Sighting in problems..Long-pics - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:13 PM
barbr-b

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
child's play

To whom it may concern- this forum is generally a valuable source of information which is shared in a friendly professional manner even if opinion differences occur.For some reason this thread is degenerating into a child's p---ing contest. This kind of behaviour is common in grade school, not in ADULT shooting forums.If you wish to continue such behaviour please take it to another forum SOMEWHERE ElSE.I would like to see RFC continue to remain a user friendly,informative source of exchanged ideas.Sorry to rant but enough is enough.Bruce H

Last edited by barbr-b; 02-03-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Squires Bingham
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Getting back on topic........

He was getting acceptable groups at one time. (first pic from this thread)
Something happened after these were shot.

A mistake by Marlin, ie wrong barrel (.22), barrel with no rifling should be ruled out, since at one time the rifle was shootiing properly.

My guess is maybe a bent or damaged cleaning rod scraped the inside of the barrel. We are dealing with some tiny bullets here, so I am thinking our M2s are probably the most delicate of "instruments" we own.

Can't wait to hear what Marlin says.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:34 PM
ballistx
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
keyholing

2C worth.

Poorly drilled and rifled bore. Marginally too large bore resulted in reduced rifling depth. Had enough rifling to marginally spin the bullets initially. Initial wear on rifling in oversize bore resulted in reduced spin.

Now no marks on bullets, virtually no spin and keyholing. The margin between adequate spin and inadequate spin is pretty small.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Barnbldr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistx View Post
2C worth.

Poorly drilled and rifled bore. Marginally too large bore resulted in reduced rifling depth. Had enough rifling to marginally spin the bullets initially. Initial wear on rifling in oversize bore resulted in reduced spin.

Now no marks on bullets, virtually no spin and keyholing. The margin between adequate spin and inadequate spin is pretty small.

I was wondering if that can happen. If it's made with older machinery, if the rifling wasn't really deep enough to "last". Like you and the guy before you said, we're not talking about large margins of error here. Makes some sense to me.

p.s. thanks for getting this back on track. And, Thanks to all of you for your input!
Old 02-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Barnbldr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Uh oh... what did I start?

About crown: ???

My grandmother loaned me her 39a .22 to use for the rest of squirrel season, and I happen to take a look at the crown on it, and it looked alot worse than mine.

(yeah, it's a little dirty)

So, I'm not saying crown isn't important. But it might not be THAT important. The 39 (1952)is very accurate despite the crown. What I'm trying to say is if you're trying to get a little bit MORE accuracy out of a rifle, recrowning might be a thing to do. If you're having problems, such as this, crown, probably isn't to blame. I might be comparing apples to oranges here, let me know.

Let the poop parade begin:
Old 02-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Squires Bingham

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The crown isn't a big factor in say a .22, but other high velocity calibers, the crown is important. I'm not saying a .22 needs one, but I have older Mossbergs with just a rounded muzzle and they shoot as good as anything.

(Give your grandma a big hug next time you see her. I wish my Granny was still around and to have one with a rifle..........Wow! thats great )
Old 02-03-2007, 08:52 PM
lizardtrack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
17 rifling

I'll try to post a pic of a bullet I found laying on the snow as it melted (the snow) the bullet layed there all winter. it shows the rifling from a Marlin 717.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...track/17m2.jpg

ps. we need to see some real emotion here, I mean how do you really feel?

Last edited by lizardtrack; 02-03-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Barnbldr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squires Bingham View Post
(Give your grandma a big hug next time you see her. I wish my Granny was still around and to have one with a rifle..........Wow! thats great )
Yeah, she's pretty cool. She's got a 357mag, and a 410 ga as well. last time she shot the she %%%% near blew out her eardrum because she forgot to take out her hearing aid!!

Lizard, mine didn't have anything resembling that! they were pretty much smooth.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:39 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile I disagree on the crown...

I disagree with your evaluation of the crown on your grandma's 39A. That looks like a nice stock crown. Maybe it could use a little polishing but I would consider it a cleaner more professionally done crown than the crown on your Marlin that you pictured in post #3. The inside of your Marlins crown just outside the small 45 degree bevel looks pretty rough. The lighting that you had for that picture was excellent. It shows the roughness of the machining that is just outside of the bevel that is still in the recessed portion of your crown. Having said that I really don't believe that the crown is the problem because to me it looks like that 45 degree innermost bevel would eliminate most of any problems that would be caused by the roughness of the barrels crown outside of said 45 degree bevel. The lack of rifling marks on the bullets that you posted a picture is what I am looking at most critically. No rifling, no spin. No spin, no accuracy. Thats what I'm thinking, but I will wait for the folks at Marlin to let you know what their evaluation of the barrel. We can sit here and speculate as to what the problem is but Marlin has the rifle, and the equipment to accurately gauge and measure the barrel. I'd really like to hear what they have to say But in the meantime we can do a little speculating while we wait for the good folks at Marlin to contact you with their evaluation of that barrel!!
Oh by the way, you have got to have a really cool grandma, make sure you let her know that the very next time you see her!!! Please let us know as soon as Marlin tells you what they found, we are all anxious to know. And good luck with that 39A!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:15 PM
lizardtrack

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
717 barrel crown

here's a pic of my 717 crown lizardtrack

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...relcrown-1.jpg
Old 02-05-2007, 06:55 AM
rcpilotjae

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just some FYI:

Don't know if this has been brought up yet but rifling is like a finger print. No two are the same. The rifling in many barrels have been matched to bullets used in crime. It's a sure way of proving a certain gun was used in a crime. So it does a bit more than spin the bullet; it proves where the bullet(s) came from.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:20 PM
lizardtrack

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
717 crown

From the looks of it whoever crowned that barrel committed a crime.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:26 PM
orkan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardtrack View Post
Agreed.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:20 AM
Barnbldr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm going to call Marlin today and see what they have to say..
Old 02-06-2007, 08:59 AM
rcpilotjae

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardtrack View Post
ROFL......