Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-07-2020, 09:42 PM
jdsmenatwork
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Biathlon 7-2 restock with Odyssey..pix added

Hi there... being somewhat disenchanted with the original stock, I started searching for an alternative... it seems aftermarket stocks are like 10 shot magazines!! So, after some cruising the Interweb, I found an Odyssey “target” stock for a 10-22. I removed the action screw components from the original stock, and after careful perusal, epoxy bedded the stock and components. The depth of the stock where the trigger and magazine came out the bottom was seriously short, so after a bit of fiddling, I took the original trigger guard, modified it, and inlet and epoxied it into the stock. The trigger was cut off, leaving just enough of the “channel” form to allow a 10-32 rod to be threaded horizontally, and epoxied into the channel, forming a trigger hanger, for an adjustable target trigger to be installed. The safety was removed to reduce the depth necessary to finish the trigger guard installation. I shall be installing a different safety asap.The interior void surrounding the magazine and trigger housing was masked and epoxy-filled, greatly adding to the rigidity of the stock in this area. The 10-22 trigger and mag housing are enormous, compared to the Russkie. Reshaped the grip/wrist ares of the stock to change it from ambidextrous to righthand only, and sprayed a coat of “stone” texture. Have a taller cantilever scope mount coming, to make things more comfortable. First shots hit the gong at 100 yards

Last edited by jdsmenatwork; 06-07-2020 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Add pix
Old 06-07-2020, 10:40 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks nice...good job

Ya if ya want too restock a Russian rifle your on your own.

Midwest Swiss
Old 07-23-2020, 04:40 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Good job, like it. However, more work than I wany to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2020, 11:15 PM
Speedo2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Has anyone installed a bipod and/or cheek pad on their otherwise stock BB-7KO?

I'm considering installing a short picatinny rail on the front end of mine for an Atlas bipod, but I'm somewhat hesitant about messing up (grinding a flat) on what has become a rather expensive (original & apparently non-replaceable) beech wood stock. The cheek pad I'm not too worried about as I can always install one of those lace-on jobs and not mess up the wood. Curious what others have done. Thanks for all responses. -S2

ETA: Great Job on the target stock, JDS!

Last edited by Speedo2; 07-29-2020 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:47 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo2 View Post
Has anyone installed a bipod and/or cheek pad on their otherwise stock BB-7KO?

I'm considering installing a short picatinny rail on the front end of mine for an Atlas bipod, but I'm somewhat hesitant about messing up (grinding a flat) on what has become a rather expensive (original & apparently non-replaceable) beech wood stock. The cheek pad I'm not too worried about as I can always install one of those lace-on jobs and not mess up the wood. Curious what others have done. Thanks for all responses. -S2

ETA: Great Job on the target stock, JDS!
Speedo--- I use a leather lace-on cheekpiece that I purchased from Brownells. Works pretty good with my set-up, and provides a decent cheek weld. As for a front bipod, if you do a proper job on a front swivel stud, the "Harris" style bipods should work OK. If you don't care for the sling stud route, I'm not sure I would go with a picatinny rail in that case. A much cleaner install would be to inlet a short section of Anschutz-style rail that would sit flush with the stock. You could then use the proper adapter dependent on the type of bipod you like. I realize you only get one shot on installing the flush mounted rail, and it would need to be done with the stock set-up in a milling machine to do it right. I've been thinking about doing a short front rail on mine as well, but then I use mine in CMP Sporter matches. The rules prohibit these types of rails, even though it just "sits" there doing nothing without any accessory attached. I'm not sure how any advantage would be gained with that rail in these matches? Rules---
Old 07-31-2020, 07:28 PM
Speedo2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info on the picatinny rail, Triggershoe; I didn't know that it would disqualify a B7-2KO from Rimfire Sporter. My trigger is already under 3 lbs, so it's already outside the allowable limits for a stock rifle. Therefore I think that I'll go ahead with installing it. I intend to re-shape the base of the rail (by precision filing it) to match the stock rather then modify the stock other than drilling a couple of small holes to bed it in place.

Another question: are accuracy improvements achievable by installing an aluminum tape pad (or pads) under the barrel at the end of the stock; sort of quasi-tuning the barrel on these rifles? -S2
Old 08-01-2020, 02:26 PM
Triggershoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Thanks for the info on the picatinny rail, Triggershoe; I didn't know that it would disqualify a B7-2KO from Rimfire Sporter. My trigger is already under 3 lbs, so it's already outside the allowable limits for a stock rifle. Therefore I think that I'll go ahead with installing it. I intend to re-shape the base of the rail (by precision filing it) to match the stock rather then modify the stock other than drilling a couple of small holes to bed it in place.

Another question: are accuracy improvements achievable by installing an aluminum tape pad (or pads) under the barrel at the end of the stock; sort of quasi-tuning the barrel on these rifles? -S2
Speedo---Re the tape pads, have you tried your 7-2 from the bench off sandbags? Most of the 7-2's I have seen shoot VERY well as is. Mine will routinely do 1/2" from 50 yards off the bags, some smaller groups on occasion. So not sure what your intended usage is, but keep in mind the barrel in the 7-2 is meant to be fully floated. For most stuff I do with my 7-2's, like lots of CMP Sporter Matches, a few ARA style "sporter class" bench matches, and a few "Woods Walk" silhouette competitions just for fun, 1/2" grouping capability is plenty good enough for me. I would SHOOT it first before fooling with any tape pads or pressure points. I think you will find it surprisingly accurate as is. You may have to try a few different ammos to find something it really "likes", but BOTH of mine shoot my current lot (it's several years old) of cheap GECO "bolt" ammo very well.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:35 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I really like my 7-2, but a bullseye rifle it is not. It will not compete with my 40X's or 52's. 1/2 inch groups are about the best I can do, sometimes it does do better if I get real lucky.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:54 PM
Triggershoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
I really like my 7-2, but a bullseye rifle it is not. It will not compete with my 40X's or 52's. 1/2 inch groups are about the best I can do, sometimes it does do better if I get real lucky.
usmc69-- Oh, it's certainly NOT a 40X or Win 52, but for a SPORTER weight rifle (<7.5 lbs w/scope), I believe it can hold it's own from the bench. Have you tried different ammos? I may have "lucked out" with my years-old case of GECO "bolt" (the really greasy stuff). I will probably be sorry when it's all gone, and I'm getting there fairly quickly
Old 08-01-2020, 03:01 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggershoe View Post
usmc69-- Oh, it's certainly NOT a 40X or Win 52, but for a SPORTER weight rifle (<7.5 lbs w/scope), I believe it can hold it's own from the bench. Have you tried different ammos? I may have "lucked out" with my years-old case of GECO "bolt" (the really greasy stuff). I will probably be sorry when it's all gone, and I'm getting there fairly quickly
Probably 20 to 30 different brands, from Eley Black Box to Wolf Match Extra.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:53 PM
Speedo2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Triggershoe & USMC69 - I'm going to try it both with and without pads later next week & will report my findings.

Perhaps I'm trying to make a silk purse from a sows ear, but being a retired geezer, I've got time on my side. I've got a 52D that will indeed shoot 1/4" at 50 yards (benched, of course), also a Kidd Supergrade and a CZ452 Style that will do almost as well, but so far I'm a little disappointed in the BB-7-2KO. I had an earlier BB that shot Federal bilk pack HV very well (1/2" groups), but I gave it away to my DIL. This one came up on GB about a year ago and I'm still sorting it out. I've not yet found it's preferred ammo; so far SK Flat Nose Match seems good, but not as good as my old one. Thanks for the input. -S2
Old 08-01-2020, 06:40 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
I've not yet found it's preferred ammo; so far SK Flat Nose Match seems good, but not as good as my old one.
I know that squeeze from 1/2 inch groups to 1/4 inch groups is like red zone scoring in football, but I suspect the KO can indeed do it ...

Enjoy!
Dave
Old 08-01-2020, 07:37 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuffington View Post
I know that squeeze from 1/2 inch groups to 1/4 inch groups is like red zone scoring in football, but I suspect the KO can indeed do it ...

Enjoy!
Dave
Try this group.....Winchester 52D at 50 yards benched 5 shot group Eley EPS. I could only wish my 7-2 would come close.

Oh well, the fun is in the trying.

Have Fun,
AJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52D target 6.13.19.jpg (40.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-02-2020, 10:48 AM
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
86% (24)
Here's the actual prints with the PDFs if you click on them for the inletting dimensions of the Biathlon Basic (which I just bought a NIB on the AM)
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...=408087&page=4
Old 08-03-2020, 06:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another option for a stock is the VBS from Lost Nation R&D. Ethan can fit action blocks to the stock which will accept the 7-2, 7-3, and 7-4 models of the Izmash.