Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:46 PM
JoeWK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaninga View Post
....don't throw dirt on me yet. Still here, wanting to see first ever pics of a 'Fancy 56'! (However I have seen a 'faux' Fancy 56 in 22 SHORT).
Alan,
I finally got a Drop Box set up and sent via email the html link to JVA who said he'd post the photos for me. If you'd like to post the photos, here is the html link. Of course I'm talking like I know what I'm doing. As I told JVA, let me know if you want photos of specific parts of the rifle. I can probably improve the lighting to get clearer photos.

Let me know if this link works. Again, I'm a novice.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7t7zbwj34...byuo8zm2a?dl=0
Old 06-04-2017, 08:42 PM
Alaninga

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Well ......

I'm happy to see a reported 'fancy 56' in SHORT or the L. Rifle version, but I'm afraid this does not appear to be one. The checkering does not appear to be factory Winchester grade. The search goes on however, and thanks for showing this rifle! We can still keep looking!
Old 06-04-2017, 09:05 PM
22AGS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaninga View Post
....don't throw dirt on me yet. Still here, wanting to see first ever pics of a 'Fancy 56'! (However I have seen a 'faux' Fancy 56 in 22 SHORT).
Glad you're still on this side of that good old gun show in the sky Alan . I just hadn't seen a post from you in a while. Sorry to get you all excited for naught.
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2017, 07:48 AM
JoeWK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Alaninga, Are you suggesting that someone bought a regular 56 and had it checkered later? Or maybe the whole stock is not original? My friend said the rifle was given to his father by his father's brother many years ago. The whole rifle is odd in that it appears (I'd like to hear your opinion) to have two upgraded Lyman sights, plus the scope, plus the odd wooden hump on the butt stock. I guess someone that would go to that much trouble might have someone add checkering, or maybe that person added the checkering and the hump himself.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:00 AM
22AGS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Joe, the work done on the rifle is personalized home doings, not factory. Many many proud rifle owners did these types of alterations to make the rifle fit them better or just to please their eye. Nothing wrong with that, I do it all the time. However, what these non-factory changes do to the value to collectors is another story, and always decreases the desire and monetary worth out in the collector's field of interest. We all have been searching for a genuine factory deluxe 56 for many years and have yet to find one. Yours has terrific sentimental value I'm sure , but is a standard issue 56 that has been worked over lovingly by someone who wanted his rifle to be the best it could be for he and he alone. I personally would consider it to be a family heirloom and treasure.

Last edited by 22AGS; 06-05-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:25 AM
JWA

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
As promised, here are JoeWK's photos of his nice vintage Model 56, circa 1928. I have to agree that the work performed on the rifle was not done by Winchester. This Model 56 appears to be the "Dual Sight" version with the factory installed Lyman 42W and the Lyman folding rear sight but the stock work and scope mounting was done later. In fact, the Weaver scope on the rifle was not made until after the Model 56 was discontinued.

Regardless, it is a great example of a well loved rifle that was setup to suit it's user which was the norm then as it still is today.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Best Regards,

Old 06-05-2017, 02:19 PM
JoeWK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All: I agree with your assessment about sentimental value, HOWEVER, my friend and his son just flat out have no desire to keep this and the other firearms that have been left to them. I told my friend that I'd try to help him sell them.

If any of you have suggestions on the most efficient and reasonable way to sell this owner-modified 56, I'd appreciate it. It just seems inappropriate for me to advise him to take it to a pawn shop.

Thanks so much for your careful and expert evaluation of this rifle!
Old 06-05-2017, 02:33 PM
JWA

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWK View Post
All: I agree with your assessment about sentimental value, HOWEVER, my friend and his son just flat out have no desire to keep this and the other firearms that have been left to them. I told my friend that I'd try to help him sell them.

If any of you have suggestions on the most efficient and reasonable way to sell this owner-modified 56, I'd appreciate it. It just seems inappropriate for me to advise him to take it to a pawn shop.

Thanks so much for your careful and expert evaluation of this rifle!
I agree about the pawnshop, you will only get pennies on the dollar there.

Gunbroker will probably get you the highest return but you will have to post the pictures and write a description and then package and ship it when it sells.

If they are in no particular hurry the easiest route is to take them to a local gunshop and place them on "consignment". The shops usually charge 10-15% consignment fee but it does not require any effort on the part of the seller.

The value of the 56 in your photos is somewhere between $250-$300 maximum since both the barrel and receiver have been D&T'd and the stock has been modified.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,
Old 06-05-2017, 02:57 PM
JoeWK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks again, JWA, and the others. Very helpful in all respects.