Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:26 PM
JEC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Colt/Walther Gold Cup front sight replacement

The factory front sight on my Colt/Walther Gold Cup isn't quite tall enough, and I like fiber optic sights anyway, so I'm going to replace it. Most of my shooting is at 10-15 yards. The rear adjustable sight is pretty much bottomed out and I'm still hitting just a bit high; if I drop the top edge of the front sight below parallel to the top edge of the rear sight, I'm able to hit at point of aim. Same story more or less with higher velocity bulk stuff and Wolf target ammo, although they do shoot to a slightly different impact point even at that short range. As I measured it, my factory front sight is .125 wide, and as close as I can measure, about .185-.190 tall.

Dawson's webpage lists scads of sizes for a fiber optic front sight. I need to go taller to drop the point of impact. The width of the front sight is fine, but I could probably be okay with a sight a bit narrower if I had to do that to go taller. The tallest they list for a .125 wide sight, is .200 tall; if I go .115 wide, I can get .210 or .230 tall. I'd like to end up hitting at point of aim while at least several clicks away from either extreme on the rear sight.

I'll be calling Dawson Precision with the following questions, but I also thought I'd seek the collective wisdom of the RFC brain trust:

How tall do you think I need to go on the front sight to hit at point of aim while somewhere in the middle of the rear sight adjustment range?

The .125/.200 sight is listed as "ramped serrated"; the .115/.210 and .230 are listed as "Patridge serrated". What's the difference, and whatever that difference, will it really make any difference to me as I'm looking down the slide at my target?

As I mentioned, I'm fine with the amount of daylight around the front sight in my sight picture. Are there any generally applicable considerations about whether narrower or wider is better for that front sight, or is it completely a personal preference thing?

Again, I'll be asking all this of Dawson Precision, and of course I'll reach my own conclusions in the end, but I'd like to have an informed opinion, and where better to get informed than the boundless knowledge and infallible judgment of you all?
Old 06-20-2020, 05:17 PM
smithpa68

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JEC, how did this turn out. Which sight from Dawson did you buy? I bought the .185 since I followed their measurement suggestion, but it is not tall enough. My rear sight is bottomed out and I am still much too hight.

I thinking of the .200 sight next myself, but figured I would see how your project turned out and get your experience before I bought another sight.

Thanks
Scott
Old 06-20-2020, 05:18 PM
johnrr65

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithpa68 View Post
JEC, how did this turn out. Which sight from Dawson did you buy? I bought the .185 since I followed their measurement suggestion, but it is not tall enough. My rear sight is bottomed out and I am still much too hight.

I thinking of the .200 sight next myself, but figured I would see how your project turned out and get your experience before I bought another sight.

Thanks
Scott
+1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2020, 07:51 PM
JEC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Sorry guys, things didn't turn out; the gun was stolen before I could buy a new sight.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:00 PM
smithpa68

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No worries. My .185 Dawson sight shoots 3 inches high at 20 yards.

I just ordered the .230 according to the calculator.. will see how it goes. I will post the results here.

Hope I did it right or another 30 bucks I burned. Hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2020, 11:14 AM
824tsv
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With the .185" tall front sight, what is your point of aim to make it shoot 3" high? The standard sight on these pistols is .185" tall.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:45 AM
smithpa68

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes.. I measured .185 on my pistol 's OEM front sight too. That's why I bought the .185 from Dawson in the first place. But it shoots 3 inches high from my point of aim (center of target) with my rear sight in the middle of adjustment range. I am using the red dot from the fiber of the sight of course. Not the top edge of the sight.

I used the calculator from the Dawson web site and followed their direction. We will see how it goes.