Activism - What can we do to get more 17M2 produced? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:38 AM
Corpsie
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to Corpsie Send a message via AIM to Corpsie
Activism - What can we do to get more 17M2 produced?

What can we do to get more 17M2 produced?

To whom should we write?
Does anyone on RFC have some push with CCI/Hornady/Aguila?
If so, could a group buy be organized as a motivator so the production company knows the ammo will sell immediately and not collect dust?

What do we do?
Old 02-03-2015, 09:13 AM
Nelson

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsie View Post
What can we do to get more 17M2 produced?

To whom should we write?
Does anyone on RFC have some push with CCI/Hornady/Aguila?
If so, could a group buy be organized as a motivator so the production company knows the ammo will sell immediately and not collect dust?

What do we do?

Be patient, If you look at it as a business like it is, would you want to shut down lines that are producing ammo that is selling as fast as they can make it to switch over to another ammo and make a run then stop and switch back over? I want ammo just as bad as the next guy (and will buy in bulk when it hits the shelves at a decent price). But the down time while shut down will cost them, they are making the best profits they have probably ever made on 22lr. Once everyone gets a stock pile and stops buying 22lr then things will go back to normal. They are in it for profit same way I am in my business nothing personal toward nobody but a business is for profit. Find your rifles while ammo is short and get a good deal, be patient and wait for ammo and be happy in the end. Most either already have other rifles to shoot while waiting and if not would be a good time to try something different out for a while.

Nelson
Old 02-03-2015, 09:19 AM
steve b.

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Read through this article on the SGB.

This rounds when through a similar process and it did make it back in production.

http://www.rrdvegas.com/small-game-bullet-sgb.html

s.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:08 AM
454ho

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Demand. That is the ONLY thing CCI is looking at. The more demand they see, the more apt they are to switch the production lines over for a run of a specific ammo. If your favorite retailer does not have any in stock, ask them to order some. When the retailers/distributers are getting swamped with orders, it will trigger a production run. They want to see orders placed, not some email.

The one good thing that has come from this current 'shortage' is that all the old Eley ammo has finally been bought up. Yup, every bit of Eley HM2 was manufactured in 2004. Just 2-1/2 years ago you could still buy it by the case from several distributers, but that ammo was already almost 10 years old. Eley literally flooded the market and it took 9+ years to finally sell it all. THAT is what CCI is looking at with a very close eye. Now they know they are the only game in town, so now they can finally start to see what the true demand is.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Corpsie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Be patient, If you look at it as a business like it is, would you want to shut down lines that are producing ammo that is selling as fast as they can make it to switch over to another ammo and make a run then stop and switch back over? I want ammo just as bad as the next guy (and will buy in bulk when it hits the shelves at a decent price). But the down time while shut down will cost them, they are making the best profits they have probably ever made on 22lr. Once everyone gets a stock pile and stops buying 22lr then things will go back to normal. They are in it for profit same way I am in my business nothing personal toward nobody but a business is for profit. Find your rifles while ammo is short and get a good deal, be patient and wait for ammo and be happy in the end. Most either already have other rifles to shoot while waiting and if not would be a good time to try something different out for a while.

Nelson
I wasn't trying to limit our activism to only companies that previously produced the ammo. What about finding another company to make it?
Old 02-03-2015, 12:57 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Build your own factory.......
Old 02-03-2015, 03:08 PM
Corpsie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
Build your own factory.......
That'd be pretty sweet.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:04 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's the Hornady response to my recent inquiry as to the status of Mach 2 production. I received this response today.

Tom,

We sincerely apologize for the delay on this product. We don’t have any intentions of discontinuing the 17 Mach2, although it is not currently in production. All of our rimfire ammunition is loaded for us by another company and they can only reserve a limited amount of machine space for us. Therefore, they cannot produce all of our rimfire rounds simultaneously. Unfortunately, the 17 HMR and 22 Mag are in much higher demand, so we are focusing on those calibers right now.

Thank you,

Hornady Sales Team
phone 1-800-338-3220
Old 02-03-2015, 08:38 PM
454ho

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbates66 View Post
Here's the Hornady response -

Unfortunately, the 17 HMR and 22 Mag are in much higher demand, so we are focusing on those calibers right now.
Ahem, like I said... demand. Until there is significant demand for 17HM2, it will not be produced. How to generate demand? Place orders.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:15 AM
Nelson

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsie View Post
I wasn't trying to limit our activism to only companies that previously produced the ammo. What about finding another company to make it?

I doubt we will ever see "Quality" 17 Mach 2 ammo with any other label other than Horandy again and yes I do know CCI makes it for them. If and that is a big if another company out there does make the 17 Mach 2 they will more than likely have to have a contract with Hornady to supply the 17 gr. V Max bullets (I think that was the only bullet I had ever saw in the Mach 2) they just had different color tips for the brand names. We all wish the ammo was available but if we have a company come out with junk ammo it will only hurt this little cartridge. And once the 22 LR market becomes stable the ammo will arrive, But I think so many company's that are taking back orders on this ammo will have the whole first run sold before it has time to hit the shelves. I for one will be purchasing 5 bricks if it is in the $60-$70 / Brick range, I will keep shooting the HMR until the mach 2 ammo comes back at a reasonable price.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:45 AM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
454ho suggests placing orders, which might be a good idea. I always ask my LGS to order it for me, but it may be helpful to lean on big buyers like Cabela's. When I asked Hornady if I could place a bulk order directly, they said no, that I should go through my LGS.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:06 AM
natman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Activism - What can we do to get more 17M2 produced?

Buy more.

If they don't have it in stock, order it. If there's enough demand 17 HM2 production will creep up the priority list.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:54 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of the problems with placing orders is that most big retailers are not taking backorders on Mach 2, but we should try.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:20 PM
Speedo2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just a vague thogut provoked by the OP's question: a couple of years ago, at the beginning of our current "crisis", I had the opportunity to visit the Lapua factory in Germany. While there, we talked a little bit about the shortage of 22 ammo in the U.S. A few months later we started seeing SK Magazine offered over here for the first time in any quantity. My point is that it appears to me that Lapua was pretty responsive to the opportunity. Perhaps another email or two may be in order? -S2
Old 02-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Corpsie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It couldn't hurt to ask.