Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:46 AM
NashvilleStage
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler128 View Post
EddieE mentioned a "Dewey rod". Do you think a .17 rod would be strong enough to use on a 270 & 30/06? It would be whole lot cheaper for me if that would work.

Has anyone used a .17 or .20 or .22 Dewey Rod on centerfire rifles? Not sure how much flex there would be...

Specifically the nylon-coated rods. That's what I'm looking at.
Go ahead and get a larger 2nd rod so you don't have to use a .17 caliber rod on your larger rifles. It'll be money well spent.

I have Dewey nylon coated .17 & .22 rods. The .17 gets used on my .22 CZ452 because the .22 rod doesn't quite fit. The .22 rod gets used for everything else, including my larger centerfire rifles.

Technically speaking, you *could* use a .17 rod (with adapters for the different threads) on the larger calibers, but I wouldn't because the .17 rod is pretty fragile. It bends really easily, and if you're not careful it'll bend itself in half if the rod gets out of line while you're pushing. The .22 rod is a lot more rugged than the .17.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:05 PM
Spike1966
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OP, allot of good advise here. Many on here really know their stuff.

I'd also look at Bore Tech rods and their CZ bore guide. I have a couple Dewey full length rods, but prefer Bore Tech as I feel they are a little stiffer and don't flex as much, especially in the smaller calibers. The handles are also very comfortable. They have a true 22 rimfire rod and I've used it in my CZ 457 with no issues. I don't have a 17 cal so can't help you there.

If you really want to see what's going on in your rifle bore and don't want to spend $1000+ on a borescope, get a $50 Teslong borescope available on Amazon.
Old 04-20-2020, 01:52 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1966 View Post
If you really want to see what's going on in your rifle bore and don't want to spend $1000+ on a borescope, get a $50 Teslong borescope available on Amazon.
I agree. The photos that I posted above were made with the Teslong.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:37 PM
teetertotter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberbeast View Post
Ooh, a cleaning thread! Such fun!!

With a 22LR, I clean it initially and shoot it. And shoot it and shoot it and shoot it. If I"m shooting it every month, it will get cleaned when the groups become patterns. If I am putting the rifle up for more than 6 months, I clean it.[/COLOR]
1.12" High, Norma TAC-22 http://beloitrifleclub.org/
Old 04-23-2020, 06:25 PM
Corkymoore
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Why do some folks say you shouldn't clean a 17HMR much. Maybe clean it every 500 - 1000 rounds?
clean it when you start to loose accuracy .cleaning does more damage than shooting I would highly recommend bore snake .CZS barrels are so tight you can damage it also get a bore rod and graphite cleaning rod for running patches ,I ruined my 455 barrel 1st day cleaning with a Dewey rod
Old 04-23-2020, 06:56 PM
JohnTheFisherman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkymoore View Post
clean it when you start to loose accuracy .cleaning does more damage than shooting I would highly recommend bore snake .CZS barrels are so tight you can damage it also get a bore rod and graphite cleaning rod for running patches ,I ruined my 455 barrel 1st day cleaning with a Dewey rod
Curious how you ruined it cleaning it the first day. What happened?
Old 04-23-2020, 07:18 PM
Richshoots

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Group measurement

Whistler, I believe groups are measured from the center line of one shot to the center line of the farthest next shot. Just sayin'.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:20 PM
Noknot

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTheFisherman View Post
Curious how you ruined it cleaning it the first day. What happened?
+1
Old 04-23-2020, 08:38 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkymoore View Post
.cleaning does more damage than shooting
I ruined my 455 barrel 1st day cleaning with a Dewey rod
Okey dokey then... might I inquire just how you damage em shooting?
Old 04-23-2020, 11:49 PM
Porkey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cleaning......listen to the barrel manufacturing people...

My advice is read the web sites from various barrel manufacturers....They have the best bore scopes and digital test equipment to measure wear on there match grade barrels....I have also read very interesting info on bore solvents and have seen digital pictures of damaged bores
Old 04-24-2020, 11:59 AM
BadgerJack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
It does seem that any rough brass brush is too much, and that AT MOST I should run a snake... and then a dry patch...
Really, a bristle brush that compresses as it goes through a bore that is made of MUCH harder steel?

How often do you clean that bore snake? If it is not after EVERY use, you are just dragging whatever crap it pulled out of the bore up and down it again and again. Personally, I do NOT allow a bore snake to get anywhere near ANY firearm I own.

People have been successfully cleaning rimfire rifles for well over 100 years with cotton patches, bronze brushes, and a proper BORE SOLVENT [Not any product that has the initials CLP in it!] without damaging their bores.

I have several rimfire 22s' made before 1950, and one made before WWII, that will still shoot inside the X ring at 50 yards all day long, with quality match ammo.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:28 PM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
I bought my son a new Cz 457 Scout, and bought myself a used CZ 452 American 17HMR. We went to the farm today to shoot. I read threads last night until I fell asleep trying to decide if I need to break in his new barrel. And also if I need to clean mine before and after. After all that reading, I did absolutely nothing.

I put a Leupold Freedom Rimfire 3-9x40. Wish I would have went higher than a 9 power.

After I got the scopes sighted in, I shot 5 shot groups of 5 different types of ammo from each, and I'm pretty happy with the results.

I will post my results in a few minutes after i get pics from my phone.

My question is this: I didn't clean his new .22 rifle at all, and it performed really well. The best group was with CCI Small Game, 5 shots @ .349 inch shooting at 50 yards.

I didn't clean the used 17 HMR at all, and shot 5 shots at .661 inch at 50 yards with CCI Max. Should I clean these barrels?

Should I clean every 500-1000 rounds like I've heard others suggest?

Should I treat the new Scout differently than the used 17HMR? Is it because its used vs new, or is it the difference between a 17HMR and a .22?

I clean my centerfires after every firing session, or if I shoot when hunting. I'm reconsidering this. I may never again use a copper wire except for in my muzzleloader.

What do you guys think? Is breaking in a barrel unnecessary, and a plot to sell more barrels? Is it just folklore passed down? Hard to believe I could shoot this well without doing anything.

This is my first step into the rimfire world; I'm teaching my kid to squirrel hunt before he gets to fire on a whitetail...crawl before you walk.

Should I run a cloth through these barrels or not...what do you think?

Clean after each shooting session. This keeps it shooting the same each outing. It also helps to keep the carbon ring at bay, brush after 250 rounds. How you clean is entirely up to you. I use 2-3 wet patches and 2-3 dry patches. Use a bore guide. JMO
Old 08-01-2020, 01:28 PM
Mark1964

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I may be under-informed and a heretic, but here's what I've been doing with my bolt-action .22s I shoot in matches.
A light shooting session, say 100 or 200 rounds: Chamber tool, followed by a pull-through with dry patches. Touch up the receiver, breech face and bolt. Done.
At about 500 or 600 rounds, Chamber tool with a bit of non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner sprayed onto the brush (not the gun), followed by a Ballistol patch or two, 10-minute soak time, pull a nylon brush through two or three times, two or three dry patches. Touch up the rest of the gun, done.
At 1,000 or so rounds or when switching ammo: As above, but with a more thorough brushing of the bore (and here may a bronze phosphor brush for a few passes). Next time back at the range, I'll bust clay chips on the berm for 20 or 30 rounds before I'll go to paper to check groups.
I don't know, perhaps my routine is a tad on the "light" side, but I'm getting good consistency, groups and scores and not having any problems to speak of.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:54 PM
edwea

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerJack View Post
Personally, I do NOT allow a bore snake to get anywhere near ANY firearm I own.
What is the problem with bore snakes?
Old 08-01-2020, 07:19 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwea View Post
What is the problem with bore snakes?
Nothing wrong with a clean one. Most naysayers think we use em over and over w/o cleaning em. I prefer a rod and brush but use a snake most of the time when switching ammo makes with different lubes.