Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:58 AM
TheCZKid
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CZ 17 Hornet - On the way!

I'm excited to say, I've got a CZ 527 in 17 Hornet on the way. I'm looking for help from experienced owners who have shot this same model, and some reloading helpful hints.

Of course, I'm hoping mine with (1) shoot really great right out of the box and (2) have a better than expected looking stock! That's all I want might as well say it.

But I've read that one possible issue might be feeding, from the magazines, or that the extractor might have issues with seating these rimmed rounds, any input? I purchased 3 of the "new version" magazines from GunMag Warehouse, not sure what the "New" part is about. Help?

And next, reloading. I purchased the Hornady custom die set and micrometer top, and currently I have no brass. Seems the only new empty brass available to purchase is Hornady, but I've also heard some folks don't like it. I have an order of Federal American Eagle ammo coming, so I figure I can use that to reload...

I do have some powders: Accurate 1680, CFE BLK, IMR 4227 and Accurate 2200. Suggestions? I hear BLK 12.5 or 1680 12.2 are both normally good.

Got some Hornady 20 grain V-Max and some Midway 20 Dogtown bullets to test.

With this Covid issue I can't find any primers to buy, so limited to what I have on-hand, which is CCI 400, and Rem 7 1/2 primers.

If you have suggestions on what factory ammo shoots best for you in a CZ 17 Hornet I'd like to know. And, which brass has proven best to use in reloading??? I don't mind buying a few hundred rounds of factory ammo, if it shoots well in the gun and the brass is good.

Your help appreciated!
Old 09-16-2020, 06:25 AM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Well congrats there CZkid sir...to start with when shooting the first couple hundred rounds in your new rifle if you have any feeding issues I would suggest you use your thumb on the back of the bolt to push the round into the chamber rather than the bolt handle. My 527 American in 222 was like that and after about 50 rounds is was so much better...my 527 American in 22 Hornet was smooth as glass right out of the box. My 17 Hornet is still a work in process...I have not shot it enough.

Did you get a Varmint or American model ?

Good luck on your quest.

Signalman
Old 09-16-2020, 06:37 AM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did you get the Varmint or American? It sounds like you're pretty well covered component wise for reloading. Watch reloading factory loaded brass. Many of mine swelled just ahead of the rim and the dies never did remove that ridge. One did split so as a precaution I only reload new Hornady brass or my new favorite Privi resized 22H brass.
Some feeding problems are caused by a tight extractor claw preventing the rim from sliding up into place when loading. It's a trial and error process to polish it down.
Check to see if your recoil lug was bedded. My older 222 was but the new 17HH wasn't. Adding a tiny amount of JB Weld helped mine quite a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2020, 11:50 AM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congrats on your new purchase! I have two CZ 527 Varmint model 17HH and they're a real fun little gun.

A few things.

1) The comb height on the CZ 527's stock is straight and fairly low-ish so be mindful of this when selecting as well as mounting the scope. I wouldn't go over about a 42mm objective on the scope you pick. The Warne medium rings are about as low as you can get, I have them on one of my CZ 527 17HH. They're specific to the CZ 527 and come in 1in or 30mm. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1592111233 Leupold makes a scope ring specific to the CZ 527 that works well too, I have them on my other CZ 527 17HH, but I believe they've discontinued them so unless you find some new old stock sitting on the shelf somewhere you may not find the Leupold rings.

2) As Signalman already mentioned the CZ 527, specifically in 17HH, can be a little quirky and even downright frustrating at times with how they feed but as he mentioned pushing the bolt forward with your thumb behind the bolt instead of cycling the bolt using the bolt handle generally cures the problem. Also, lifting up on the bolt handle as you push it forward has worked for me as well. Sometimes that big claw extractor can be a bit tight and not want to snap over the rim. If this is a problem in yours James Calhoon specializes in CZ 527's and you can mail him your bolt for a quick fix and he doesn't charge all that much. Like I said, James specializes in CZ 527's and is a real character to chat with so it's always worth the time to call him. http://www.jamescalhoon.com/

3) The Hornady and American Eagle factory ammo is one and the same, both are loaded by Hornady. The only difference is the label on the box and the headstamp on the brass. I've talked to Federal a few different times and this was per Federal, not something I just made up. Although, I've had a couple different people tell me the American Eagle ammo always shoots better than does the Hornady so only you will know which your gun prefers. Having shot a fair amount of the Hornady factory ammo I can tell you some lot #'s definitely shot better in my gun than others.

4) With regard to reloading, there are a few things to be mindful of. The 17HH brass has a pretty big variance in neck thickness so I keep my brass segregated and in specific groups by their neck thickness and use a Redding bushing neck size only die with a couple different size bushings so my necktension is always the same.

The "bulge" ahead of the rim that some refer to is actually not a bulge at all in fact it's just the opposite and is a section that has thinned because the shoulder moved so far forward it stretches and thins the brass just ahead of the rim. The chambers in these 17HH's are generally a bit on the generous side and the factory ammo is a little on the hot side so when you add the two together you get excess case stretch which is why I neck size only with my 17HH. Using a FL die, particularly a non bushing FL die, not only will give you inconsistent neck tension but you'll want to be careful not to push/bump the shoulder back or it'll result in premature case separation.

Both AA1680 and CFE BLK are great powders for the 17HH and the 20gr Vmax. I generally use Federal M or CCI BR primers but in my 17HH I use Rem 7 1/2 primers because I have so many of them and they seem to work well.

5) The trigger in the CZ 527 is an easy one to work on and can be set to about whatever you want. I'm not a big fan of using the set trigger so I swap out the spring that control trigger pull with a smaller one I bought from James Calhoon and set them at about 10 ounces. If you adjust the trigger yourself just make sure you have plenty of sear engagement. Often people set the sear engagement to light and the trigger will either not reliably reset or worse yet it'll bump or slam fire on its own.

6) This is personal preference, but I always have all of my rifles full action bed. The CZ's come with a little dab of bedding compound around the recoil lug but that is certainly no replacement for a full action bedding job so I always have my GS bed the full action just for piece of mind.

7) If you decide to ever take your CZ 527 out of the stock be extra vigilant when putting it back together especially with regard to the bottom metal/trigger guard piece. There is a groove on the bottom side of the action the mag well part of the bottom metal has to fit into and it's easily missed and if the mag well doesn't fit in that groove area of the underside of the action it'll cause you problems so be mindful of that if you ever take it apart.

These things, like most guns, have their little quirks but overall they're a really fun gun to shoot and generally shoot pretty well right out of the box.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:52 AM
TheCZKid
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Appreciate your input. I got the Varmint model. I have been going sage rat shooting with a friend for a few years, and we typically shoot from tables in the back of his pickup bed. Up to now I've used a Savage 17 B-mag in WSM, which is actually my most accurate shooting rifle I own up to now! That sucker is a laser beam.

I did get a 455 which is a Varmint model too a few years ago (thus my CZ Kid moniker), which I ended up pillar bedding and did the DIP sear upgrade. Then updated it with the CZ 17 HMR fluted barrel, as the 22 was nice, but not effective to shoot sage rats with, too short on range. That's my 455 below, trying out my friends rest. I normally use sandbag style rests for shooting the rats.

But my sage rat hunting buddy has a Savage 17 Hornet, and was getting the longest shots that were just outside my 17 WSM range, and now I figure it's time to equal the playing field. If my CZ does not shoot as good as his Savage I'm sure my friend will heckle me about it endlessly, so I hope the new gun is a tack-driver.

Curious if you can tell me what the difference is between the older version of magazines and the "newer" style? I've not seen or used either.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:34 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My HB SS Bmag has had a fair amount of work done to it and is my favorite sage rat gun. Mostly, because as you know, a person can burn through 300-500 rounds in a day shooting sage rats and using the potent 17 WSM rimfire instead of a centerfire saves tons of time in the reloading room.

BUT, if you, the gun, and the ammo are up to it the 17 Hornet will definitely extend your range by quite a bit and still have a good amount of splat factor at those extended ranges. I've shot sage rats out to 350yds with my 17 WSM and there isn't much splat factor or ratObatics, they just kinda fall over dead, but with the 17HH at those extended ranges you still get a decent amount of carnage.

Beldings ground squirrels AKA sage rats aren't all that big and when you start shooting at them wayyyy out there, the difficulty level goes up exponentially so the better your optics, ammo, and gun shoots, the higher your hit percentage will be.

Sorry, I don't know what the difference is between the new vs old magazine. I'm sure someone here will know though.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:58 PM
TheCZKid
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Excellent reply sir!! Thank you for taking the time to give me all those pointers.

As far as rings, I got the Leupold rings from MidwayUSA https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102089157?pid=649434 as they are medium height, 30mm for the 527, hopefully they work with whatever I end up mounting. I might have to play "musical scopes" with a scope from another rifle I own. I seem to do that periodically, swap one for another. I've not even seen a version of this rifle in person, so I have no idea what the comb feels like, and the height.

Sounds like James Calhoon might be a great resource for fixing potential issues. I got his site up, and will look more thoroughly soon.

As far as reloading... so the Federal ammo is made by Hornady, and the brass must therefor just be the same too, just stamped differently.

Reloading - I have pretty much gone to Forster dies for all my rifle calibers, but they make no 17 Hornet dies. And the Redding die sets are Super expensive, but I might go that route on the sizing die soon. I'm hoping the Hornady seater die I just got will give good concentricity.

I watched a YouTube video last night from a guy that uses the Type S full length sizer die https://www.midwayusa.com/ltd/product?pid=639008 with a bushing, and it just lightly sizes the brass and bumps the shoulder, not sure if that's the same you are talking about? He tried the neck sizing die with bushing and said after 2 firings he couldn't chamber the ammo and needed to go to the FL die to lightly size and push the shoulder back, but the bushing neck die was good no not overwork the necks.

I'll likely end up full action bed this gun soon, want to take it out and shoot first, then decide if I want to just bed or pillar bed it. The pillar bedding I did on the 455 was the most complicated bedding I ever did, and it was on a brand new 455! The pucker factor was high! Below is the front pillar on the 455...

Old 09-16-2020, 01:13 PM
TheCZKid
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
My HB SS Bmag has had a fair amount of work done to it and is my favorite sage rat gun. Mostly, because as you know, a person can burn through 300-500 rounds in a day shooting sage rats and using the potent 17 WSM rimfire instead of a centerfire saves tons of time in the reloading room.

BUT, if you, the gun, and the ammo are up to it the 17 Hornet will definitely extend your range by quite a bit and still have a good amount of splat factor at those extended ranges. I've shot sage rats out to 350yds with my 17 WSM and there isn't much splat factor or ratObatics, they just kinda fall over dead, but with the 17HH at those extended ranges you still get a decent amount of carnage.

Beldings ground squirrels AKA sage rats aren't all that big and when you start shooting at them wayyyy out there, the difficulty level goes up exponentially so the better your optics, ammo, and gun shoots, the higher your hit percentage will be.

Sorry, I don't know what the difference is between the new vs old magazine. I'm sure someone here will know though.
We might have the same Bmag, I got the thumbhole stock version with heavy SS barrel, great gun after bedding it. I've got a good scope on it, makes a difference for sure. I've shot the Bmag out quite far, and, as you say, the sage rats are REALLY small at long range. It's quite the challenge to shoot something about the size of a Coke can at 300= yards! But that's why I wanted the Hornet, just to get that extra Oomph! ratObatics indeed!

Last edited by TheCZKid; 09-16-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:06 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am NOT speaking from experience here. Only what I have read. That is reaming the chamber to a K-Hornet will greatly improve the gun. Case life is the big plus. Some performance gain.

The same dies may work for neck sizing with the right adjustment.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes and no on the K Hornet performance gains. Hodgdon Lil'Gun has mostly negated the K's velocity gain over the standard case. If using other powders the K wins. As for case life if the standard Hornet case neck is resized just to the seated bullets base (which can be done with FL die adjustment) case life is very similar. Accuracy also has the potential to be very similar.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:51 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I am NOT speaking from experience here. Only what I have read. That is reaming the chamber to a K-Hornet will greatly improve the gun. Case life is the big plus. Some performance gain.

The same dies may work for neck sizing with the right adjustment.
If you're talking about comparing the old standard 22 Hornet to a 22 K Hornet I'd tend to agree but the K Hornet, Ackley Hornet, and Hornady Hornet are all so very similar that when loaded to equal pressure they are all near mirror images of one another.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:04 PM
TheCZKid
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up The cost of Preparing for reloading a New Caliber!

Well, it's been a while since I purchased a new caliber... and not only am I purchasing the gun, but all the stuff that goes along with it! Amazing

So, to be able to shoot it I purchased 300 rounds of factory ammo to start with, and then started looking at the reloading aspect... that's when I spent a lot more than I had anticipated.

It appears the 17 Hornet is a more expensive gun to buy, because not that many are made. But also Dies and other items are more expensive and harder to find too!

Earlier I stated I got the Hornady Custom Grade dies, and Microjust seating top... well I've decided to upgrade for accuracy sake. Why spend lots of money on a nice CZ rifle and skimp on the reloading parts? COST!!! Well, I decided to spend what was needed to get the most out of this rifle. Can anyone relate?

Redding Type-S Match Bushing Dies with Competition seater - $259.77 from Midsouth Shooters Supply. Added the Titanium Nitride bushings in .190" and .191" hopefully to be correct for these necks, $28.96 each.

And, to fill in what's needed for the new caliber, and reloading had to get a whole bunch of other stuff! Hornady brass (250 cases on the way) RCBS bullet puller collet for 17, Hornady comparator bushing for 17, LE Wilson case gauge, Hornady bullets, Redding flash hole deburr tool, new powders, dry case lube, a new "Precision Hardcore" funnel, a Lee case trimmer with bushing for 17, and more stuff too. I'm sure many of you know the drill.

Now, I hope when the rifle arrives it'll be a shooter!
Old 09-18-2020, 03:07 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCZKid View Post
Now, I hope when the rifle arrives it'll be a shooter!
And if it's not, nothing a new Lilja or PacNor barrel won't fix.

Nah, just messing with you, the little CZ 527's usually shoot pretty well. Just make sure you give the inside of the barrel a real good scrubbing before you shoot because they come from the factory with some nasty thick crap in them.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:52 PM
TheCZKid
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was trying to figure out about the "Newer" mags vs the Older mags... I purchased 3 extra mags from GunMag Warehouse and it stated these were the "New Style" and here's the explanation I found, in case anyone want to know:

These are “new style” (13019) magazines for use with rifles with serial numbers HIGHER than B3xxxxx

USE ITEM #13009 FOR 527'S WITH A SERIAL NUMBER LOWER THAN B3xxxxx

The older version is still available, but also cost $44.99 instead of $37.99.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:33 PM
idahoron

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a CZ 527 Varmint with a factory threaded barrel. Those are hard to find.

I got mine and started testing and cleaning.

After about 100 so so accuracy rounds a guy I know said quit cleaning it. So I tried that. My rifle doesn't like to be cleaned. When I do clean it I have to shoot several rounds to get it back.

I would post more pictures but they are all with a ton of dead varmints and predators. I can't post them here.