Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2020 hunting pictures thread.

71K views 447 replies 95 participants last post by  huntsman22 
#1 ·
#279 ·
Looks like a woodrat. My great uncle used to trap them on the ridges above his house in the wintertime. He loved to eat them and considered them a delicacy. I have ate them a few times when I was young and stopped by his house , he lived just a little ways from us. They tasted just like squirrel to me but he insisted they didn't and were much better.

#280 ·
Gorgeous Morning

The light and weather were really special this morning. I have to share some hunting scenes captured on my phone. Hope you enjoy:

From the walk in ...

Early success! I spied him watching us while hiding high in the canopy. Unfortunately for him a taller and bigger tree provided a big back stop for an off-hand 35ish yard attempt at about a 50 degree angle. Again, the Mossberg 640K loaded with .22WMR CCI MAXI-MAGS are very tough on squirrels. Through the heart and up and out through the opposite side forearm. No final dancing for this guy.

Later that morning on our way to other tree stands ...

On our way out of the woods I spotted these two napping ...

Sorry, let me put the phones lens on my binocular ...

#286 ·
Stepped out to head to work this morning and had a tree rat working an oak tree in the back yard...loaded up my lunch box in rear seat of my crew cab and out came the pellet gun from rear seat. Tree rat dispatched...it died quietly and unexpectedly

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

#290 · (Edited)
Woof. Translates to mean - "Hold My Bone."

So, this morning, Eika's helping me tree squirrels and finally, after five or six, I'm able to spy where one has chosen to hide. It's going to be a tough shot just about straight up since he is all the way to the top of the canopy and finding a safe ballistic angle that will also thread through the thick canopy to my target without having to shoot from the nearby stream took some time. I was a bit surprised he chose to hide at the top since there was also a Redtail Hawk watching and circling right above us.

I settle in, lying on my back and pulling a rotting log to use as a pillow/head support. I had to use 9x zoom just to make out his little head among all the leaves and branches. My shot was dead on, down he falls and Eika takes off. I shout "FETCH!" This should be any easy lift for Eika since the squirrel fell right by the tree's base. But, nooo. She takes off across the stream and dashes into the nearby woods? What are you doing? Eika!! FETCH!!! :mad:

Clearly, my fetch training is wanting for some improvement. Meanwhile, I took a picture of my catch without Eika. Yes, I was feeling rather proud of my shot placement and squirrel.

Little did I realize that Eika just wasn't impressed at all with my squirrel. She had raced off to get her own!

What the heck, dog! How can you stay mad at a dog that retrieves like this and one ups you?

Reunited. Good Eika.

#292 ·
So, this morning, Eika's helping me tree squirrels and finally, after five or six, I'm able to spy where one has chosen to hide. It's going to be a tough shot just about straight up since he is all the way to the top of the canopy and finding a safe ballistic angle that will also thread through the thick canopy to my target without having to shoot from the nearby stream took some time. I was a bit surprised he chose to hide at the top since there was also a Redtail Hawk watching and circling right above us.

I settle in, lying on my back and pulling a rotting log to use as a pillow/head support. I had to use 9x zoom just to make out his little head among all the leaves and branches. My shot was dead on, down he falls and Eika takes off. I shout "FETCH!" This should be any easy lift for Eika since the squirrel fell right by the tree's base. But, nooo. She takes off across the stream and dashes into the nearby woods? What are you doing? Eika!! FETCH!!! :mad:

Clearly, my fetch training is wanting for some improvement. Meanwhile, I took a picture of my catch without Eika. Yes, I was feeling rather proud of my shot placement and squirrel.

Little did I realize that Eika just wasn't impressed at all with my squirrel. She had raced off to get her own!

What the heck, dog! How can you stay mad at a dog that retrieves like this and one ups you?

Reunited. Good Eika.

smart dog, and great shot in tough fielding. speak of the rifle setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#298 ·
This has been a good year for me. I started out with a fox that a farmer paid me to kill.

I shot 400 rock chucks for farmers and was paid 800 dollars for those duties.

Then I got a chance at a coyote with my 17 Whore-net.

And last I got a Bull Elk with my muzzleloader.

I have two more elk to help other guys find. Then I will be just bird hunting the rest of the year.

#301 ·
Yes, aging them in fridge. Freezing is not aging. I soak them in water for three days and then age them in a clear marinade that takes on a yellow color after a few days. I then finish them up with a thick molasses based coating while frying. I have never had anyone say they have tasted better squirrel. I have changed the minds of people that don't like squirrel. It will be the best you ever tasted, I know, I know, you have had very good squirrel this is not, just very good squirrel!!

#308 ·

the second one from the left, furthest shot ive taken. doing an over night hunting trip, in a nat' forest. big open woods. not use to that. squirrel up a 50ft tree, ill estimate 60yrd. had the scope maxed at 9power. could not make out its eye. hit under the front shoulder. exit quartering toward the head. dead before it hit the ground. i watched him get hit and fall to the ground, never moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.