10/22 Target. Me relearning an old fact: Ammunition Matters. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:04 PM
tjay53
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22 Target. Me relearning an old fact: Ammunition Matters.

I bought a Ruger 10/22 Target years ago. The one with the spiraled heavy barrel and the laminated stock. It had set in my bedroom closet for years unused. It sat there unattended because getting it to shoot less then 1" at 50 yards had previously proved impossible. It was too heavy for a plinker so it sat unused. All I read on the rifle indicated is was just not an accurate rifle. Many trashed it. I had also decided it was just inaccurate. It is a stock rifle with a Leupold 2-7 Rifleman scope. I had tried several varieties of ammunition to no avail. 1.5 and 2 inch groups were common. So I put it up and considered selling it. Lucky I never did. Today I pulled a bore snake through the rifle barrel and after 10 fouling shots with Thunderbolt shot five 10 round groups at 50 yards using my gun bag as a rest. The ammo was SK Biathlon Sport. Like magic all five 10 round groups fell within 3/4 inch except for one which had a flier which I know I caused. That group excluding the flier was one ragged hole measuring 1/2 inch for 9 shots. Either abandoning a rifle to a closet for years will get its mind right or, and most likely, this gun needed SK Biathlon Sport. The SK Pistol ammo shot within and inch from the rifle. I am now a happy shooter. I am tempted to haul this Ruger Target on my next squirrel hunt as it is out shooting my CZ 455.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:26 AM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
welcome to RFC

is your Target the blued version, or the SS one?

a 2x-7x is not enough magnification for wringing out the best that the rifle can give you..it belongs more on a sporter that's used for activities like hunting and all around plinking than a Target model...do yourself a favor and get a scope with an adjustable objective ans more magnification..I prefer something around 14x, and 18x is even better when shooting for groups on paper

and a shot that you caused to be out of the group is not a flyer, it's just a pulled shot..a flyer goes wild from the group even though you did everything correctly
Old 09-16-2020, 05:27 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes 10/22's like certain brands

And rimfire ammo isnt what it used to be...

I would avoid thunderbolts like the plauge if I where you even for fouling shots, it will serously fould up your gun, im sure they use charcfoal as a propellant, as it gummed up my 10/22 in less than two mags, after that they wouldnt even chamber, such was the ashtray like deposits in the action of the gun!

Most shooters recommend using the same brand of ammo to foul a barrel, as to shoot it as it can take up to 50 shots for a barrel to adapt to a particular brand, as different brands use different lubricants and lead compounds.

You said it SK is unbeatable in a 10/22 in the Uk most people who shoot competitive skill at arms and rapid fire matches use SK standard plus or RWS club, both of which are incredibly reliable.

I used to shoot gallery rifle with a 10/22 over here in the UK and we have a 1500 match which is set at various distances sitting kneeling and standing.
300 rounds in a single speedplate comp without a missfire was not uncommon.

Any failure in this comp will bump you down to the bottom of the table and quite simply only RWS club or SK std + are up for that task, they burn clean are very very consistent and above all are both very accurate brands of ammo.

Put it this way I fired 5000 rounds of RWS club in my 10/22 without a single failure to fire stovepipe or dud primer.

if you really want to see a shrinkage in your grouping, I would suggest trying some Eley Tennex as a treat to youreslf aka (The 1955 Dom Perignon Champaign of rimfire ammo)

Eley Tennex is truly incredible the accuracy it can squeeze out of what would appear to be a mediocre rifle, has to be seen to be ebelived, Ive seen old clunkers suddely come to life with the use of tennex.... however with on caveat, it costs around the same and factory centre fire ammo over here in the UK its not uncommon to pay 25 for a box of 50.

But if its good enough for the Olympic finals its good enough for me as the occasional treat oh and my 10/22 with 12 inch volquartsen carbon wrap barrel loved the stuff, although the old gents though i was a hooligan....Kind of like drinking champagne from a jam jar!

Glad you found your accuracy and please stop with the Thunderbolts, your only encouraging them to make more of the stuff....if you keep buying it

Last edited by Discontinued; 09-16-2020 at 06:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2020, 07:36 AM
jim2527

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post

I would avoid thunderbolts like the plauge if I where you even for fouling shots, it will serously fould up your gun, im sure they use charcfoal as a propellant, as it gummed up my 10/22 in less than two mags, after that they wouldnt even chamber, such was the ashtray like deposits in the action of the gun!

Most shooters recommend using the same brand of ammo to foul a barrel, as to shoot it as it can take up to 50 shots for a barrel to adapt to a particular brand, as different brands use different lubricants and lead compounds.

You said it SK is unbeatable in a 10/22 in the Uk most people who shoot competitive skill at arms and rapid fire matches use SK standard plus or RWS club, both of which are incredibly reliable.

I used to shoot gallery rifle with a 10/22 over here in the UK and we have a 1500 match which is set at various distances sitting kneeling and standing.

Any failure in this comp will bump you down to the bottom of the table and quite simply only RWS club or SK std + are up for that task, they burn clean are very very consistent and above all are both very accurate brands of ammo.

Put it this way I fired 5000 rounds of RWS club in my 10/22 without a single failure to fire stovepipe or dud primer.
Great info here!! I've had great success with RWS Target Rifle which is very similar to Club. 'Foul' is a new term for me but what I did was measure rim thickness and used any outliers for fouling.

I shot several sub .750 groups at 50 yards yesterday with the RWS.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:35 AM
RodgerB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I could have written this!!!

I have the SS version and had the VX-2 2 by 7 on it and seldom shot it.

Recently a friend who shoots a lot competitions and his wife as well, said get it out and see what it can do.

I cleaned barrel, swapped out a VX3 6.5 by 20 off a 22-250 I have and gathered ammo, loved results, added timney trigger and am Thrilled!!

Issues I have are, wearing glasses and on bench (tipod and sandbag at rear, getting eye relief was a mess...I an thinking about two changes:

Add a picatinny rail for greater flexibility (will my mounts work?).

Move from the factory 1022T stock to the Boyds AT1 so head is more upright and look through center of eyeglasses not the top right hand corner like I'm forced to now

Look forward to expert thoughts!
Old 09-16-2020, 08:37 PM
tjay53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is the blued version.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:56 PM
tjay53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerB View Post
I could have written this!!!

I have the SS version and had the VX-2 2 by 7 on it and seldom shot it.

Recently a friend who shoots a lot competitions and his wife as well, said get it out and see what it can do.

I cleaned barrel, swapped out a VX3 6.5 by 20 off a 22-250 I have and gathered ammo, loved results, added timney trigger and am Thrilled!!

Issues I have are, wearing glasses and on bench (tipod and sandbag at rear, getting eye relief was a mess...I an thinking about two changes:

Add a picatinny rail for greater flexibility (will my mounts work?).

Move from the factory 1022T stock to the Boyds AT1 so head is more upright and look through center of eyeglasses not the top right hand corner like I'm forced to now

Look forward to expert thoughts!
Pretty cool when what I thought was a lemon turns out to be a pretty decent rifle. I think I will leave mine stock. Even with the 2-7 scope at 7x I can see at least a quarter inch wiggle in the crosshairs at 50 yards. I need to control me. What I am saying is that right now the rifle outshoots me. I need to work on my technique before I start making changes to the rifle. Congratulations on your success with your rifle.

Last edited by tjay53; 09-16-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:04 PM
tjay53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
welcome to RFC

a 2x-7x is not enough magnification for wringing out the best that the rifle can give you..it belongs more on a sporter that's used for activities like hunting and all around plinking than a Target model...do yourself a favor and get a scope with an adjustable objective ans more magnification..I prefer something around 14x, and 18x is even better when shooting for groups on paper

and a shot that you caused to be out of the group is not a flyer, it's just a pulled shot..a flyer goes wild from the group even though you did everything correctly
Most of my shooting is done offhand inside 75 yards. Usually at clay pigeons. I am a hunter and the 2x7 will give me good field of view. All this for me is fun practice for squirrels and centerfire big game. I shoot off the bench to get sighted in. For me the fun is standing and shooting. Thanks for the advice. I suppose if I were to start shooting prone a higher magnification would help out.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:10 PM
tjay53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post

if you really want to see a shrinkage in your grouping, I would suggest trying some Eley Tennex as a treat to youreslf aka (The 1955 Dom Perignon Champaign of rimfire ammo)

Eley Tennex is truly incredible the accuracy it can squeeze out of what would appear to be a mediocre rifle, has to be seen to be ebelived, Ive seen old clunkers suddely come to life with the use of tennex.... however with on caveat, it costs around the same and factory centre fire ammo over here in the UK its not uncommon to pay 25 for a box of 50.

But if its good enough for the Olympic finals its good enough for me as the occasional treat oh and my 10/22 with 12 inch volquartsen carbon wrap barrel loved the stuff, although the old gents though i was a hooligan....Kind of like drinking champagne from a jam jar!

Glad you found your accuracy and please stop with the Thunderbolts, your only encouraging them to make more of the stuff....if you keep buying it
As you with your WRS I am getting excellent reliability out of the SK ammo. As much as I shoot the SK is knocking a hole in my bank account. I bet Tennex would really hurt.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:12 PM
tjay53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
welcome to RFC

Blued. It would make a hell of a squirrel gun were it not so heavy to lug around.