ARA Sporter class - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:28 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)

I am pretty sure the 540X was approved in a moment of "I don't care anymore" by Paul. There was so much griping about what was approved and not that he just said hell with it.

That isn't a shot at rflatt as he was just following the process, but it was at a time when there was a lot of discussion going on around what was a target rifle, or not, or this, or that blah, blah, blah.

I think most would agree it could have been handled better, but it is what it is at this point.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:59 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Agree...Paul became the designated point man to take one for the team so the rest didn't have to deal with the issues. Pretty sure the Factory Class wasn't his idea.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:38 AM
marks_a18138
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My question is, what is winning right now....Is their someone dominating with a 540T? Most of what I am seeing is pure CZ domination, but I only know about the guys in Texas.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:59 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
The CZ's are pretty much THE rifle in factory class. Don't know why anyone would even want to shoot anything else.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:32 AM
bsanspree

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We have had 3 perfect targets shot at 2 matches so far. 2 were 457 MTRs and one was a TIKKA T1x. 2 of these were shot off of sandbags front and rear.

I tweaked the trigger on a friend's 540x, when I pulled it out of the stock it was obvious it had more work done to it than is allowed in the factory class. Someone before him spent a lot of time and/or money to make it shoot. I was able to shoot a 2075 unlimited card with that rifle, it wouldn't even be a contest if it was allowed to be used in factory match.

If I was going to pick up a new rifle today to shoot in factory class it would be the 457 varmint precision chassis. The rigidity of the stock would outweigh the minor differences in it not having the "match" chamber of the MTR. I am hoping the new LRP variant will land in the same $999 MSRP as the VPC.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The approved list needs clarification. Current production perhaps? By description a Remington 513T is allowed?
Winchester 69A Match? No mention of Mossberg but there are models that could be used under the description of a factory rifle?
Old 08-04-2020, 07:41 AM
bsanspree

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any .22lr that is currently in production with an MSRP under $1000 is allowed. This includes several that are marketed as target rifles. The approved list is for out of production models. I am fairly certain there will be changes to the rules and possibly the target for next season. Overall factory class has brought new shooters to the sport which is really the goal.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:54 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsanspree View Post
Any .22lr that is currently in production with an MSRP under $1000 is allowed. This includes several that are marketed as target rifles. The approved list is for out of production models. I am fairly certain there will be changes to the rules and possibly the target for next season. Overall factory class has brought new shooters to the sport which is really the goal.
That was my needs clarification question, as it says currently under production yet long out of production models mentioned as not approved. Why mention currently under production yet allow a CZ 452 which is now out of production? By not having an older rifle on the approved list a new shooter may just think why bother trying.

Still confused...
Old 08-04-2020, 10:46 AM
bsanspree

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
W8lon,
Both the Remington 513t and Winchester 69A match would be allowed as the approved rifle list sits today. Assuming it meets the other rules related to modifications. I am pretty sure the Mossbergs would be fine as well, just need to fill out the approval form or worst case can talk with Paul. I have asked him a ton of questions to make sure my matches were all legal. I have had a few different questions about rifles that I have gotten the go - no go from Paul on and most have been good to go. I am not familiar with the Mossberg models if you have some that you think should be added I would be glad to help get them on the approved list.

Browning
All Models
CZ
Marlin
All Models
Henry
All Models
Remington
All Models except Model 37 and Model 40X
Ruger
All Models
Savage
All Models except any that are Savage/Anschutz
Smith & Wesson
All Models
Winchester
All models except Model 52 and Model 75
Old 08-04-2020, 11:17 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was thinking along the lines in Mossberg 43,44, 144 all capable rifles yet no where near the capabilities of a 40x, 52, or model 37. One rule of note though is as equipped from factory for scope mounting. Many of these less expensive rifles had side of receiver drilling for a skinny rimfire scope of the time. Drilling and tapping for Weaver bases disallowed? Many also never had only barrel block mounts for external adjustment scopes. If a shooter drills and taps receiver for modern optics.

I understand the desire to get new shooters involved and the desire to keep it simple with just two classes, yet there are guys that don’t want any current offerings to buy and try.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:11 PM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Making WAY too much out of this. There are two things going on at the same time..current production under $1000, and anything older out of production that is NOT a target rifle. To be sure anyone wanting to shoot an older out of production rifle should contact ARA first. The Rem 513 is for sure a target rifle.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlnbyr View Post
Making WAY too much out of this. There are two things going on at the same time..current production under $1000, and anything older out of production that is NOT a target rifle. To be sure anyone wanting to shoot an older out of production rifle should contact ARA first. The Rem 513 is for sure a target rifle.
I’m not trying to be difficult, John, but ones definition of Target rifle may vary from another’s. Is there a defined parameter of a target rifle? Stock design, forearm max width in this factory rifle list that would negate placing a rifle from factory to unlimited.
For instance this Remington Target ammo was picked up to try a local stock. With an ES of 120fps for ten shot group the rest was loaded into a 10/22 Mags and dumped into the berm. It at $5.79 a box shoots poorer than Thunderbolts. It says Target on it though!
Rifles much the same😏

Does one really have the time to shoot two classes anyways
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6EF9DCA9-DD86-4274-9089-E8E1394E9601_1596566814203.jpg (165.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-04-2020, 02:50 PM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
The problem lies in the "approved list". Everyone knows it is wrong and needs serious revision but ARA seems to be unable to straighten it out. As for what constitutes a "target rifle" I don't see the problem as that hard, post a pic of a 540X, 513T, 44US, 416, and 99% of the RFC will tell you those are target rifles. The real issue is why anyone would want to push the envelope and risk being a cheater.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exactly my thoughts but I would think that a CZ 455/457 Varmint would also be defined as a target rifle as well. If the pockets are deep enough one could buy CZ barrels until one is found that shoots. No serial number to match the action.

Everyone should just have to use factory rifles supplied by ARA. Bring in five factory equipped rifles and BYOB . Shoot a card and hand over rifle to the guy to your right. Five shooters would then have shot five cards with five different rifles.

There settled that😊
Old 08-04-2020, 04:55 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just to make it a little more interesting with ARA supplied factory rifles. Whichever manufacture would like to get in on the supplied rifles feel free to jump in. Build rifles to a price point and to equal specs to the best of your abilities. Factory rifles should have a trigger adjusted to 1-1/2#, a buttstock that is suitable for shooting from both sides with adjustable lop. A forearm suited for rest or bipod use. Supply rifles in lots of five to the ARA.
Whether there are 5,10,15,20 shooters interested in trying the factory match have an awards program based upon Price of rifle divided by five. Winner of that group of five aggregate rifles rotated through the five shooters wins the choice. The other four had fun trying out a new rifle style.
Win win, manufactures are held to a standard of accuracy. Shooters get to try different rifles by various manufactures.

I would go for that!