Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:07 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (32)
Wind flag height in ARA matches

Are there any height restrictions for placing flags in a ARA match?
in particular can they be above the height of the shooting bench?

Thanks,
Lee
Old 08-21-2017, 09:55 PM
doclu60
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Lee,
I briefly scanned the ARA rules on their web site before answering this post. I see no rules at all about wind flags. I can see why a shooter that is at a range with down hill target boards would want his flags set high. I shoot a range with those elevation concerns once a month during the season. I shoot a two flag spread. Wind indicators/flags (3) that rotate like normal flags and 3-4 'wicks' style flags along with them. My indicator flags are set to the height of the target board to the left of the board (right hand shooter). Close to the bench, less elevation. Farther from the bench, more elevation. My wicks are set almost center to the board and bullet path and just low enough that I don't shoot a tail. Same elevation settings as the indicators. Having your flags as close to the bullet path as possible is to me, very important. You can go to the ARA web site and view the entire set of rules.

Hope I answered your question.......later, Scott
Old 08-21-2017, 10:20 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doclu60 View Post
Lee,
I briefly scanned the ARA rules on their web site before answering this post. I see no rules at all about wind flags. I can see why a shooter that is at a range with down hill target boards would want his flags set high. I shoot a range with those elevation concerns once a month during the season. I shoot a two flag spread. Wind indicators/flags (3) that rotate like normal flags and 3-4 'wicks' style flags along with them. My indicator flags are set to the height of the target board to the left of the board (right hand shooter). Close to the bench, less elevation. Farther from the bench, more elevation. My wicks are set almost center to the board and bullet path and just low enough that I don't shoot a tail. Same elevation settings as the indicators. Having your flags as close to the bullet path as possible is to me, very important. You can go to the ARA web site and view the entire set of rules.

Hope I answered your question.......later, Scott
Hi Scott,

I did go over the rules on ARA's site but like you didn't see anything about flags.
so I thought I ask here.
I shoot with a bunch of CF shooters who also shoot RFBR and this has come up about flag height since some of the CFBR rules say can't be higher than the bench top.
some of them at 400yds. with CF do some amazing stuff.

Thanks,
Lee

Old 08-22-2017, 12:32 AM
EAL22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As long as you do not block someone else's target there's no rules about height of wind flags.
I have seen some 4 feet above the target at 50 yards.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:29 AM
Tad_E

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
As far as I am aware of there are no restrictions on flag height in ARA. I believe IR 50/50 used to have a flag height rule similar to what you speak of but I think it has been removed. I am no IR expert but I think I remember reading that.

Tad
Old 08-22-2017, 08:21 AM
bob finger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yes, both IR50 and ARA have no such flag height rule. ARA never did and IR50 changed the rules a year or so ago.

Since the rule change I have not seen anyone stretching fishing line from bench to target to set flag height. That alone is a major improvement. Always remember to be aware of your neighbor when setting flags. Shooting through a tail can do strange things to bullet flight path. bob
Old 08-22-2017, 10:09 AM
cdiver2
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob finger View Post
Yes, both IR50 and ARA have no such flag height rule. ARA never did and IR50 changed the rules a year or so ago.

Since the rule change I have not seen anyone stretching fishing line from bench to target to set flag height. That alone is a major improvement. Always remember to be aware of your neighbor when setting flags. Shooting through a tail can do strange things to bullet flight path. bob
I use a laser from bench to target. The laser is put on to the bottom left of the target from the right hand side of the bench then four flags put out every 30 feet to the height of the laser. This way I can see all the flags nothing covers the target and the flags are as near to the target as I can get them without interference and with the same conditions that are at the target.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:00 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob finger View Post

Bob, that is so very true shooting ones tail does make you think what the, until you pull you flags in then find how that wild shot happened.

Lee
Old 08-22-2017, 08:01 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (32)
Thanks to everyone who replied about flag heights. I now know I am ok with my setup