Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 09:09 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
Holy Smokes Sophia a 20 x 40 foot addition. What do you do in your shop manufacture 747s?
Short version is the quilting is a) taking more space, what with several specialty machines and the need for large layout spaces as well as fabric storage and 2) the jewelry making, stained glass, etc in that space aren't kind to the fabric so there needs to be some social distancing implemented. Collateral effect is to convert the existing shop into something large enough and laid out in such a fashion that it can later be converted to and sold as a residence if and when I'm moved to remove myself from The Raggedy Edge.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:12 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Ok all you astrologists or astronomers or astral projectors....
... and on that note, Sol was at his minimum activity level nine months ago. He has started the climb back to max with the peak predicted for 2025. Expect the usual sunspot-related disruptions. As if things weren't wonky enough.

https://newatlas.com/space/sun-solar-cycle-25-begins/

Last edited by Sophia; 09-16-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:22 AM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
60 degrees already today, with smoke & haze in the air.

I'll be glad when this is over...

Photographically speaking, my "normal" lens is 600mm (for long shots), now due to the haze I've had to go to a 440mm and lastly a 300mm for short to medium distances.

Today I'm packing the 300mm.

There isn't any use fighting the weather...

Last edited by COW 54; 09-19-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:29 AM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Lawn mowed, edged, leaf blowed, and rounded up.

Karen's little car, and my big truck both warshed.

Lunch, chicken sammich, has been had.

About to shower, then geaux to the toof doctor.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:47 AM
gewehrfreund

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD1 View Post
Uranus?
Well, there's no need to be rude, Kevin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Evening? Mars. Morning? Venus.

https://stellarium-web.org/
OK. I just wasn't sure if it was red due to the rocks and dirt, or thanks to the western fire starters. Still it seems very large for such a small planet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
... and on that note, Sol was at his minimum activity level nine months ago. He has started the climb back to max with the peak predicted for 2025. Expect the usual sunspot-related disruptions. As if things weren't wonky enough.

https://newatlas.com/space/sun-solar-cycle-25-begins/
It is 2020, after all . . . . . . . .
Old 09-16-2020, 10:55 AM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice mater pick Cow, and good sticking around for a while report. Hope the air gets better soon for you.

Great redneck Geezer making geyser, while entertaining neighbors report Blackwolfe.
I put in 250' of french drain about 12 years ago that I ended with a Y just 15' short of the road. The end of the Y is about 20' apart with a pit 20' x 8' 8' deep filled with 2B crushed stone then soil on top, instead of running out onto the road, and having the neighbors cause a rif. When we get a hard rain in the wet season I get a geyser in the middle of the pit that has shot up about 2'. Always makes me smile.

Did some errands this morning. Grab lunch, and pick something to shoot. It's a great day for it, heading for 70* sunny with very light wind. Started out at 48* today.

Last edited by Hawkeye57; 09-16-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:59 AM
wookness
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I've a friend who has made a comfortable living doing quilting from the downturn of '08 forward anyway. He was employed as successful engineer prior, but got laid off. He'd been doing that kind of work on the side for sometime prior that began w/his making some quilts for himself. Prolly an inherited gene from his Dutch background, the ability to engage in stoic tedium. His 'shop', exclusively devoted to quilting is actually a separate detached home like building w/an open floor plan because of the need for space for the layout tables and rather specialized machinery that he uses. Its fascinating work & the complexity can get crazy wild. He is like the final assembly person for a clientele he has developed over time. Anyway, easy to understand the need for open space.

Would also suggest that quality of light be taken into consideration as you go about your planning. I'm sure it already has been, but saying JIC, it hasn't.
--

No pea fowl were visible this morning on the roof or otherwise.
--

Scary, what Sally is/was doing! Have friends over that way near where it made landfall. Pray they are out of harm's way.

Also pray for an end to the fires out west and air you can breathe, safely, once more.

Its a nice day here, but the increase in crime(s) is very disconcerting. Dallas, Arlington & Ft. Worth all looking for new police chefs at this time. Rather, the citizens should be looking at the entire municipal gubments and unelected appointed fat cats if any real change is to be affected.

Sun just came out! Bride fixed pancakes for breakfast; they were gud too!
Old 09-16-2020, 11:05 AM
dbmjr1

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
One of my wife's former students is in Florida. He has lost both automobiles and his garage to flooding. No power.

He's a great fellow. He joined the AF, and they sent him to Army Sniper School.

In Afgan, he was the fence around his base.

He got home and became a nurse. Now going to medical school to become a doctor.

Got tired of taking, and wanted to save a few.

I'm off to the dentist's. (Periodontist)

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:27 AM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Yeah that COW, more picachures!

Decent gutter screens are to be had for less $$ than they used to be, unless you're really digging the geyser.
Kinda digging the geyser, but then I'm easily amused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsquirrel View Post
Wow Blackwolfe, what a project. Did you have to get a permit from the gov Gretch?
No, it was an outdoor venue. Big Gretch is welcome to come watch, I have just the place for her to sit.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:40 AM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:

It is 2020, after all . . . . . . . .
And people thought that Y2K was going to be rough.....
Old 09-16-2020, 11:48 AM
Wayne Sihler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Started out a cool 47* this AM. Will warm to the mid 70s by afternoon.Air in the Valley this morning was hazy, may be wood smoke, from western fires or folks just trying to get warmer this morning.

Will now go out and run several tanks of fuel thru the weedeater,give the slope(bank)back of the house its fall trimming.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:10 PM
Brent

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
I thought that I was feeling better and after getting the negative test result back, went to work yesterday. I was working in an area away from the other guys, except my boss who has already had Covid19. By late morning I was feeling bad again. I decided to schedule another test. First one they did a throat swab. From reports I've read, they have more false negatives with those. I was able to get a nasal test done yesterday afternoon. We've had another coworker in another department that was diagnosed positive. She and the coworker in my department both go to the same church. They also have a school there. Eight of the teachers as well as the pastor and some staff have all tested positive. I was talking on the phone with the coworker from my department yesterday evening and described my symptoms. He said they matched his exactly. Said he had days he felt better, then worse. That reassured me that getting the second test done was the right thing to do. Should know something by tomorrow or Friday on that. If it's not Covid19, it sure is weird timing with all that's going on around me right now. Fortunately every case of it with the people I mentioned has been mild. Numbers are still dropping in our county. I'm doing ok. Worst part is headaches and a little winded feeling.

Brent
Old 09-16-2020, 12:13 PM
Atonic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Ok all you astrologists or astronomers or astral projectors, what large, bright reddish (due to fires?) planet am I seeing fairly low in the eastern night sky the last few nights? I thought it might be Jupiter, but I saw no Jupiter-like spots through my spotting scope, which does fine at 100 and 200 yards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD1 View Post
Uranus?
Uranus is currently visible to the naked eye (younger ones, anyway) but you were most likely seeing Mars.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:03 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Visit to my Surgeon has me scheduled for Valve removal Monday around mid day and should be home later that evening, me so happy....
Old 09-16-2020, 01:40 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
Kinda digging the geyser, but then I'm easily amused.

No, it was an outdoor venue. Big Gretch is welcome to come watch, I have just the place for her to sit.
She's on, no, the tv, @ present if you're up.

Good on ya Gerald.

Our mergansers spend 95% of their lives in the water and take a bath before preening oil thru the feathers observed 20 min. ago.
Geese and lil tweeties are migrating amongst others that were not observed or heard today.

lite 55˚ raininen