What to look for? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:40 PM
USCGret
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What to look for?

Heard about a 77/22 on the market in my general area. Planning to go see it tomorrow. Besides the usual stuff, is there anything in particular I should look for with this model?
Old 07-31-2020, 07:53 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The first ones are made with slipfit barrels like 1022 and later ones with threaded barrels. Two piece bolts that might have to be shimmed, and triggers that might need lighter springs. They say the first ones were better, they say the later ones were better. I like mine, a slipfit, its not as accurate as a CZ, but it looks better.

Good luck, they are nice rifles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B2F2E0E3-A1E8-40FC-A9CD-E0363D28E80A.jpg (471.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-31-2020, 08:01 PM
USCGret

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tnx Too Many.... This one seems a wee bit expensive as well. More than I paid recently for a CZ452. I think it has the Ruger rings and Nikon glass of some type on it...hope to get a good look at it tomorrow, weather permitting. They are interesting rifles...I like the "classic" look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2020, 09:16 PM
roddy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one of the later ones with the threaded-in barrel. It will shoot with my 452s. I also have a shim kit here that I had to order for my 77/44, but the 77/22 locked up nice and tight right from the start...didn't need it. I did polish the trigger bits and install a lighter spring...very nice trigger after that, and a joy to shoot.

If I had any complaints, it would be with the bolt release. I gots big, fat thumbs, and short fingernails...the bolt release can be a little fiddly.

Overall, probably my favorite .22 bolt gun, and a pretty little thing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200308_114401.jpg (217.6 KB, 166 views)
Old 08-01-2020, 01:09 AM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGret View Post
Heard about a 77/22 on the market in my general area. Planning to go see it tomorrow. Besides the usual stuff, is there anything in particular I should look for with this model?
welcome,

you may want to state your endgame for this toy. So others in the know can give give you some idea on if you maybe disappointed or have buyers remorse.

also, there is a search feature on here where you can look for posts regarding this if you want.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:42 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There were many variants including plastic stocks, laminate and walnut with heavy barrels and different calibers. Which one you find will determine a lot. The boat paddle version is highly sought after for some reason. The newer ones may shoot better but working on them yourself to do a barrel swap is not something for the average guy. Originals were easy to swap out barrels. 22 magnum and 17s may outshoot the 22 LR in general but it all depends on what you feed the 22 LR.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:15 AM
USCGret

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbang View Post
welcome,

you may want to state your endgame for this toy. So others in the know can give give you some idea on if you maybe disappointed or have buyers remorse.

also, there is a search feature on here where you can look for posts regarding this if you want.
Good points Bang Bang. This will be used for general plinking, pride of ownershsip, and casual target shooting. I will continue to use CZs for woods-walking, squirrel season, and more serious target shooting. I did look back several pages of posts for info but didn't try search. Good recommendation. Thank You.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:17 AM
USCGret

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And thank you Roddy and RC for the info.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:02 AM
AveragEd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought mine when I learned about the upcoming discontinuance from my media representative at Ruger - in fact, they had none in their warehouse he could ship me. I ordered one online and although the walnut stock was extremely plain in figure, that was about the only nit I could pick with it.

I did replace the stock with a Boyd's Rimfire Thumbhole and had my local gunsmith go over it. He smoothed the trigger and shimmed the bolt using his own method wherein he slightly shortens the bolt halves and inserts a thicker shim (you still can't see it) instead of the paper-thin ones you can buy online. I mounted a Leupold 4.5-14x AO VX-3 scope in the supplied Ruger rings and it shoots one-hole 50-yard groups with CCI SV ammo when I do my part.

I did some cosmetic touch-ups like polishing the bolt and installing an aftermarket extended magazine release (not shown in those photos). Overall, it is a great rifle and I have a Remington 541T to which I can compare it.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0211.jpg (547.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0212.jpg (544.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by AveragEd; 08-01-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:00 AM
USCGret

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tnx Ed! That's a nice one 'ya have there!
Old 08-01-2020, 11:06 AM
USCGret

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tnx all for the info and thoughts. I went to see it today. Passed on it. The LGS had an original price of $849, now discounted to $700. It was a S/N 700 series; I think it may have been a first year, not sure. Condtion-wise, I didn't think it commanded that price. I *may* have bought at $500 or so. It looks like this rifle walked many miles in the woods. Nice, but not nice enough considering I was probably looking at some effort to get it to where I thought it could/should be. Maybe next time!!!
Old 08-01-2020, 01:08 PM
roddy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for posting back...You'll find a nice one. If you plan to keep it, it's worth waiting.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:33 PM
AveragEd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You know, I'll bet there still are new rifles in dealers' inventories. It could be worth some searching time...

Ed
Old 08-01-2020, 02:24 PM
USCGret

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Always looking!
Old 08-02-2020, 02:18 PM
Hippy

TPC Rating: 
78% (5)
I have owned several:

1st was one of the 1st year as they were available with Open Sites STANDARD it was actually a Sales Rep rifle who parted with it as soon as Ruger introduced the Site less model.

It shot fairly good at that time I had (Still have) a 541's as a measuring stick and it out shot the Ruger BUTT not by much.
Traded it for a K-22 still have it

2nd one I picked up used at a gun show Laminated stock heavy "Grey" bbl did just every thing that could be done and it was still SO-So

3rd Next a Walnut Sporter @ that time Nemo Hunter was doing a lot of mods had him pick the best of 3 bbls I had and it probably as good as U ca expect==I have a least one of each caliber that is avail for them including a couple of Green Mt

4th is a 17HMR that was a closeout for $379. with composite stock it now sits in a Factory Walnut and shoots .9-1 @ 100 yds

IMHO the later threaded rifles are more accurate except for the VERY early models
The MAIN reason I have them is Because they are just SOOOOOOOOOOOO nice as far as the way they operate and handle

Jim

P.S. If U can stand UGLY the Ruger American will B more accurate