RFC Members Average Age - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
View Poll Results: Please tell us your age group.
Under 21 0 0%
21 to 30 3 2.48%
31 to 40 7 5.79%
41 to 50 6 4.96%
51 to 60 32 26.45%
61 to 70 43 35.54%
Over 71 30 24.79%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2020, 03:13 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Checked results a few times while not logged in.

Signed in to add one to the winners circle.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:46 PM
The War Wagon
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lightbulb

A bazillion years ago (late '70's for me), we learned to shoot .22's at Boy Scout Camp (before Scouting turned FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB-U-LOUS! ). Used to shoot 'em ON-CAMPUS in JROTC back in my day, down in rural NC. SAI & ASI built a .22 range ON-campus, no less. I'm sure they don't do THAT anymore...

Then we turned 18, and started owning bigger bore centerfire rifles - handguns at 21 - and we forgot about rimfire, until later in life. Now I'm an old guy, and I actually use my .22's to train with (dedicated AR .22, Mk.III 22/45), vis-a-vis my AR's and 1911's.

I think we get excited with the big boy guns, and forget about our .22's for a couple of decades. But they wait for us... patiently... to find & enjoy them again.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:59 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I donít think that young folks living in urban areas that donít have good places to shoot, will be active in this sport. Those who have access to a range, or safe place to shoot, may be active, but in their younger years they are still trying to start a career and family. Older folks have more time to participate in forums like RFC.

I do agree that as we mature, many of use prefer centerfire firearms. Then as we get near retirement age, we go back to the rimfire that we enjoyed in our younger years. I bought firearms that I only dreamed about when I was young. I imagine that many others had a similar experience.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:09 AM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (249)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
I donít think that young folks living in urban areas that donít have good places to shoot, will be active in this sport. Those who have access to a range, or safe place to shoot, may be active, but in their younger years they are still trying to start a career and family. Older folks have more time to participate in forums like RFC.

I do agree that as we mature, many of use prefer centerfire firearms. Then as we get near retirement age, we go back to the rimfire that we enjoyed in our younger years. I bought firearms that I only dreamed about when I was young. I imagine that many others had a similar experience.
You nailed it on all fronts!

Doug
Old 07-20-2020, 01:33 PM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This Rabbit Hole of ours can get expensive in a hurry. In addition to having available time to dedicate to the hobby, a lot of us ole fahhts finally have the money, too.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:18 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (249)
Whoa! So far (with a relatively modest level of voting), about 89% of "us RFCers" are over 50 years old. That does NOT bode well!

Doug
Old 07-27-2020, 04:29 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
My aching knees could have told you that!

While I shot my first rimfire at around 22, I didn't actually own one until my late 40's. I had some disposable income and some time (and have made up for some lost time). But I agree, in general. If only geezers do it, then in short order it won't be done no mo'!
Old 07-27-2020, 05:00 PM
Njjr
National Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
there should be another poll asking age and frequency of range time. I am 84 and never miss a week at the range. Most times I go at least twice a week. the younger crowd simply don't have the time nor the inclination to use what time they have for shooting.

Also money is a problem. A good rifle, at least the kind I shoot are very expensive. the younger generations can't afford them. The other side of the coin is that ranges are far and few in-between, especially here in Maryland.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:42 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
Forums are so last century, Face Space is where it is at for the youngsters.
This month. Pandemic's been great for the communication business I suspect.

Geezers unite, Geezer Power!!