Smith Wesson said Sorry but no longer... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-14-2020, 05:08 PM
tigmaned
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Smith Wesson said Sorry but we no longer work on the 46

Smith & Wesson sent me message back saying Sorry we no longer work on the model-46 pistols.....

a few days ago i sent Smith Wesson a e-mail with a service question on my model-46 pistol... i just asked if i could get all the springs and worn parts changed out, the cost and time frame to do it...

and with not being able to find anything any where on line as far as directions how to go about it i am a little bummed.. so i may still try to change some springs in it myself..

Last edited by tigmaned; 09-15-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:24 PM
sceva
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
isn't it the same parts / Procedures as a Mod 41?
Old 09-14-2020, 06:45 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Itís exactly the same as a 41 call Numrich they will have a schematic or look at books by JB Wood itís a really simple pistol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2020, 07:00 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check with Brownells for Model 41 parts.

Also, you might call back S&W and talk to a different person and see if the answer is the same.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:53 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (95)
That is a pity. SMITH AND WESSON has really went south on servicing the older guns. I would think the model 46 would be the same as the 41 but with a duller finish. Why would they not work on it as the 41 is still being manufactured by them??
Old 09-15-2020, 09:43 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Try Clark Custom Guns. They offer M41 gunsmithing services, and as noted above, the 46 is virtually identical.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:16 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
S&W over the years has gone through several different owners. Some abused the name and others took the profits and ran. Quality control has gone up and down over the years. Currently (starting about 5 or so years ago) the present management changed how the Model 41 was built. Before then they were each assembled by a few of their top notch assemblers, from start to shipping (One assembler per gun almost custom shop like). Today they have two lines. One is more assembly line like and the other is their Performance Shop assembled. But based on comments here, a gun from either line can have quality issues. The service has suffered too. Often guns have to go back multiple times to fix a problem.

The S&W position that they no longer work on the long since discontinued Model 46 is bogus. The 46 was the same as the 41 but with less care in assembly and a lesser finish. This sounds like the phone guy was referring to a list of discontinued guns without knowledge of the guns at all. If you repaired Model 41ís why not the nearly identical Model 46? Itís dumb!

So why change out the springs? The only spring I might change out on an older Model 41/46 would be the recoil spring unless there is an obvious spring problem somewhere else.

LDBennett
Old 09-16-2020, 10:26 AM
tigmaned

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
i have sent another e-mail to s&w....again asking why not the 46 when they still make 41...

i have changed recoil spring, and parts in slide those easy... but haven't found much on frame.. time to work on Pawl part since pawl doesn't seem to be working just right when taking barrel on and off i have to move pawl to get barrel back on..

i did find a copy of American Rifleman August 1961 which seems to have good info on the 41
Old 09-16-2020, 01:12 PM
stu1ritter
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does the August 1961 issue of the Rifleman have receiver disassembly/assembly instructions?

thanks,

Stu
Old 09-16-2020, 04:14 PM
tigmaned

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
i'll let you know when i get it in mail..if so i'll scan them and send them by e-mail... Smith Wesson sent me a Model -46 PDF file..from the early days.. its to big to post here... so if anyone wants a copy send me message with there e-mail.. i'll be glad to send it.

Last edited by tigmaned; 09-18-2020 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:33 PM
tigmaned

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
since it seems most places are out of stock on trigger bar springs i sent message to s&w again... this time to see if they have any....
they e-mail me back saying its a factory installed parts and i would have to send my 46 in.... i e-mailed back how am i supposed to do that since i got another e-mail saying you NO LONGER work on the 46....
still waiting now.....
Old 09-23-2020, 06:31 PM
tigmaned

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
after all that there going to send me the spring...