technique for shooting a 9422 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:49 PM
scootch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
technique for shooting a 9422

I've got a 9422 that I enjoy shooting but its about the most hit and miss 22 I have for accuracy. Some days off the bench at 50 yards the groups will be 2" or so and somedays better than half that.

I have an idea I haven't had the time to test. Looking the gun over, I noticed the tighter I squeeze the lever closed the further in and more firm the bolt locks up. I believe inconsistent grip pressure is causing my headspace to be all over the place as well as inconsistent primer strikes. Am I own to something here or not?

Do your 9422 bolts vary in lock up based on how firmly you hold the lever closed or does my gun have an issue?

Scootch
Old 01-12-2019, 09:06 AM
azimuth

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hello, scootch
While I wholeheartedly agree that consistency is key to accuracy, I'm not sure that applying more pressure to your lever is changing the position of the bolt, or at least I don't think it should. The top of the 9422 bolt has a lug that locks into a recess in the receiver. Checking a couple of my rifles, the raised nub on the lever makes contact with the bottom of the receiver and will not go any further no matter how much pressure I apply. My rifles have a little play between the lever and receiver, but when I move them up or down, the bolt does'nt appear to be affected at all. You can see the lever on my 22 LR in the attached pic has slightly dropped away from the receiver, but the bolt is fully closed and won't move forward any further when I close the lever all the way.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:32 AM
Ratdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am confused! My 9422 was one of the most accurate rifles I ever owned!

Something is a mis here. The lever should stop dead against the lower tang, if not you need to find out why not!

Old 01-12-2019, 12:22 PM
JWM94
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know the feeling as I had a similar problem with accuracy. I put a nice period Redfield scope on it, but don't recall shooting it since then. I've also thought of using a tang sight. My personal belief is that the Marlin lever actions are by far the best when it comes to accuracy.

James
Old 01-12-2019, 09:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWM94 View Post
I know the feeling as I had a similar problem with accuracy. I put a nice period Redfield scope on it, but don't recall shooting it since then. I've also thought of using a tang sight. My personal belief is that the Marlin lever actions are by far the best when it comes to accuracy.

James
I have a mint '58 Marlin 39A and a late model 9422 Legacy. Both shoot excellent groups, but the Winchester shoots slightly better for me. Both shoot a little over 1" groups at 100 yards, under perfect conditions, with their preferred ammo.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:42 PM
Pete44ru
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
85% (9)

If I've learned nothing over the past 58-odd years I've been shooting, I at least learned how to wring the best accuracy from ANY rifle with two-piece stocks.

The best way I've found is to never let any part of the rifle's metal or stock touch anything but a part of the shooter's body.

That is:

Place the forward hand onto the front benchrest, palms up, grasping the forend very firmly at the same time pulling forend down and the buttstock straight back into the shoulder.

Grasp the wrist of the stock VERY firmly with the trigger hand, likewise pulling the buttstock straight back into the shoulder, but leaving the trigger finger free to interact with the trigger - and at no time allowing the tow of the buttstock to contact the benchtop.

Practice makes perfect...……

Old 01-13-2019, 09:00 AM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is that what they call the “artillary “ hold
Old 01-13-2019, 09:46 AM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I hope the OP figures out his issue. I have several 94/22s and have never had that kind of accuracy issue. Mine donít shoot as good as my BRNOs or 40X but they are great field rifles.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:41 AM
Go4guts

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
One of the 9422's I own had a lever that "drooped" down when the bolt was fully closed. I had it repaired by a gunsmith who said the lever spring needed to be replaced. It now works as it should. When the lever "drooped" the bolt was locked tight. I feared that maybe one day the bolt would slightly unlock enough that an out of battery discharge might occur. I never had a problem with it but I wanted to eliminate any concern since I was giving it to my son.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:02 AM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post
Is that what they call the ďartillary ď hold
No DGF, notice Pete said to "grip firmly" twice. The object of the artillery hold is rest the gun lightly against shoulder and palm so it can recoil freely without shooter restraint. Primarily used for accuracy with springer airguns because of their weird forward recoil.

https://www.pyramydair.com/article/T...d_June_2009/63

Frank
Old 01-13-2019, 12:53 PM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thankyou
Old 01-13-2019, 01:29 PM
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I've never shot a 9422, but I do own an 1940's era 94 carbine model, in .30-30. This rifle would not shoot under 3 inch groups @ 100 yards, until I tried a trick suggested about 94 models.

If you slightly loosed the screw from the forearm (I believe it might be the rear band part), just enough so that the forearm can slightly move, it changes tension on the barrel, and groups improve. My groups went to less than half from previous.

just a thought.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:37 PM
scootch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Guys, thanks for the replies. There was two steps to working out the bugs.

The first thing was retorquing the rings and base which brought me down to about 1 inch groups at 50 yard.

The second was resting the forearm to far out on the sand bag. With my gun when you get close to the metal band it will not shoot consistently.

The gun groups five shots at 50 yards at 5/8 inch with cci mini-mags RN. I haven't tried any other ammo since, been short on time.

Thanks! I feel so much better now.

I haven't addressed the slight amount of bolt play. The play seems to be less with the mini-mags. Maybe I'm crazy. I need to mic the Winchester rims vs cci mini-mag rims to see if there is much difference.