Does a .22 rimfire rifle need a "rimfire" scope? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:17 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Use the Leupold. At 3 x you wont notice anything. At 9 x , keep your head still, good advice, for any shooter. Zero it at the distance youll be shooting the most and at the magnification youll be using the most. 75 yards is the optimal zero for most 22 ammo. 50 yards the most common. .

Try it , if you dont like it , buy a new scope, or send the Leupold in and they will set the parralax where ever you want.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:44 PM
Ojaileveraction

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Use what you have until you can tell it is not working for you.
Then apply that experience to your next choice.
You will make better choices.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:36 AM
Jonzim
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I certainly don't have the experience like the other posters here with parallax issues, but I have a Leupold Rifleman 3x9-40 scope mounted on my 22lr RAR and it shoots just fine and consistent. I sighted in mine for 35 yards as that covers most of the pest situations around my place. Since you have the Leupold already, I would say go with it and see if it works for you.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:53 AM
azshot
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Most people shoot .22s at 25-50 yards. Get one that will focus that closely too. My adjustable parallax scopes actually appear out of focus If set for the wrong distance. When I screw them down to where I'm shooting, I don't look at the marks on the scope much, I look at the sharpness of the image.

I bought a Redfield "baby" 4x without AO. I still don't know what it's set to be optimal for, but it seems out of focus for the different plinking ranges I do.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:41 AM
aarondhgraham
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
So, if I have this correct,,,

So, if I have this correct,,,
  • A dedicated "rimfire" scope probably has the parallax set for 50 yards.
  • A rifle scope (not dedicated rimfire) probably has the parallax set for 100 yards.
  • A parallax adjustable scope is preferable but more expensive.
  • If I can keep my eye centered in the scope parallax problems are minimized/eliminated.

I want to try this Mauser as a long(er) range rifle,,,
My "game" for this gun will be playing cards at 100 yards.

It has performed very precisely with iron sights at 25 and 50 yards,,,
I am hoping it will perform well at 100 yards.

I believe I'll take the advice of Toomany22s,,,
I have the Leupold in hand so what can it hurt to give it a try.

If it works out that's all to the good,,,
If it doesn't then I'll get something else later on.

Thanks Gentlemen,,,
I appreciate your input.

Aarond

Last edited by aarondhgraham; 09-15-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:01 AM
Pa22Rimfire
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Leupold Rim fire scopes without AO are adjusted to 60 yards.

Leupold standard scopes without AO are adjusted to 150 yards.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:16 AM
supersharp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I actually never use a scope that is meant for rimfire they normally don't appeal to me. As long is the scope will parallax to under 50 yd and you are not concerned about weight you should be fine. If you find that you are shooting at much closer ranges there are many scopes that will parallax down to 25 yards or less.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:18 PM
aarondhgraham

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The problem in researching this is,,,

The problem in researching this is,,,
None of the websites I have visited have info on parallax.

At least none that I can find.

Maybe I'm too worried about the fine details,,,
As old as my eyes are it probably won't make any difference.

So here I go playing "musical scopes" again.

I'll take the Leupold Rifleman off the H&R .357 Handi-Rifle and mount it on the Mauser es340b.

I'll take the Bushnell Banner off the H&R .22 Sportster and put it on the Handi-Rifle.

I'll mount an inexpensive but serviceable red-dot that I own and put it on the .22 Sportster.

When I finally find and purchase my Retirement Rifle (Winchester 1885 Rimfire Hunter) I'll probably order one of these two scopes for it:
  • Leupold VX-Freedom Rifle Scope
  • Leupold VX-Freedom Rimfire Rifle Scope

At least that's the plan-de-jour,,,
Subject to change as I learn and read more about optics.

Aarond

Old 09-15-2020, 12:44 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I'll make an attempt to explain basically how parallax works. Look through your rifle scope at a target. Line up the crosshairs on the target and then ever so slightly move your head from side to side (you only need to move a tiny bit to see it) and you will notice that the crosshairs move to a different poa on the target as you move your head. It won't be a ton of movement, depending on how much you move your head. When you have a scope that has the parallax set at the exact distance of your target the reticle poa will stay in the same spot when you move your head side to side. Kind of like a red dot, which is parallax free. You can look at a red dot that's pointed at a target from different angles and the dot will have the same poa. A fixed parallax rimfire scope usually has the parallax set between 50 - 75 yards and a fixed power centerfire scope is usually set between 100 - 150 yards. That means that there will be no parallax at those distances no matter what magnification you are on. An AO or side focus scope let's you adjust out the parallax for whatever distance you are shooting. Some can only adjust down to 50 yards while others can go below 10 yards. If you can line up your eye with your scope exactly the same from shot to shot (which is very difficult) then you will eliminate any parallax because the poa would be the same every time. None of this really matters unless your looking for something for precision shooting. You can still take a 100 yard fixed parallax scope and shoot it pretty well @25 yards. Most people will never even notice a difference. When you get into precision shooting that 1/8" +/- matters a lot more which is why it becomes more important to have a scope that can adjust parallax. I apologise if I confused you even further, I'm sure there's someone who can explain it much better than me.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:10 PM
aarondhgraham

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Actually Nick7274,,,

That was very comprehensible,,,

Thank you.

Aarond

Old 09-15-2020, 03:20 PM
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When it comes to rimfire rifles and scopes, my rimfire rifles are the only ones that have the higher magnification options with parallax or AO. I love shooting them further than what the social community states that they shoot. I zero mine at 100 and shoot them constantly at 200 yards.

The scopes I use for hunting are only 9X max, but 22's are what I like to train with through out the year whether it's learning to read the wind or shooting off hand. By having higher power scopes I can see the targets better at 2 and 300 yards and if I want to shot for groups they perform exceptionally at 25 and 50 yards.

The latest scopes I bought were the Bushnell Forge that were at 50% off during the holidays. So to answer your question no you don't have to use rimfire scopes on rimfire rifles. The only rifles I don't use a scope on are my 52C or my 513T, still use the Redfield sights.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:47 AM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Parallax adjustable scopes for a .22 are nice. Scopes made for .22LR are set for approx 50 yards. I have 2 Leupold VX1 2X7 .22 scopes. One is on a 10/22 the other on an RWS .22 spring gun. I really like them, I can shoot groups with the RWS at 30 feet, with the 10/22 at 25 or 50 yards. These scopes do not have adjustable P/A. I have a VX2 4X12 P/A adjustable regular rifle scope on a CZ American, Works fine, it seems to adjust down to 25 yards or less.
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary,
Old 09-16-2020, 12:46 PM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
For rimfire, my scopes are for plinking, and entertainment,, (MY entertainment)

Finding the used scope can be as much entertainment as using it.

That said, my last two scope purchases have been eBay "hunted" scopes,,
one is a Redfield 12X (OLD, real old, maybe 1960's?)

WOW, once you shoot with something like the Redfield,, you have a different thought on what the right scope is,,
(including shipping, I spent $155 for the Redfield)

I also found a Redfield 3200 for sale locally, but, that scope is so pretty, I have not been able to bring myself to put it on a rifle,,

So,, why not look for a used AO scope?
Old 09-16-2020, 02:03 PM
aarondhgraham

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmk View Post
So,, why not look for a used AO scope?
Mainly because I have not had good fortune/luck with used gear in the past,,,
Most of the time I've ended up buying someone else's used-up junk.

Since I am able to afford it (Single, no dependents, do debts),,,
I prefer buying new with a warranty.

I realize that cuts me out of a lot of good possibilities,,,
But it does give me greater peace of mind.

Aarond

Old 09-16-2020, 02:59 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Centerfire scopes can work fine on a rimfire, with a proviso or two. Parallax only becomes an issue if your eye is not in the same position for each shot(i.e. your eye should be positioned in the center of the field of view every time).
Unless you plan to compete with the rifle, your Leupold 3-9 should be OK for plinking or informal target shooting. It should even be OK for most rimfire hunting situations.
Precisely. Rimfire-specific scopes didn't even exist when most of us got into shooting "22s", and we somehow managed. And many scopes (usually higher magnification scopes), even with AO, either don't adjust down to less than 50 yards, or will not even focus that closely. The EFR scopes are very nice but are a relatively recent development.

As one has already suggested, mount the Freedom on there and shoot it. When shooting it, just take note of how much, or whether or not, the reticle appears to move around the aiming point when moving your head up, down, right, and left, and you will quickly get a feel for the degree on the problem, if any. I've had centerfire Leupolds show as much as 3" of movement at 50 yards, and as little as zero movement.

TBR

P.S. I was also going to suggest sending the scope back to Leupold for parallax adjustment, like someone else mentioned, but the last time I asked Leupold to modify an existing scope (I wanted low profile knobs installed), I was told they stopped offering that kind of service. This was only about a month ago. It is very possible Leupold will no longer alter the parallax-free distance on a scope.

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 09-16-2020 at 03:13 PM.