Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:50 PM
Frankr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22 Mag ammo Failure to Fire

New 22Mag Browning T bolt went to the range, Having failure to fire problem

Browning 40 Gr HP- 4 out of 5 wont go off.
Win Super X 40 Gr HP - 4 out of 5 wont go off.
CCI Maxi mag 1 to 2 out of five wont go off
CCI Game point 1 to 2 out of five wont go off
S&B 1 out of ten wont go off
Win Supreme 34 gr 4 out of five wont go off
Federal 50 Gr HP 1 to 2 out of 5 wont go off.

Cases look dented good. when turned most went off. Some hit twice and did not go off some on the third hit turning and firing went off. At first I thought some bad lot of ammo but went to the store last night and bought 3 different lots and same thing so I think it is a rifle problem. Rims look dented good but heaver on outside of the rim and lighter to the center of the case but dented good. I just dont have time to post any pic's now BUT 22 Mag ammo cant be this bad right? I have shot a thousand 22lr shells and lucky If had 3 FTF's. Has to be a Gun problem either hanging up or just most of the energy too far on the outside of the rim. Any Suggestion ? I posted under the Browning but no reply . I kind of have to take this bolt apart and fix it or sent it back to Browning, I would rather fix my self. Out of say 100 rounds fired I was lucky if I got 5 five shot groups that all 5 went off and that was with S&B and CCI , WIN 1 out of 5 would go off.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:34 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Call Browning and request a return for repair.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:12 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Bad head space.. tight chamber... Firing pin not long enough or profiled wrong ... some or all may be the cause.. return for repair!

Old 12-16-2018, 08:50 PM
Frankr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok Thanks for the reply's

Updated under Browning post, It is headed back to Browning.
Range report under the Browning post. I think it shot ok

Last edited by Frankr; 12-20-2018 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:56 AM
PeteDavis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 2005 Marlin was the same. I stripped the bolt, polished the burrs off of everything, lightly oiled and it goes off now.

I think the headspace and firing pin protrusion on 22WMR rifles are held to an absolute minimum nowadays. Lawyer proof?

Maybe someone here can detail what happens when the rim of a 22 WMR cartridge gets pierced.

PD
Old 12-27-2018, 08:10 AM
Ratdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDavis View Post
My 2005 Marlin was the same. I stripped the bolt, polished the burrs off of everything, lightly oiled and it goes off now.

I think the headspace and firing pin protrusion on 22WMR rifles are held to an absolute minimum nowadays. Lawyer proof?

Maybe someone here can detail what happens when the rim of a 22 WMR cartridge gets pierced.

PD
What this gent says +1.

It's not a new thing.
I have had to increase pin travel on several rimfire over the years. It often only needs a few thou more travel.
My current Brno misfired. I increased the pin travel by .004" and it has never misfired again, in years.
Shame you sent it back, they may do nothing!
If it still plays up. Increase pin travel a minute amount.

R.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:43 PM
Frankr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why what happens when you pierce a rim head ? Never seen or heard of it.

Yea Browning has the rifle now so we will see if they fix it or not. If they dont I will take it back where I bought it. I am sure they will give me a full refund on it tward a new 457. I was thinking the T Bolt was a nice good little rilfe. POS firing pin set up. well ya live and you learn. Browning has had it for 4 days and they have not logged it in yet. The guy told me they have guns coming out of their ears back there so that tells you something. Browning used to make quality Firearms even the Japan made Browning were great quality. I guess not anymore.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:19 AM
Ratdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankr View Post
Why what happens when you pierce a rim head ? Never seen or heard of it.

Yea Browning has the rifle now so we will see if they fix it or not. If they dont I will take it back where I bought it. I am sure they will give me a full refund on it tward a new 457. I was thinking the T Bolt was a nice good little rilfe. POS firing pin set up. well ya live and you learn. Browning has had it for 4 days and they have not logged it in yet. The guy told me they have guns coming out of their ears back there so that tells you something. Browning used to make quality Firearms even the Japan made Browning were great quality. I guess not anymore.
Same old same old, it takes a generation to build a good name, a generation to cream it off via the good name and the third generation to totally screw it up!

I went off Browning when they came out with the A bolt!
Old 12-29-2018, 05:13 AM
Frankr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now Now I have had several very good shooting A Bolts. A bolt medallion in .270 that was the most accurate factory rifle I ever owned and one Gold medallion in .270 that shot well. I have several friends who have A bolts that shoot well. But they were all from the 1990's I have a Citori Upland special 20 ga from 1996 that is mint I only hunt a day or two a year with. I had quite a few other shotguns I used most of the time but it is the only shotgun I still have. got rid off all them expensive shotguns but the little upland special will never part with. I feel the X Bolt they completely the wrong way as it seems to me most manufactures have.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:38 AM
BWstickman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Keep us updated