Help identifying and learning about BSA International - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:41 PM
tdidona

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Help identifying and learning about BSA International

Hello all,

I've recently inherited a Martini International Match, which I instantly fell in love with at first sight. I've been doing a lot of searching and reading on this site, and was hoping the experts could help with some questions. On the receiver it only says BSA Martini International, with no specific designation, which from my research would imply an MKI, is that correct? My other question is regarding the scope, which I have not seen on any other rifles, looks like its an R.A. Litschert Spot Shot 12x. Is this something from the factory, or aftermarket? I'm trying to learn more about it. Lastly, the scope mount closest to the receiver is loose, there is play in the scope, and the bottom part will separate no matter how tight I get the screw, and the top adjustment knob only works in one direction. Are there replacements sold anywhere, I know the parts for these seem hard to come by. Pics can be found in the attached link. Sorry for all the questions, just doing my best to learn about this beautiful rifle.

https://goo.gl/photos/zKNz4vhnARhYHrE39
Old 12-15-2016, 08:51 PM
Dickn52
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
The scope is most likely an add on at a later date, and very nice in quality if clear.
Serial number will help us determine the model and year.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:45 AM
mrich
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Parson's Scope Service can repair your scope.
http://www.parsonsscopeservice.com/services.html

Old 12-16-2016, 06:21 AM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
I'm no expert, but you have what looks to be either an early International (MK I), or a MKII. The barrel seems odd to me, but may be correct given the serial number.
As for the scope, Litscherts are fine examples of early target scopes and take a back seat to none of the same era. The problem with your base (if I understood that correctly to be the problem) is that either the hole is stripped (requiring D&T to the next larger size), or you have the wrong screw for the hole.

All in all a nice target rifle set-up and one I'd be tickled to inherit.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:14 AM
Dickn52

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
1950-1954 MKI light pattern with that serial number.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:29 PM
tdidona

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All,

Thanks for the help and input, it's much appreciated. Unfortunately this beauty wasn't maintained very well, is there anything I can do to remove the pitting and slight rust on the barrel, or is that a job best left for a qualified gunsmith? I'd like to restore this to as close to original as possible, even though I plan on shooting it frequently. Also any ideas on restoring the stock? It was in a heavy smoker home, and has what feels like a film built up on it. I've cleaned it up a little but don't want to ruin the finish or value in any way. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:44 AM
Dickn52

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Mine was 'surfaced' pitted, so I gave it up to a very talented guy who bead blasted the pits out and then cerakoted it to a lustrous satin finished black/blue. Looks like new, but without the oiled glossy look.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:44 PM
rapidfire10ring
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdidona View Post
All,

Thanks for the help and input, it's much appreciated. Unfortunately this beauty wasn't maintained very well, is there anything I can do to remove the pitting and slight rust on the barrel, or is that a job best left for a qualified gunsmith? I'd like to restore this to as close to original as possible, even though I plan on shooting it frequently. Also any ideas on restoring the stock? It was in a heavy smoker home, and has what feels like a film built up on it. I've cleaned it up a little but don't want to ruin the finish or value in any way. Thanks again for all the help.
I have dealt with this on numerous occasions. Get an automotive sand block and go get 400, 500. 600. 800, and 1,000 grit automotive sandpaper. Remove the old bluing with Naval Jelly and then start with about 600 grit and clean it off to inspect it. Go to a more coarse grit until most rust is gone, then finer grit. I also use one of those chef style knife sharpeners to take out scratches and other pits.

Either you do the prep work or the gunsmith does it....and he will charge AND there will be a compromise between his time and the work. He cannot do a perfect job and cut corners at the same time. Most gunsmiths spin-polish the barrels and buffer wheel the rest. It can result in rounded corners and a crappy job. Anyway....your choice, clean or refinish.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Donandmax, it would be better to start you own thread of inquiry, helps to keep the responses appropriate and specific to yours.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:39 AM
Dickn52

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
. I would like to know the year of mfg. of my BSA target rifle serial no.24227. Don't quite understand what model it is. because it doesn't say. But would like to know that info. also. Any help on this one Thanks,
Don
You need the two letter prefix to do this.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:21 AM
donandmax
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickn52 View Post
You need the two letter prefix to do this.
No 2 letter prefix just the number.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:28 AM
donandmax
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Donandmax, it would be better to start you own thread of inquiry, helps to keep the responses appropriate and specific to yours.
I would if I could but can't find a place to do that. How do I start a new thread ?
Old 03-23-2019, 09:15 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
You go to

The menu page of the sub-forum you want to post in (ie, this is the Martini sub-forum) and at the top left corner, just above the menu choices 'box' is a smallish 'New Thread' box.
Click ii
Fill out the Topic Line (as I did with the 'You go to' in this response
Fill out your post
At the way bottom is 'submit' and 'preview'. It is recommended to hit preview which lets you see your post (as it will be seen once submitted) so you can edit anything that isnt what you like.
Once Ok, hit submit and you have started a new (your) thread