, clean gun etc before the next target. That can still become a bit weary on the eyes after 6 targets. Try taking a break for 5 minutes every 20 minutes are so and see if your eyes do better. My eyes as I have gotten older have less elasticity and don't focus well after couple of targets. But given 15 minutes and they are back to normal.
Come to think of it I have never noticed the elasticity problem in 3P. Again, most strings are 10 or 20 minutes.
Rich
Old 07-29-2020, 09:08 PM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks again all. I will try to play with this some more. I will attempt to adjust the AO and the eyepiece to get a clearer view.
I have recently spent time with the eye doctor, and my distance and close vision is good, but nowhere as good as it was just 2 years ago.

I am finding it a little disappointing that my CZ 455 with a cheapo 4x16 scope (although zero does change from time ot time) is giving me almost as nice groups as my Annie with the weaver.

I expect the Annie to do better once I dial in the optics.

I do very much appreciate all the input.

BTW, I am wondering, those that use glasses or contacts, do you wear them when shooting, or rely on the scope alone?
Old 07-29-2020, 09:47 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightrich View Post
Thanks again all. I will try to play with this some more. I will attempt to adjust the AO and the eyepiece to get a clearer view.
I have recently spent time with the eye doctor, and my distance and close vision is good, but nowhere as good as it was just 2 years ago.

I am finding it a little disappointing that my CZ 455 with a cheapo 4x16 scope (although zero does change from time ot time) is giving me almost as nice groups as my Annie with the weaver.

I expect the Annie to do better once I dial in the optics.

I do very much appreciate all the input.

BTW, I am wondering, those that use glasses or contacts, do you wear them when shooting, or rely on the scope alone?
I wear bifocal glasses to shoot with. I also use Weaver 46X scopes and I believe the crosshair and dot is the same size as the T-36, extremely small and it also most gets lost on the target. so getting the reticle focus is critical.

It might be as some have suggested that your ocular is not focused correctly. you need to adjust it so the crosshairs and dot are at the sharpest focus. I generally do this looking thru the scope at a light colored wall, remember you are adjusting the reticle focus and not the focus of the scope.
also keep in mind your eyes will adjust to focus in on the reticle so use short glances when adjusting the ocular. when done then adjust the focus to the range your are to shoot at.

Lee
Old 07-30-2020, 01:05 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Struggling and need help. Is 36x too powerful?

A white sheet of paper works well.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"

Last edited by PEASHOOTER67; 07-30-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:52 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As many have mentioned, higher magnification needs good glass.
16x in a scope with "ok" glass is a lot sharper and brighter than 36x in another with the same optical quality.

I've got a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16 that's quite good for the money, but everything is relative. It's like looking through a Coke bottle compared to a high end Nightforce or Leupold.

Again, as many have said, be sure the reticle is focused for your eye. If it isn't, your eye is constantly shifting to try and keep both the reticle and target image sharp.

Shoot with both eyes open. Use a blinder on the side of the scope if you have to, the same as with competition aperture sights.

Your CZ may outshoot your Annie, I wouldn't get too wrapped around that axle. You also may not have the Annie's preferred ammo yet.

.375-.450 groups at 50 are nothing to sneeze at from a light weight rifle.

I would suggest putting the T36 on the CZ, and vice versa for a few range sessions and see what happens.

The eyestrain issue is a separate problem from accuracy, though it can certainly contribute to it.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:40 PM
Currently
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get an eye exam, insurance will pay for most of it.

5 years ago, I was getting very frustrated with shooting, fine detail work and reading very fine print. Kept blaming my eyeglasses.

Went to a high end optometrist ... told me I got cataracts.

What do you mean I got cataracts, that’s for old people!

“Well, you’re not a young pup anymore.”

So, I got the cataract surgery with the toroidal lens to correct astigmatism.

20/15 left, 20/20 right.

All those problems went away.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:02 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Struggling and need help. Is 36x too powerful?

Moved

Last edited by PEASHOOTER67; 08-01-2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:58 PM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you again, I have had 2 intense eye exams recently. I wear multifocal contacts Think bifocals but in contact form.

I went out today and did more scope adjusting. I shot a .344 and a .368 group, and no I am not deducting the .222 as some do.

So I was sort of pleased. I had a separate issue with the scope, so I will post that separately as to not divert this thread.

All the replies were helpful, so I thank you all

Be safe and well

Rich