Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:15 AM
brucegodlesky
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
India stones

Anyone have an easy sure-fire method of cleaning /removing the imbedded crap from sharpning stones, mainly India stones?
I've heard everything from soaking in detergent to baking in coal oil.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:35 AM
no4mk1t

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Spray with aerosol brake cleaner. The good stuff, not that non-chlorinated crap.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:52 AM
rimfiresrule2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Maybe Dawn and wire brush of some kind or just a Scotch pad

Old 02-23-2019, 07:53 PM
savage23

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Soak it in kerosene.

Scrub with nylon brush.

Blow dry with air compressor.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have refurbed some old oil soaked/embedded stones.
Pre-wash with a petro-cutting solvent.
Soak in Dawn solution (you know, cuts the 'grease')
Stiff bristle brush and a cleanser powder.
Then I use a solvent for lube for a while, it helps lift the rest of the junk out. After use I re-soak with the solvent and wipe clean right away.
Re-wash/scrub at some point as needed.
Then Ive been using water as a 'lube' and avoid the whole oily mess, the oil seems to pack up the stone. Been using water for a couple of years now and the stones seem to flush clean quick.
Ive used kitchen scouring powder for cleaning my crock-sticks, just might give that a go on the stones too.

Last edited by gcrank1; 05-02-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:00 AM
newboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rub it on the sidewalk.

You will abrade to expose a fresh surface, and flatten it at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-02-2019, 02:48 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (144)
Just plain ole gun oil should clean it up, and if that won't take it out, it probably need resurfaced.

If it will not wipe off with a rag and some gun oil, then it needs resurfaced. They should be cleaned after every use to keep them from building up.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:37 PM
Streak

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I always use mineral oil on my Norton India stone (really cheap at Walmart). This tends to keep the stone from clogging and after each sharpening I just give the stone a good wipe down.

I built a nice walnut box for mine along with a paddle strop.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:18 AM
brucegodlesky

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried the brake cleaner route and it works the best so far!
Old 04-13-2019, 11:26 AM
Big Cholla
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Find a friendly Rock Hound that is cutting and facing his/her rock collection with the rotary grinding/polishing tables. They usually have both course and fine tables. A few minutes on the fine table will restore an Arkansas stone in both its flatness and its purity. A neighbor of mine was such a Rock Hound. His wife was as adept with the grinding/polishing as he. I was gossiping with him one morn and watching her efforts. I asked about my collection of sharpening stones. He told me to go get them. I did and while he and I watched his wife made short work of dressing up every one with the appropriate table grinder/polisher. One course stone that was dedicated for axes and hatchets was quite dipped. She did that one first and it became renewed and perfect in just a few minutes on the course grinder. My Arkansas stones also became like new. I was thrilled. I did a little gunsmithing for him as my 'trade'. .......
Old 04-17-2019, 12:13 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Grabbed an old carborundum dbl side 6" stone that was part of my inheritance from my folks a few years ago. The course side was Ok but the fine side was packed up.
Tried the non-clor 'brake-kleen' because that is all Ive got, wont harm gun finish or plastic (so far), guess that is why it wont cut that stone crud either.
Then I saw the bore cleaning bottles.....hmmm...Shooters Choice or Hoppe's? Spread a good smear of Hoppe's across the crud, let it soak, wet it again and another application then wiped every direction with a waste cloth. Looked better so I did it again, gave the glazed over crud a bi-directional rub with a brass bristle brush, resoaked and went out to work.
At day's end it looked pretty clean, only a couple of spots I should do again, but this was pretty painless; stone is useable as is and by doing my water flush as Ive been doing for some years now (think Water Stone rather than Oil Stone) it should be fine.
Fwiw, I studied up last snow-in about water vs oil and the compared edge finish and it sold me on water. For a hard pocket stone spit is great, better than plain tap water.

Last edited by gcrank1; 05-02-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:12 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
This is a good use for those cheap diamond hones you get from Harbor Freight. They're nice and flat and even when they're old and dirty they can do a nice job of scrubbing off a stone.