Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:41 PM
Pdiddy241

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Measuring Sound Levels

I put the Decibel 10 app (reads up to 130 dBs it says) on my iPhone ($3.99 but there's a free version too) to measure dBs and for the average of a three shot group I got the following:

.177 break barrel pellet gun = 96.5
.22 break barrel pellet gun = 108.2
10/22 1,050 fps = 118.5
10/22 1,255 fps = 123.6
Henry .22 1,050 fps = 117.3
Henry .22 1,255 fps = 122.6

Now, measuring dBs can be a little bit little putting a motor on a dyno - results will vary - but it's useful for a comparison.

Has anyone put a dB measuring device (or phone with an app) next to a gun? I'd like to know how much louder a 17 WSM is over a 17 HMR and 22 LR before I buy since we have some neighbors who are sensitive.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:05 PM
Skeeve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdiddy241 View Post

Now, measuring dBs can be a little bit little putting a motor on a dyno - results will vary - but it's useful for a comparison.

Has anyone put a dB measuring device (or phone with an app) next to a gun? I'd like to know how much louder a 17 WSM is over a 17 HMR and 22 LR before I buy since we have some neighbors who are sensitive.
The problem is that the little electret mic in your cell phone isn't the special wide dynamic range, sub-.00001 sec reacting mic required for firearm SPL measurement. An app on your iPhone is probably close to the standalone applause meters they sell on Amazon for <$30, so yeah, the app is cost effective for judging a wet t-shirt contest, but not anywhere near the precision required to get a meaningful comparison of noise output from the free-piston internal combustion engines you're trying to measure... ;-)

Alan Paulson's books on Silencer History & Performance has the test protocol necessary to properly measure firearm reports, including the highly specialized hardware requirements. Of course, that's all pretty dated now [the first volume came out over a decade ago] and I'm surprised that nobody has seen fit to utilize the speed & processing power of the modern laptop to produce a usb mic that can do the job and an appropriate app to drive it.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:14 PM
Eric Mayer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't think any of us regular shooters can afford professional sound reading equipment (unless I win the next Powerball, unfortunately I never buy lotto tickets), but we can use what we can to get results that are at least somewhat educational.

I picked up two sound meters from Amazon and plan to do some extensive testing this weekend, or early next week.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2017, 09:38 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If they aren't particularly accurate with the exactly correct dB numbers, I'm not sure that part is nearly as important as the readings be consistently measured every shot.

If a less expensive meter will give you good consistent measurements from shot to shot throughout you testing, IMO, that would be more beneficial because then you can get a much better comparison.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:00 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to RFC Pdiddy~

To my ear the 17WSM is little louder than the 17HMR, but just a little. That said I wouldn't call either very quiet for neighbors unless compared to cf.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:37 PM
Pdiddy241

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What the app seems to be is consistent... I've done the three shot groups three times and there's not much deviation. And the expected results with the faster/hotter 22 LR loads (I've shot everything from CCI Quiets to Stingers) is there too.

Eric - I'll be interested in what you find over the weekend!
Old 08-02-2017, 09:59 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
I don't think any of us regular shooters can afford professional sound reading equipment (unless I win the next Powerball, unfortunately I never buy lotto tickets), but we can use what we can to get results that are at least somewhat educational.

I picked up two sound meters from Amazon and plan to do some extensive testing this weekend, or early next week.

Eric
I know this could be asking a lot but is there any chance, when you are doing the sound level testing, that you could run these across a chronograph at the same time? It would be interesting to see how the dB levels go up or down as velocities change.

Will you be doing any of this testing while shooting suppressed or will it all be done unsuppressed???

Look forward to reading your results and appreciate the work/testing you do with the RF's and small caliber stuff.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:38 PM
Eric Mayer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All of these will be unsuppressed. I don't have any suppressors at this time.

I will bring my chronograph and will definitely try to get the velocities!

Thanks for the kind words!

Eric
Old 08-13-2017, 06:59 PM
Ranb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdiddy241 View Post
I put the Decibel 10 app (reads up to 130 dBs it says) on my iPhone ($3.99 but there's a free version too) to measure dBs and for the average of a three shot group I got the following:....
All of those levels are at least 20 decibels too low. As said above, Al Paulson recommends a noise meter with no more than a 20 micro-second response time or else the readings will be way too low.

Ranb
Old 08-13-2017, 07:28 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (45)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
All of those levels are at least 20 decibels too low. As said above, Al Paulson recommends a noise meter with no more than a 20 micro-second response time or else the readings will be way too low.

Ranb
And some shooters pooh pooh the importance of using ear protection with .22's.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:59 PM
Pdiddy241

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The app says 200 milliseconds so it wouldn't be fast enough... But it's consistent and by giving higher and lower dB readings for the hotter/slower ammo it's at least doing something right...

http://www.skypaw.com/decibel10.html

I'm more interested in a comparison between a 22, 17 HMR and 17 WSM (and beyond too). And suppressed vs non suppressed.

Has anyone ever measured gun report dBs with a cheap, crappy cell phone app or professional grade equipment?
Old 08-14-2017, 11:23 AM
Eric Mayer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here are my results, though not "scientific". They were taken with a $70 sound meter at 10 yards from the muzzle.

17WSM - Franklin Armory F17-SPR - 3011fps - 110.9

17HMR - CZ Model 452 - 2613fps - 109.9

22 Mag - Browning A-Bolt - 2199fps - 111

22LR - Ruger 10/22 - 1440fps - 108.1
------------------
We took measurements at 10, 50 and 100 yards, but I believe the wind was messing with the numbers. We will try again in the next week.

Eric
Old 08-14-2017, 01:26 PM
3pete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well that unscientific test makes me not doubt my observation that 17wsm is only marginally louder than my Dad's 22 mag (which I haven't shot in years so my perception may be skewed)

Thanks for posting that Eric.

I am happy with the much lower sound level than the .223 since that's mostly why I jumped into a new to me cartridge.

/slightly off topic rant/
Every salesman in every gun shop tries to sell me on a suppressor when they ask me why I want a rifle in 17wsm and They dont want to take no for an answer when i tell them the cost and the wait are just too much right now. They would rather have me walk out the door empty handed and not come back in again out of disgust, than make a modest sale of a cheaper gun and some ammo to go with it and keep me coming back. So i bought my gun from walmart where there is no sales pressure. I don't get gun shop philosophy. Seems like the upsell is king these days.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:42 PM
Pdiddy241

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My six month old boy has a healthy set of lungs and, according to the app on my phone, reach 125 dB. And do so for an extended period of time. He's LOUD!
Old 12-15-2018, 08:38 PM
gunsmokeer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
sound meter

Somebody here at RFC created a thread back in 2012 bemoaning the lack of real scientific data on sound / noise levels from guns of various barrel lengths.
I can't find that thread now, but I saw it earlier today when I was not logged-in and could not reply to it.

As far as I can tell now, in late 2018, there is STILL no such data posted online anywhere, not in text form or on any video, where the ONLY variable being tested is barrel length, but the same ammo is used from the same kind of gun, and a suitable sound meter (good for short duration of sound as low as 20 microseconds?) is placed the exact same distance(s) from the gun's muzzle every time.

I'd love to do this test myself, but I'd have to settle for an app on my smart phone, since I don't have access to a real sound meter that is good or gunshots.