Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Looking a 32mm scope

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  45Man 
#1 ·
I'm building a 10/22 with a 22"SS barrel and walnut Sporter stock. I'm looking to compliment the rifle with a scope about 12x top end and 32mm objective. Has to able to focus from 50 ft to 100yds so probably a adjustable objective is in order. Besides the Burris Timberline is there anything out there to consider? If I have to I'd consider a Vortex Diamondback 12 or 18x40mm

#2 ·
Don't know your budget, but for a bit over $200 you can obtain a very nice Clearidge 3-9x32mm Ultra Rimfire with a variety of nice reticles. I have 3 of these scopes - 2 with the fine crosshairs and 1 with the mil-dot reticle - and find them a very good value. Only better scope, in my opinion, would be the "old" Leupold VX-2 3-9x33mm EFR but they are going for $500+, if you can find them.

Cheers,
AQBill

#3 ·
I am not aware of any modern scope that runs up to 12x. So; the question cnanot be answered or recommendations provided.

Leupold makes a 3-9x EFR 32 or 33 with AO. I will be more than $200, but; you get more. Leupold also make a 2-7x rimfire in 32 or 33 without AO. But with a quality 7x, AO is not needed at practical distances and useage. (my opinion) I use the 3-9x EFR on several rilfes and it is great scope and maybe priced along the lines of the Burris. While AO is not needed on the 2-7 it does seem like a nice to have and the 9x is a little closer to 12.

#4 · (Edited)
Absolutely nothing wrong with the Burris Timberline, 4.5-14x32mm. Light, shorter than most, bright and great warranty. They'll fit behind the rear sight on a CZ 452 or 527, if you ever need that length. I have a couple, along with mostly Leupolds and they are very nice for the money.

Good luck,
djc

There's a Leupold 3-9x33 in the trading post that might suit you and it's priced at 350, i think. Not mine...

#8 ·
This is the first time I've seen it anywhere for less than $224 in the past several months, mostly it's been in the $255 - $299 range. As I wrote in the linked thread, I don't know what's up with the pricing that is lower now at several sellers, but it looks like Burris may have taken a price reduction on some of the scopes that have been in their line for several years.

#9 ·
Burris looks good but

Small FOV. Price is real right. The only scope I'be bought recently is Vortex Crossfire 4-12x and am happy with it. Not familiar with names I'm seeing now like Althon and Clearidge. This is not a competition rifle, just informal target and plinking so over $200 isn't called for. I think I'll go to the range this week with rifle and current scopes and sort it out. Thinking I'll have to go down to 9X or up to 40MM. How are the Muller APV 14x scopes?

#10 ·
I examined the Vortex Crossfire and the optics were very poor. If you are ok with that level then almost any full size, modern, AO scope will work. Burris does have a pretty fair reputation (as in good and better than crossfire). at $165 you are under $200 for the Burris in question.

If you are good with 40mm, everybody makes one. And most of these makers keep moving the factory and changing components so my satisfaction with Bushnell one year is worthless next year. You may have even got a better crossfire than the one I handled. Recommendations are fine, but; you kinda never know. Made in China is the most risky. That is gospel. Avoid china. Zero pride or concern for quality in Chinese export products.

#11 ·
The Mueller scopes are pretty good i run the 8-32's, 4.5-14's and the 8.5-25 and have had very good luck with them, yes they are made in China snd I don't like it anymore than the next guy but I am old enough to remember we all said the same thing when we turned it upside down and it said made in Japan. I do a lot of photography and use high end gear but I also have a few cheap lenses that I play with that were made in China and they are pretty good for the money.
The APV's are one of their most popular scopes and I think you would like it and they are priced right for your budget. Good luck and good shooting.

#14 ·
Points Well Taken

Fourbore. I do agree with Chinese products for political and quality issues. Situation with Burris as stated is field of view is very small. Other is in the past I had a Burris 4-12x32 compact on a silhouette rifle. Went to practice and found the crosshairs sideways. Took long enough for Burris to fix it I missed 2 matches (6 weeks). NFG. I am a fan of Leupold and American which Burris Timberline is not. I have 4 Leo's now and cannot afford one nor is it called for in these rifles. I'll go to range with current scopes and will re-evaluate. Timberline is still top contender. Thank You

#16 ·
I have been looking at the 4.5-14X32 and it doesn't look too bad at all. I think it has a place on a 22 for sure and the length is just perfect so as to keep the entire package small and lightweight. I just might have to talk myself into one of them while they are on sale.

#17 ·
At that price I picked up two, I've had outstanding service from Burris for a long time, I've only had to send one back which is two less than the number of Leupolds I've had to return. Both companies made good on them.

#19 ·
Just ordered another Timberline from Natchez. Couldn't pass it up. I have had one for about 4 years now and I love it. When you crank it up to 14 it gets a little touchy but after all it is a 32 mm. I hunt on 5 power anyway. If I need to find an eye I don't really go past about 10. I have killed many squirrels with mine and 14 power on a target from a bench is nice. Best of both worlds.

#21 ·
For those who don't need the super-compact dimensions or the short-distance focus of the 32-mm Timberline, to my eyes the Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 is in a league above the Timberline in terms of clarity, resolution, and just pleasant-to-sight-through. More detail in the thread that I linked above.

#22 ·
The Chinese optical manufacturers have the capability & are getting better.

If the US based company provides detailed specifications & has on-site QA & sales reps, they can produce some fine optics at a great price.

I just got a UTG scope yesterday & it is unbelievably clear & bright, but a range session will have to prove it out. It has all the features of others at 3X the price. It comes with everything: rings, flip-up lens caps. It even has US & EU patents.

http://www.leapers.com/index.php?ac...allids=2107_2108_2109&itemno=SCP3-UGM104AOIEW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.