69A Receiver Markings - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:29 PM
22AGS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Nice fedora you got there. Meanwhile it's heating up for January in Lakeland. Gonna be a good show and even better for us wildmen.

Looking forward to a get-together with you and Flys.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:38 PM
JWA

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22AGS View Post
Nice fedora you got there. Meanwhile it's heating up for January in Lakeland. Gonna be a good show and even better for us wildmen.

Looking forward to a get-together with you and Flys.
Should be a good time! I also have the Big Reno show on my list this year if you guys want to come out to my end of the world.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:40 PM
EXTREME

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Hi,

WELCOME TO RFC!

From your description and photos, your rifle is post-WWII. The spelled out caliber marking was used for awhile after WWII contrary to what some other websites and books state. Somewhere I have a Winchester internal note that states the S, L, LR marking change was indicated 1/20/49 but the roll dies were available (and could have been used) prior to that. The grooved trigger was added on 5/10/49 so your rifle probably falls into the mid-1949 range and has the earlier barrel which could easily have been left in the bin. It's not often we can date a 69 that accurately but your rifle characteristics fall into that narrow window of manufacturing.

It is very easy to tell the difference between a factory supplied 57EF and one that was applied in place of an 80A. Just remove the sight and look at the receiver flat. If it has 3 holes it originally had an 80A but if it only has 2 holes it was fitted by Winchester for the 57EF (extremely rare).

Judging from the late vintage of the 57EF on the rifle yours was probably originally fitted for the 80A and the 57EF was added much later since it is at least 10 years newer than your rifle.

Thanks for posting the pictures, it is a nice looking rifle.

Regards,
Thanks for the information. With the bolt out I can see the third screw hole and the stock was definatly inletted for the 80-A.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Old Man 58
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME View Post
Thanks for the information. With the bolt out I can see the third screw hole and the stock was definatly inletted for the 80-A.
I have a complete 80A sitting on the kitchen table right now I'll trade you for the 57EF
Old 12-29-2013, 11:49 AM
EXTREME

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man 58 View Post
I have a complete 80A sitting on the kitchen table right now I'll trade you for the 57EF
I might be tempted if you had a complete 97-A hooded ramp front sight to go with it. Could use a spare hood to complete my Model 68 as well.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Macarena Man

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Was 'gifted' Model 69-A ... Have discovered that they have quite a few admirers ...
Smooth trigger ...
Straight bolt handle (not swept back) ...
No provision for a barrel mounted rear sight ...
Left side of the receiver is flat, with 3 screws ...
Five groove barrel ...
No serial number ...
No abbreviations for 'Short' 'Long' 'Long Rifle' ...

Like this website and lots of good info here ....
Thank you
Greg
Old 01-02-2014, 07:16 PM
XLIV

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Recount the grooves. 4 or 6.

Is the caliber long rifle only?

Is the front sight a simple rounded blade?

Does it have sling swivels.

Could be you have a worthless target model which would explain why it was gifted to you. JWA needs junk like that. Give it to him

Ps.. Welcome to the forum. Thick skin is recommended attire.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Old Man 58

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarena Man View Post

Was 'gifted' Model 69-A ... Have discovered that they have quite a few admirers ...
Smooth trigger ...
Straight bolt handle (not swept back) ...
No provision for a barrel mounted rear sight ...
Left side of the receiver is flat, with 3 screws ...
Five groove barrel ...
No serial number ...
No abbreviations for 'Short' 'Long' 'Long Rifle' ...

Like this website and lots of good info here ....
Thank you
Greg
Welcome to the site Greg

There are quite a number of 69/69A admirers here, it's a great place for those of us who love the Winchester walnut and blued steel .22's.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Old Man 58

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
I might be tempted if you had a complete 97-A hooded ramp front sight to go with it. Could use a spare hood to complete my Model 68 as well.
Here you go.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=385050387
Old 01-03-2014, 10:47 AM
EXTREME

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Thanks but the seller does not ship outside of the US. It has been a while since I used Gun Broker so had to update my account. Now have to wait up to 48 hours while customer service decide if they will reactivate my account because I live in Canada. If my account is re-activated I may ask the seller if he will ship to Canada. Even worse than E-Bay! Beginning to wonder if it is worth the effort???
Old 01-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Old Man 58

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Thanks but the seller does not ship outside of the US. It has been a while since I used Gun Broker so had to update my account. Now have to wait up to 48 hours while customer service decide if they will reactivate my account because I live in Canada. If my account is re-activated I may ask the seller if he will ship to Canada. Even worse than E-Bay! Beginning to wonder if it is worth the effort???
Being in Canada I thought you might have problems with getting parts from the U.S. Unfortunately they fall under ITAR regulations.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:02 PM
EXTREME

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Being in Canada I thought you might have problems with getting parts from the U.S. Unfortunately they fall under ITAR regulations.
Unfortunatly most people in the US have no idea what the ITAR rules are about getting importing gun parts to Canada. Receivers, which usually have a serial # and perhaps barrels are not allowed to be exported without a permit. It has been a long time since I looked at the US ITAR regulations so a few more may have been added. Last time I looked Mil Spec Rifle scopes were on the list. Not sure if other scopes have been added but likely not. However public perception of the ITAR rules seem to dictate that all scopes are prohibited under ITAR.

Up untill recently Canada had an agreement with the US stating that individuals were allowed to import non restricted gun parts into Canada to a maximum of $100.00 in value. I understand that this was recently increased to $500.00. Actually Canada really don't care how many gun parts that we bring into country. Canada really don't care how many, non restricted, guns we import either and require no import permits. However the US government requires that we have an import permit before they will export a firearm. All this paper work means that I will have to pay about $250.00 extra to import a $150.00 Vintage rimfire rifle that dosn't even have a serial#???

Canada Post have an agreement with USPS whereby small parcels, shipped from the US, will be taken over by Canada Post at the border. Canada Post handles collection of any import duties and taxes, on our behalf, for a fee of $5.00. In spite of this most US vendors are unwilling to ship to Canada????
Old 01-03-2014, 08:01 PM
bigt7mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Great, thanks guys. I've been a member here longer than most of y'all put together and NOW you tell me about the book. Thanks a LOT!

Fortunately, I happen to have grown somewhat fond of JWA so, out of respect for him, I will post some pics.

A couple of my 69A's.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Old Man 58

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt7mm View Post
Great, thanks guys. I've been a member here longer than most of y'all put together and NOW you tell me about the book. Thanks a LOT!

Fortunately, I happen to have grown somewhat fond of JWA so, out of respect for him, I will post some pics.
A couple of my 69A's.
What, no Match, Target or ST's? j/k
Old 01-03-2014, 08:34 PM
bigt7mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
What, no Match, Target or ST's? j/k
They're in the "other" safe. Gonna take a while to dig 'em out and get pics.