Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:41 AM
asa
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Storing guns

All my rifles and shotguns reside in an unheated spot during the nasty winters of the northeast. I wipe every square inch liberally with CLP before leaving and have yet to have the slightest rust problem when I return months later. Miracle compound as far as I'm concerned.

Per usual AGS has done a nice job with his startup restoration of that 69A's metal. I'll betcha (as FLYSALOT says) that he'll end up with a nice looking piece of weaponry when he's finished. Biggest problem is that short mag; they're hard to reblue but he'll do just fine. -Asa
Old 12-23-2010, 01:53 PM
oldbanjo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe it being cold day and night is helping you. here in SC our winter may be 60 in the day time and 15-20 at night. Metal sweats with that big of a change. Our humidity is extremely high.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Stubee
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice job on the 'restore', looks like a good shooter.

That one was a mess but not too surprised. A friend who was w. me when I shot my first buck decades ago 'stored' his deer rifle on the basement floor so guess what happened to that? And it was his only rifle...

Think I'll go oil a gun.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:16 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RIG is a three letter word and needs to be applied to guns or anything that you don't want to rust.

Ill bet all the 'dust' came from under the bed. That is practically a capital crime...
Old 12-23-2010, 10:34 PM
LDThornton

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by langenc View Post
RIG is a three letter word and needs to be applied to guns or anything that you don't want to rust.

Ill bet all the 'dust' came from under the bed. That is practically a capital crime...
There was so much dust on that rifle....I thought I was looking at the inside of my computer.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:02 PM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
It was worse in person
It looks pretty good now. I am going to take it over to our pal tomorrow for a looksee. Despite the barrel scars, I wouldn't be ashamed to bring it out to the firing line with any of my other guns. That stock alone, as you have said, justifies its existence.

Last edited by 22AGS; 12-24-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:31 AM
desi23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad to see it cleaned up as well as it did. I see a lot of neglected guns come into the gunshop I work for, some worse than this one looked. Many people don't have a clue about taking care of a gun and some inherit guns that have been sitting unattended for years. Many guns have been stuck in closets, attics, even barns and just forgotten about until someone finds them. I have had to cut a soft case off an 03 that had rusted to the muzzle, seen recoil pads that have flattened out till they are wider than the buttstock.
Careful cleaning can bring many of them back to life and some degree of usefullness but it's always sad when it's a rare piece or one that clearly was almost new before it was forgotten. Congrats on getting this one up and running again.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:06 AM
LDThornton

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Does anybody else think that RFC needs a new section about firearm maintenance, proper storage, where not to store firearms, maintenance schedule, what to do after handling & shooting firearms as far as cleaning and preparing for storage, cleaning tools and materials needed, ect. 22AGS has shown what he uses but it could be expanded to show other products. I know the possibilities are endless but if some firearm owners have no idea about the care and maintenance of firearms we are going to keep seeing firearms like the one 22AGS has restored. People that don't know anything about firearms can do just a little bit of something that will make a huge difference in their firearms care. Good idea, bad idea? What does everybody think?
Old 12-25-2010, 11:31 AM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDThornton View Post
Does anybody else think that RFC needs a new section about firearm maintenance, proper storage, where not to store firearms, maintenance schedule, what to do after handling & shooting firearms as far as cleaning and preparing for storage, cleaning tools and materials needed, ect. 22AGS has shown what he uses but it could be expanded to show other products. I know the possibilities are endless but if some firearm owners have no idea about the care and maintenance of firearms we are going to keep seeing firearms like the one 22AGS has restored. People that don't know anything about firearms can do just a little bit of something that will make a huge difference in their firearms care. Good idea, bad idea? What does everybody think?
It's a GREAT idea and a community service LD. You should be the one to be the creator. Only problem is that our board seems to not get much attention from the sticky administrators, and your great idea might end up in the same heap as some of my own good ideas---having to be searched for every time it's needed. But it's worth a try for sure!

Last edited by 22AGS; 12-25-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:36 PM
LDThornton

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22AGS View Post
It's a GREAT idea and a community service LD. You should be the one to be the creator. Only problem is that our board seems to not get much attention from the sticky administrators, and your great idea might end up in the same heap as some of my own good ideas---having to be searched for every time it's needed. But it's worth a try for sure!
WE NEED A VOLUNTEER.... cause I'll just mess it up. Anybody else want to give it a try?
Old 12-25-2010, 06:09 PM
kixonrt66

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Rust Prevention

Eezox is the S***!

This is the best stuff I have ever found for rust prevention. Break free is good also, but I like Eezox the best.

Kix
Old 12-26-2010, 04:10 PM
rafter-7

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For a full line of products, Birchwood Casey is a tough line to beat.... How ya been 22 looks as though you've been dumpster diving again.. He he... If it were mine I would clean the rust off.. stop it and leave it be.... The pits are just too deep

^

I half to regulate my posting for fear of going over 1000 post who will know what will happen?
Old 12-26-2010, 06:04 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
One can of Eezox applied twice a year for the life of that rifle, would have kept it in pristine condition.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:29 PM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafter-7 View Post
For a full line of products, Birchwood Casey is a tough line to beat.... How ya been 22 looks as though you've been dumpster diving again.. He he... If it were mine I would clean the rust off.. stop it and leave it be.... The pits are just too deep

^

I have to regulate my posting for fear of going over 1000 post-- who knows what will happen?
Dumpsters are people too. Don't knock them, they have feelings.

You have been hanging around too much in the coop with your chickens. Remember the words of FDR: "You have nothing to fear but fear itself". I am afraid that that is what you are afraid of--Fear Itself!

Last edited by 22AGS; 12-27-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Lilbucksht

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sheez, I had to apply a fresh coat to everything after seeing that.
Good save.