Any other trigger worth buying over a Kidd? - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:15 PM
homersapien
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

The only reason I own a 10/22 is so that I can shoot a Kidd trigger. No joke. They are sublime, and there's nothing that comes close.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:37 AM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ran into my buddy at the gun store today. We got to handle some ar15 triggers as we were looking around. Talked 10-22 triggers and told him cry once but once. Think he is going to buy a Kidd single stage trigger
Old 04-21-2019, 09:04 AM
CaptainGrumpus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No. Get the Kidd Group and then be happy with your decision after you use it for the first time.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:24 PM
PhilF
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
It finally came to clarity

Got to echo several of the preceding posts, I spent a lot of money learning, ya gotta try I guess?
Have culled the herd to 2 10-22's:

A Kidd Supergrade with a 2-stage 8oz-8oz, this is shot solely off a bench. Have considered having it adjusted to 3oz-3oz, but I'm getting pretty consistent groupings @50 yds around .15" using SK Pistol Match, so thinking I'll stay where I am.

A Ruger Mannlicher that has been CPC'd, everything else, bolt, springs, guide is Kidd including a Single-Stage Kidd trigger set at 2lbs. This is my "plinker", used primarily on steel @25 & 50 yds. Also some novelty shooting. Groups CCI sv fairly consistently. 3-.4" @50yds, one ragged hole at 25 from a bench.

All groups are 5-shot, both guns shoot better than I can hold them. I've tried standard Ruger triggers, BX, and Stage2 Brimstone, shot a new Timmny, compared a Kidd trigger kit and a stage1 Brimstone. Some were quite good, but I've also learned the Buy once, Cry once mantra. None were as consistantly satisfying or performing as the Kidd triggers.
Save yourself a lot of time, money, frustration & doubt, just order the Kidd set to what suits your preference and be done with it. BTY, tried the 2-stage with both the curved & straight blades, at least in my Titan stock, the straight has a much better feel. YMMV
Old 05-08-2019, 06:39 PM
Nedsled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know this question could pretty much go into any gun forum in the world but what drives people to choose Kidd 2 stage vs Kidd 1 stage?

I've got a workable BX in there (bobbie pin mod helps a LOT) but still feels a bit like driving an overloaded Ford SUV down a snowy road at times, especially when compared to my AR15 trigger (which is 2 stage).

I am on a budget so the price diff between Kidd single and 2 stage is an issue.

I pretty much use it for target shooting, might eventually hunt a bit.

Pretty sure that I'll have a few instances of CRACK! - "oops, forgot this was single stage!" on my 10/22 after I switch over from my AR15 during a range trip.... but overall, generally for pure tgt shooting, is there some reason to NOT go with the single stage?
Old 05-08-2019, 10:14 PM
Teachu2

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsled View Post
I know this question could pretty much go into any gun forum in the world but what drives people to choose Kidd 2 stage vs Kidd 1 stage?

I've got a workable BX in there (bobbie pin mod helps a LOT) but still feels a bit like driving an overloaded Ford SUV down a snowy road at times, especially when compared to my AR15 trigger (which is 2 stage).

Pretty sure that I'll have a few instances of CRACK! - "oops, forgot this was single stage!" on my 10/22 after I switch over from my AR15 during a range trip.... but overall, generally for pure tgt shooting, is there some reason to NOT go with the single stage?
Pure target shooting is where the 2 stage excels. I have six trigger groups with Kidd components: two plastic Rugers with Trigger Job kits @ 1.75 lbs, a Kidd complete single stage @ 1.5 lbs, and three Kidd two stages - two at 3/3 oz, one at 8/8 oz. The Trigger Jobs are in a pair of ULW general-purpose hunters, with Axiom stocks, 16.5" Kidd ULW barrels, and Nikon 3-9 EFR rimfire scopes. Just over 5 lbs, quick handling and deadly to the squirrel population. The single stage complete is in my parts bin, waiting for my next build, as it was replaced by my second two stage. All three of my heavyweights have Kidd two stages. One is a Ruger with an 18" ER Shaw stainless bull barrel, one is a Ruger 10/22 Target 20" blued, and the third is a Kidd Supergrade 20" Match stainless bull in a Victor Titan stock. For bench work, the Kidd two stage is in a whole different class.

My first Kidd experience was a Trigger Job I bought in The Trading Post here for $85 new in package. I installed it, and my old faithful VQ competition hammer was no longer good enough. That led me to try a single stage complete, which is several small steps up - trigger is slightly better, metal housing, auto bolt release, better magazine release and plunger. Then another Trigger Job. Finally, curiosity won out and I bought a two stage 3/3 oz - followed by the Supergrade and another two stage to complete my three "bench" guns. All of them are much nicer than the BX I have.

The $105 Trigger Job is a great value, unless you want all the goodies that the Single Stage Complete comes with. The $200 Single Stage Complete is a very nice trigger group, and will give you years of satisfaction - unless you try a $290 two stage. For target work or plinking off a bench or table, the extra $90 is soon forgotten. It is that good, in my experience.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:08 PM
The Pigeon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

I went with the single stage over the 2 stage mainly because of safety. You said you may want to hunt, it is my opinion you dont want a super light trigger while walking around in the woods. Bench, target, and range are no big deal, and a lighter trigger is desired; but out in the wild, lighter just means more likely to have an ND. There are so many other variables involved when you go hunting that a super light trigger pull isnt going to make much if any of a difference.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:31 PM
Nedsled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pigeon View Post
I went with the single stage over the 2 stage mainly because of safety. You said you may want to hunt, it is my opinion you dont want a super light trigger while walking around in the woods. Bench, target, and range are no big deal, and a lighter trigger is desired; but out in the wild, lighter just means more likely to have an ND. There are so many other variables involved when you go hunting that a super light trigger pull isnt going to make much if any of a difference.
Yeah but if I went with a Kidd single stage, I believe you can specify a pull weight as light as 1.5#s, so in theory I could have a light (to me at least) single stage.

OK, it occurs to me that if I actually started shooting rabbits or sooty grouse or whatever, I could just pop my BX back in and have something more 2-stagey.

So for purely target shooting, is there any reason to not go with a single stage.

FWIW my rifle is OEM Ruger Rcvr, Kidd BBL, Kidd Bolt, Titan Stock
Old 05-09-2019, 05:56 PM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I may never know if there are any better than the KIDD. I don't need one any better. I do know there are some not as good. I am sure that there are a lot of good ones out there but my search for a trigger is done.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:55 PM
Teachu2

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pigeon View Post
It's very simple to adjust the two stage to 20/20 oz, giving you a 2.5 lb trigger pull for hunting - or anywhere down to 3/3.

It's a completely different feel than a single stage. Long takeup on the first stage until you reach the second stage wall - then a clean break when you come any farther. If I'd experienced the Kidd two stage before I started buying, I'd own five of them and nothing else.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:25 AM
27 Beck

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I may never know if there are any better than the KIDD. I don't need one any better. I do know there are some not as good. I am sure that there are a lot of good ones out there but my search for a trigger is done.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:38 PM
Nedsled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So, I hate to be THAT GUY who whines about not getting an answer he liked.... but by leading this post off that way it means I am going to do exactly that....

Does anyone have any "theoretical" wisdom on which is better for target shooting, single or 2 stage? Or does it really matter?

I get why a 2 stage might not be the best for certain applications, like actual combat or 3 gun type stuff or whatever... but what is the single stage best at?
Old 05-10-2019, 05:45 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You have a pronounced "wall" to lead up to with the 2 stage and its like you know the exact breaking point a little better. The single stage generally won't have the take up slack in it that the two stage does which bodes better for rapid repeated shots. I guess I kind of imagine the two stage for rapid fire kind of like a hammer fired semi-auto pistol that if after it went into a cocked single action mode, the trigger reset back to the point that it begins when firing it double action as opposed to resetting and stopping at an already further back distance.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:33 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
So, I hate to be THAT GUY who whines about not getting an answer he liked.... but by leading this post off that way it means I am going to do exactly that....

Does anyone have any "theoretical" wisdom on which is better for target shooting, single or 2 stage? Or does it really matter?

I get why a 2 stage might not be the best for certain applications, like actual combat or 3 gun type stuff or whatever... but what is the single stage best at?
Nedsled,

I have both the Kidd single stage and the 3oz/3oz two stage. They are both adjustable. The single stage is easy to adjust with one screw. The two stage can be done but most will recommend sending it back to Kidd.

So to hopefully get to your question, I think first and foremost, it depends on what you like. When I first got my single stage Kidd, it was the lightest trigger I have ever had. WHEN I took it target shooting, that thing went bang before I wanted. It seemed like I just touched the trigger and it went bang. The trigger was plenty good for target as I was consistently getting 0.3 to 0.4" groups at 50 yards with an ultralite gun.

The whole two stage curiosity thing got ahold of me about four years later. I just couldn't believe it could get better than my single stage Kidd. BUT, I was just built a benchrest rifle, so I tried the 3oz/3oz trigger.

A lot of the competetive shooters shoot the free recoil or pinch method . The idea is to get the gun on target in the rest, and have very little contact , or very light contact with the rifle. When you want to shoot, you "touch" the trigger or just pinch lightly using your thumb or trigger finger. Bench shooting Yoda's , please correct if I got it wrong, I am still learning.

So if you decide you like to shoot this way, the two stage with the very light weight makes it easier to release the shot with very little external influence from your body to the gun.

Now I'm just getting used to this, and honestly, I might never be a great bench rest shooter. I prefer to feel the gun with a firmer hold. In my case, I can't tell you which is a better trigger. They are just different. I like both and would use either for target shooting.

The thing I do like more about the one stage trigger is the ease of adjustment. The Kidd single can be adjusted from 1.5lbs to 5 lbs. with just a small allen wrench. If you like to do different kind of shooting it is easily adjustable.

Iused to have an AR, and I had a 3.5lb two stage trigger in it with the second stage set at 2 lbs. To me it was no different than having a trigger with some take-up , then you hit the wall and squeeze. I shot a single stage at 3.5 lbs and I can't tell you which one was better. They both had a clean, creep free break with very little travel and clean reset.

If I'm shooting targets from any other position than sitting bench rest, I don't think I'd want a real light two stage.

One other thing I might mention: The Kidd trigger blade has a wide design and is ergonomically excellent. I find the "feel" of the trigger seems lighter than guns that have a lighter pull.

I really think for an all around gun that will do very well on targets or in the woods, the single stage is all that and a bag of chips. I like the two stage off the bench, but I wouldn't use it over my single stage for anything else.

I hope this helps. Again, just my opinion and your actual mileage may vary.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:03 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The only 2 stage triggers I have is are Geissele SSA-E in a couple of AR's. Before that, I had a Black Rain single stage. Both are a total break weight of around 3.5lbs, but the Geissele just had a lot more of a controlled feel. Albeit, its a better trigger anyway, but I did prefer that 2 stage feel for slow precise shooting.