Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:44 PM
Dodgeboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mystery Hole in Big Boy Scope Mount

I recently purchased a beautiful Golden Boy in .22 WMR (Not Big Boy as the title says). The rifle is much better than my eyes are so I'm going to scope it. Consequently, I ordered the Henry GB-CSM cantilever scope mount. I saw online that it has a threaded hole on the end of the mount toward the hammer. I figured when I got the mount, the instructions would tell me what this mysterious threaded hole was for.

I got the mount today and there is no mention in the instructions of the mystery hole. Any ideas? I thought maybe a screw could go through it to steady the cantilever against the receiver, but that would mar the polished finish.

This should get you to a picture of it: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/11...g?v=1467218297
The hole is on the left.

Last edited by Dodgeboy; 12-10-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:26 AM
Pete44ru
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
86% (9)

It's not a cantilever scope mount base.

It's a base made to fit the factory scope mount prep holes atop the receiver and under the rear barrel open/iron sight (which will need to be tapped out/removed to install the base).

Old 12-10-2018, 06:55 PM
Dodgeboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, the GB-CSM mount is a cantilever. It's designed for the Golden Boy and mounts where the barrel has two tapped holes from the factory. I just wonder what the extra tapped hole in the top of the mount is for.

Last edited by Dodgeboy; 12-10-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2018, 10:05 AM
Dodgeboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Found an answer to my question - sort of. I had contacted Henry Support about scope recommendations for that mount. I figured there were limitations because of the ring spacing. They said they had no recommendations. Then I asked about the mystery tapped hole. The reply from Omar:

"It is an Obsolete hole, there is no use for it. They just have yet to change the design. Hope this helps."

So the hole has no current function. Whatever purpose it ever did have, who knows?

They have changed the design through the years. I have seen pictures of this mount when it was two pieces; the long cantilever part was once held to its mounting base by two screws. Now it's all one cast part.

I'm lucky in that my Golden Boy is fairly new and already has the tapped holes in the barrel under the rear sight.

While in contact with Henry Support, I gave them the gun's serial number and asked if they could tell me when it was made. I bought the gun used but it looked new and un-fired. They told me the born date was 4/2016.

Last edited by Dodgeboy; 12-11-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:00 PM
Kenbo1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mystery Hole in Big Boy Scope Mount

That hole was for a set screw to level and support the mount. There were too many complaints that the screw damaged the finish, so the screw was eliminated. Engineering has not changed or corrected the drawing.

Kenbo
Old 12-12-2018, 11:20 PM
Dodgeboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, Kenbo! Finally, a reasonable explanation.