Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:53 AM
ots03

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most powerfull .22wmr loads at 100yds ?

Hello, I just bought a .22wmr barrel for my cz455. I am absolutely new in this caliber (I chose it because sometimes I want more energy, if I only care about the impact location I would use 22lr match) I would like to know what are the most powerful .22wmr loads at 100yds. .

Thanks

Last edited by ots03; 05-15-2020 at 12:43 PM. Reason: better tittle
Old 05-15-2020, 09:35 AM
MKIIISS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Numbers wise, I don’t know. I can tel you this: with CCI 40 hollow point or Winchester 40 hollow point it kills out of proportion to its size out to 125 yards or so.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:37 AM
Bradical
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well your question is a bit complicated since so much depends on the details. Here is a neat ballistics calculator that you can load the various details into and find out the amount of energy a particular cartridge may have: http://www.shooterscalculator.com/bullet-kinetic-energy.php

A simple rule of thumb is that a 40g .22WMR will have about the same energy at 100 yards that a 40g .22LR will have at the muzzle.

If you're interested in hitting varmints at 100 yards just about any 22WMR will be suitable. You'll want to find the round your CZ455 barrel likes best. My sons CZ455 does best with the Hornady's 30g VMax.

Also, did you buy the CZ "Mini-set" barrel kit? I ask because just yesterday we had the same delivered in 17HMR. The directions state that initial set up may require machine work to be sure chamber tolerences are within spec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2020, 10:14 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Following chart is from https://www.mcarbo.com/22-wmr-ballistics-chart.aspx

Looks like the CCI 40 grain Game Point is the hardest hitting.

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22 WMR Ballistics.JPG (121.2 KB, 49 views)
Old 05-15-2020, 11:52 AM
ots03

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I assumed it was like at 22 lr in which it is clear which ammunition is the most powerful (stinger and aguila supermaximum at 30grains or velocitor and interceptor at 40). I did not find comparative charts of 22wmr brands to find out which are the ones that gives most energy at that distance (it surely depends on the weight, speed and ballistic coefficient). I would like to know which are the most powerful to see which one works best on my CZ455.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:44 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ots03 View Post
I assumed it was like at 22 lr in which it is clear which ammunition is the most powerful (stinger and aguila supermaximum at 30grains or velocitor and interceptor at 40). I did not find comparative charts of 22wmr brands to find out which are the ones that gives most energy at that distance (it surely depends on the weight, speed and ballistic coefficient). I would like to know which are the most powerful to see which one works best on my CZ455.
Ah, that'd be the round that you have the highest probability to put on your intended target from your CZ455. A chart will not give you the answer you're looking for. Because even 100% of the energy from a CCI Gamepoint, listed in the chart above, would still be a ZERO ENERGY IMPACT if you can't deliver the round on target. Therefore, you're just going to have to try several rounds, from several manufactures, to find which one your rifle shoots with the BEST CONSISTENCY.

Welcome to the world of random accuracy from the .22WMR. Where several rounds may tease you with 1" MOA and then deliver several at 6". So, if you can find and match your rifle to a round that will allow you to consistently hit within 2" MOA, run with it.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:48 PM
LtCrunch

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
Ah, that'd be the round that you have the highest probability to put on your intended target from your CZ455. A chart will not give you the answer you're looking for. Because even 100% of the energy from a CCI Gamepoint, listed in the chart above, would still be a ZERO ENERGY IMPACT if you can't deliver the round on target. Therefore, you're just going to have to try several rounds, from several manufactures, to find which one your rifle shoots with the BEST CONSISTENCY.

Welcome to the world of random accuracy from the .22WMR. Where several rounds may tease you with 1" MOA and then deliver several at 6". So, if you can find and match your rifle to a round that will allow you to consistently hit within 2" MOA, run with it.

Theoretical models are a good, but real world data still wins.

Ammo testing time

Frank
Old 05-15-2020, 12:53 PM
ots03

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, if it were just a question of accuracy, I would certainly have chosen the 17hmr, but according to what I had read, the .22wmr in theory has more power, so I would like to know which are the loads that provide more energy at that distance among the variety of weights and designs.I dont thinks all are the same..
Old 05-15-2020, 01:47 PM
LtCrunch

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Bem-vinda OTS! Did you see the chart of different .22 WMR ammunition and retained energy at different distances that I posted above?

I don't know how many of those are available in Brazil but it gives a good idea of possible choices.

Kind regards,

Frank
Old 05-15-2020, 02:46 PM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A22 (35 gr Gamepoint) has the most energy at 100. 189 ft pounds per CCI. Fairly accurate out of my CZ 452, good penetration also. My go to ammo for hunting-pest control. CCI 40 gr HP also consistently good.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:10 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok JMO but the 22 mag is a hunting round. Get several types of 40 to 50 grain ammo and test for accuracy. The ones that shoot ok you keep for hunting and the ones that don't get shot through a handgun. After you find which rounds have acceptable accuracy you can match the round to the game being hunted. I personally had no use for the 30 grain ammo for hunting but tried some for accuracy and the 40 grain tested better.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:24 PM
Davexx1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use WW 40 grain Full Metal Jacket in my scoped CZ 512 and brain shoot hogs out of a tree stand with a solid rest or hill top at 90-100 yards. I use metal jacket bullets because I am usually shooting thru heavy hide and bone. Shoulder shots usually result in a 50-100 yard run before piling up.

Dave