Winchester Model 90 pump action 22 octagon barrell. Tell me about it! - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:07 PM
carlbren21
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Here's another pic that he sent me...
Old 01-02-2014, 01:25 PM
jban
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking forward to seeing your photos when you get it. I hope that is as nice as it seems.

I'm trying to ignore my impulse to look for one of these and stay on target for some other models that I've been wanting.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:23 AM
carlbren21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Haha. Yes I too am impulsive hence this purchase. Though I will say that I had been looking for the 'right' hand down quality rifle for me to play with and my children to end up fighting over and this won out with my wife's great grandfather having owned one and I got to shoot it. Would have lived to have the family one, but with it being the in-laws, not my place. Before that it was going to be a lever action 9422 or 39. Something in that mold. This one was way to pretty though and had history. Now to continue and wait impatiently for it to arrive...!

Old 01-03-2014, 11:11 PM
carlbren21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My evenings after the girls get put to bed have found me doing more and more looking at these pump actions. I have a question about the 1890/90 though... It is my understanding, after reading another thread about it, that they are the same gun, but were re-named in the later years of the model to make it seem like a 'newer' model, just to keep up with the times. Is this correct? Everything I am seeing when trying to find an exact manufacture date, outside of what I was told by the seller (who told me around 1940 and one of the last years they were made) is to look up the model 1890 and telling me the serial number 809148 is too high of a #. Anyone on here willing to help me out with this? I know the knowledge is here, and you guys have been awesome helping me out through this, and I really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:28 AM
Rustyjack

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 90 production officially was discontinued in 1927 after about serial #736,000.
Any later serials numbers were considered "parts clean up guns" assembled from remaining inventory of receivers. You will find both model 90 and model 06 with serial numbers well into the 800,000 range but the numbers were applied randomly and do not represent the exact number of guns produced. These continued to be sold until about 1941.

You should find a copy of Ned Schwings book, Winchester Slide Action Rifles.
It's a wealth of information about your new old Winchester.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:27 AM
Carla

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbren21 View Post
My evenings after the girls get put to bed have found me doing more and more looking at these pump actions. I have a question about the 1890/90 though... It is my understanding, after reading another thread about it, that they are the same gun, but were re-named in the later years of the model to make it seem like a 'newer' model, just to keep up with the times. Is this correct? Everything I am seeing when trying to find an exact manufacture date, outside of what I was told by the seller (who told me around 1940 and one of the last years they were made) is to look up the model 1890 and telling me the serial number 809148 is too high of a #. Anyone on here willing to help me out with this? I know the knowledge is here, and you guys have been awesome helping me out through this, and I really appreciate it. Thanks.
Per the 'polishing room serialisation record' dates researched by Bert Hartman, your #809148 was built in 1928.

cheers

Carla
Old 01-04-2014, 09:41 AM
carlbren21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow! Awesome guys! Thanks a ton! Wonder why he was thinkin it was in the forties if records showed 27. I assume it has something to do with what rusty said. So another question would be for collector value, are the ones that were built late thirties and early forties with clean up pieces worth any less? I wouldn't i
Shine they would be, but I'm a novice so...
Old 01-04-2014, 09:52 AM
carlbren21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another question about the serialisation record mentioned above. I just did a quick search and it looked like the book was on model 1894s. Is this right, or am I missing a portion of it?
Old 01-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Old Man 58
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Wow! Awesome guys! Thanks a ton! Wonder why he was thinkin it was in the forties if records showed 27. I assume it has something to do with what rusty said. So another question would be for collector value, are the ones that were built late thirties and early forties with clean up pieces worth any less? I wouldn't i
Shine they would be, but I'm a novice so...
To a collector the lower the serial number the closer to the introduction of a particular model the better. Clean up parts rifles are not worth any less just not as much as an early example.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:57 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll echo the recommendation to buy Schwing's book. I have found it to be about as accurate a resource on these guns as I any I have tried. Tons of good information......well worth the purchase price.

In my opinion, the late guns are worth no more than the earlier ones....all other things being equal. A 3rd model is a 3rd model. 1st models do tend to be worth more than 2nd models and 2nd models tend to be worth more than 3rd models...especially with the case hardened receivers.

This one is SN 841293

Old 01-04-2014, 12:48 PM
carlbren21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a sweet gun pump. Hope mine looks that good when I get it.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:14 PM
JWM94
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla View Post
Per the 'polishing room serialisation record' dates researched by Bert Hartman, your #809148 was built in 1928.

cheers

Carla
1928 or 1929, Carla?

V/R
James
Old 01-04-2014, 06:24 PM
JWM94
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The model 1890 is the same gun as the model 90. Schwing in his book notes that this model designation change was made on March 12, 1919.

James
Old 01-04-2014, 08:58 PM
carlbren21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You guys have been exremely helpful in this! I guess my question now is according to serial number records, would a model 90 be in the serial number records as an 1890? I gathered that they were the exact same gun, with different model names, but wasn't sure if they were documented differently, or if the record books counted them all as model 1890s. Thanks again guys. I'll be sure to take some real good pics and post them on here for you guys when I get it in next week.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:16 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As stated above....same model. Just a matter of what is stamped on the barrel. Schwing mentions something like twelve versions of barrel markings or stampings as Winchester changed things up. I know of at least one more version.

I think it was the seventh version where they switched over to stamping "90" instead of "1890". Marlin did the same thing with the Model 1892 lever action....at some point, they shortened the name to Model 92.