how frequently do you kill a limit of squirrels - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:27 PM
Bradical
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergitter65 View Post
Profsrgary, i live in south central pa. Myself, and i can tell you that there is not near the amount of squirrels there used to be. ...

i think the expanding fisher population is really driving the squirrel numbers down, at least around here. The game commission says that the main food source for the fisher is grey squirrels. I was quite skeptical of their ability to chase down and catch a grey squirrel until i witnessed it myself while i was deer hunting. I honestly don't think that I could've shot that fisher with a shotgun that's how quick he was! I never saw anything like it, and probably never will again, it was just amazing to watch. I'm glad they're not maneaters I'd look like i was run thru a cheese grater before i could even get my gun up! Lol there never used to be any fisher in perry co. And if someone would have told me that we had them in perry co. I would have called them a liar! Since then my son and i both have them on our trail cameras.
Well, the latest (2017) trapping report from the PGC says, "Greater expansion of fisher distribution was observed during the past year especially into southeastern counties."

So, not only are the Hawks taking a toll so are the Fishers. However, based on the amount of road kill, I'd say cars in the suburbs are their greatest threat.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:50 AM
hunting909

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here in Missouri the limit is 10. The limit is pretty easy to get if you follow these three steps. 1. Hunt with a shot gun (4 or more times easier to get a squirrel). 2. Hunt during prime times-early morning with no wind (can really hear them and easily detect tree top movement), avoid funky weather days, hunt when the squirrels are actively gathering nuts (mid August into December here in Missouri. The squirrels are much more careless and carefree when the leaves are on the trees though. Evenings are good too, but you can easily find yourself in a good spot then run out of light. 3. Hunt where there are lots of squirrels. Areas that have not been hunted by you or others, and in habitat that the squirrels like-den trees and a good food source. Squirrels are just as thick as can be in our state, and very very very few people hunt them. Our public land is just as productive as private-that many squirrels.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:34 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Limit? Not since the 60s when they clearcut our huge oak groves. Back then was the first time dad or I had ever heard limb chickens squawk and we wondered WTH was sounding like ducks with no water for a mile or more away.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:29 PM
ps118.8

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i hunt woods here on the farm, and often hunt 4-5 mornings per week. i usually kill 2 or 3 then head home. 2 is the most i can eat and i like to hunt them, so there is no need to kill more. if i hunt with a buddy at his place i'll kill as many as he asks me to.