Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

First PRS Rimfire Match

3K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  PWNolan 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Yes, I remember you posted about that. I planned to do that but the practice session was cancelled yesterday due to the messy conditions. All the snow we had last week is melting haha. I'm not sure I'll even get the opportunity to check zero before the match. We'll see

I'm a competitive person by nature but I'm in the very early stages of this journey. I've been studying and practicing but I have a lot to learn. Today's going to be a big learning experience for me. I'd like to score well but expectations aren't very high

#3 ·
I posted on the site.

I forgot to do a cut and paste of my post. But to the effect I have shot similar matches and I use a fixed 12x Leupold Mil-Dot scope with the zero set at 100 yards and have experimented to know where to hold on the target, so I do not need to make any scope adjustments. Nothing faster. Good luck.

#5 ·
I forgot to do a cut and paste of my post. But to the effect I have shot similar matches and I use a fixed 12x Leupold Mil-Dot scope with the zero set at 100 yards and have experimented to know where to hold on the target, so I do not need to make any scope adjustments. Nothing faster. Good luck.
Each stage is 10 shots in 90 seconds. So not a lot of time to be making scope adjustments. I've never been very good at using hold-offs. So I'll be learning on the fly. I went through all the stages and figured everything out with Strelok Pro. I'll recheck once I get to the range and see the layout and how the wind is

#9 ·
How was the match?
I just got home. The match was a lot of fun but the wind was crazy. One big takeaway for me was that I really suck at doping it. There were times I was shooting at the far right target on a KYL rack at 100 yds and I'd hit the target to the left of it. Learning how much to hold off for different distances and conditions is going to be a big challenge for me. I'll figure it out eventually but it's going to take me awhile. I came in dead last today. So there's lots of room for improvement lol

#12 ·
What scope are you using? With the "christmas tree reticle" and known distance targets, you should be able to develop a dope chart that will give you hold points. I would guess that holding off with a duplex reticle would be frustrating. If the wind at the match is consistent, you will quickly figure out which spot on the reticle is the correct wind hold. Many stages, you won't have enough time to be dialing in your elevation corrections.

#13 ·
For the time being I'm using a Athlon Helos BTR. Yes it has a Christmas tree reticle. Yes, over time I should be able to figure out how far I need to hold off for different conditions. Not as easy as it might seem (at least not for me) when you haven't shot past 100M before and the wind is blowing hard one second and not too strong the next. Each stage is 10 shots in 90 seconds. The more difficult stages have several changes in distance. I didn't even consider dialing up for each didtance. Just not enough time. So I'm trying to figue and implement hold offs for elavation and windage at the same time. It's a lot to digest for someone new to the sport. It can obviously be done because several (actually all) shooters scored much better than I did. I'm a competitive person. I'll keep working at it until I can give the young guys (and gals) a run for their money. I like a good challenge. So this is right up my alley

#15 ·
When my wife and I practice we use a 8" at 300 and 6" at 250

That's impressive. I know most guys near me cant hit a 8" target with a .223 let alone a .22.

I set up an 6" target @525 yard last year and was hitting it with my 300wm getting ready for an elk hunt.

A local club is going to host a NRL22 shoot this spring, I'm going to try that once.

Tooltime

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.