Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:11 PM
41B
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lighter rifle

I have a heavy weight 10/22. Boyd "Tacticool" stock and a heavy barrel and scope. Way to heavy for a walk-around rifle, accurate, but too heavy for me.

I'm considering a Kidd lightweight barrel. I'd like a lighter stock. I'll scope with with a Leo 1.5-5x20.

I want the entire rig to be at or under 8 pounds.

Any suggestions?

There is a new silhouette game coming and I'd like to participate.

M
Old 07-17-2018, 03:38 PM
PhilF
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Lightweight

Not really "up" on lightweight stocks, especially for .920 barrels. The Kidd LW barrels are very good. You could open up the channel on a sporter or carbine stock, don't know if the socket/sandpaper route would work on a factory synthetic stock. As far as the scope, I believe all of the Leupold 1.5-4X scopes have parallax set in the 100-125 yard range which will have an effect on accuracy, they can go through the Leupold Custom Shop and have parallax set to 50 or 60 yards, but that's somewhat spendy, Leupold makes a VX Freedom 2-7 for rimfire w/parallax set for, I believe, 50 yards, there are other brands out there in the 2-7X class that have adjustable objectives, so compare weights. Another option is using a factory barrel and sending barrel/ bolt/receiver to CPC, Randy will make it accurate and reliable, he also does an excellent trigger as well. Redfield Rifleman base & rings are light & quite sturdy, Just some random thoughts on lightweight & accurate, Randy's total rework costs about what a Kidd barrel does, and for your intended use, may be all you need.

Phil
Old 07-18-2018, 05:22 AM
GREEN607
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
96% (117)
Hogue Nylon...

If I were building a lite 10/22 for silhouette, this is the stock I would use for a .920 barrel. It is NOT the OM (over-molded) rubber-coated stock. This one is stiff glass re-enforced nylon and won't 'twist' like the OM version.

Similar to the factory nylon stock but with the wider barrel channel. They are very nice, light and handle well.

https://www.hogueinc.com/10-22-hard-...barrel-channel

Old 07-18-2018, 08:05 AM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Promag Archangel Precision stock is rigid, tight and light. I have the Kidd Ultralite barrel and a Kidd trigger kit.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:36 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do you not like shooting that gun from the bench? Maybe build up another gun in a light sporter configuration or buy a CZ American series bolt gun and live happy. Most of the time hunting you have time to reload and I like the feel of a bolt action in the field. The CZ American will rival most modified 10/22s out of the box.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:53 AM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
Do you not like shooting that gun from the bench? Maybe build up another gun in a light sporter configuration or buy a CZ American series bolt gun and live happy. Most of the time hunting you have time to reload and I like the feel of a bolt action in the field. The CZ American will rival most modified 10/22s out of the box.
Not really my bench gun, but it does well from the bench. I have several CZ's but only one in 22. It's the 452 Trainer. Great gun, but just a lot more fun to build the 10/22 rifles the way I want, when the notion hits me. This one was a stretch for me (more traditional usually), but the more I look at it and shoot it the more I like it.

Here is my newest bench gun:
Old 07-18-2018, 11:21 AM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To me 8 lbs is not a light rifle. With an aluminum or carbon barrel and the scope you mentioned you should easily get under 6 lbs. The Archangel Precision stock AAP1022 weighs 2.5 lbs. A Hogue will weigh 1 lb 15 oz. A Hogue Tactical will weigh 2 lbs 6 oz. Many more stocks out there.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:51 AM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Best solution is NOT a heavy mechanical adjustable doohickie stock.

Hogue O.M. stocks are O.K. = a tad homely and do warp with heat/cold..but really tuff.
The T-Hole version is a looker .. not tried one yet... https://www.hogueinc.com/stocks/ruge...ifle/920barrel
https://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews...l-channel.html

The are several stocks that fit the bill but my fav. is the Boyds Evolution or the Cuda.. a KIDD Lt. or Ultra-Lt barrel will be more accurate than you and the way you have it planned out should end up 6 to 6.5lbs..ish... get the 16.5" barrel They swing quik and EZ and are a pleasure to pack on a hunt or hike... however not equipped with studs for a sling.. I never use a sling on a Lite pack/hunt rifle... (do some push-ups.)

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator/

Last edited by Chaser; 07-20-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:50 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Boyd's Barracuda would be a good choice and I believe it weighs approximately 1.75 lbs. If you dont mind fugly the Knoxx Axiom weighs 18 oz and has an adjustable LOP.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:16 PM
mpolk

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
It's been my experience that I shoot better with a well balanced 7 or 8 pound rifle than I do with a lighter one. Balance is more important to me than weight. My red one above, like it sits weighs in at 7lbs 2ozs, but it swings and balances very good. JMHO and it works for me.

Last edited by mpolk; 07-18-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:20 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Shouldnt be hard or expensive to do, my slightly modded carbine with a syn. stock/cut off square to put a Limbsaver pad on to get lop good for me, a 6-9 bipod and a trim scope only goes 7ish #s.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:48 PM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ruger says a stock Compact weighs 4.5lbs, how much lighter than that would you want?
Old 07-19-2018, 08:56 AM
41B
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will be shooting CMP Rimfire Sporter competition - three positions, 8 pound max weight, three pound trigger, 6 power or less scope. Thumbhole and adjustable stocks not allowed. Slow fire and rapid fire sequences.

The basic 10/22 works OK, but if you want to win you need modifications.

Shooting off a bench is boring (nothing against it - just not my thing). If have a 452 that I can shoot off a bench if I decide to go that route

I think I can take a little from each of the suggestions to make my choices.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 07-19-2018, 09:02 AM
mpolk

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN607 View Post
If I were building a lite 10/22 for silhouette, this is the stock I would use for a .920 barrel. It is NOT the OM (over-molded) rubber-coated stock. This one is stiff glass re-enforced nylon and won't 'twist' like the OM version.

Similar to the factory nylon stock but with the wider barrel channel. They are very nice, light and handle well.

https://www.hogueinc.com/10-22-hard-...barrel-channel
I have this stock on my carry around squirrel gun with the TacSol SBX barrel with my suppressor and the same one in takedown version for my Takedown with the SBX barrel also. Won't flex as stated above. Very durable.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:42 PM
Outrider
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Your question inspired me to go dig out my Kidd Lightweight barreled 1022 and weigh it. Just to give you an idea of what you can achieve, some time back, I put together the following 1022 with no effort to keep weight down:

OEM receiver and bolt
Kidd single stage trigger
Kidd fluted light weight (NOT ultra lightweight) barrel
Titan Precision 1022 stock with picatinney rail under forearm
Swiift 6-18 scope with 3.5 inch sunshade

The Swift scope was chosen because the parallax adjustment goes down to 10 yards

Total weight is exactly 8 pounds. Adding my quick-removable bipod to the forearm mount adds 10 ounces.

The rifle, as pictured here, https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=558406 would weigh less, as the scope in that photo is 2-7 air rifle scope that weighs a bunch less than the Swift on it now, but was the inspiration for looking at air rifle capable scopes to get parallax adjustment down at ranges under 50 yard - in the case of the big Swift, well under 50 yards, as mentioned above. So eight pounds is easily achieved without a lot of attention to weight savings other than the Kidd Lightweight fluted barrel; with more attention to the scope and stock, following some of the leads in above posts, you can get under 8 pounds and even way under 8 pounds. Good luck.

Last edited by Outrider; 07-20-2018 at 01:46 PM.