More, less, or the same? How often do you go shooting? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:44 PM
dmthomp32

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I try to hit up the indoor range every two weeks. If I had a reasonable outdoor range in a closer proximity I'd gladly get outdoors to shoot my big rifles more frequently, but currently centerfire rifles only get shot maybe twice a year.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2020, 02:12 AM
Nerostarr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I go twice a week and have been going all year long weather permitting. I have been only shooting rimfire for the last several years now, I have other calibers and ammo but I just don't shoot them. 22lr scratches my itch very nicely. Actually several of my friends have begun shooting rimfire from bigger guns, they love the challenge in it also.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:17 AM
colt45sa
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A long time ago

As the years go bye, I shoot less and less. Although I love to shoot, I don't have to tell you how our ability to do so has become more and more restricted. We have been herded into 'controlled' shooting ranges where a visit is $12 regardless of the amount of time you will be there. The world I grew up in and enjoyed thru age 50 are just memories.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:22 AM
TeamSidewinder

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The same but instead of 9mm I will shoot .22 rimfire.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:30 PM
IronWing

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin_shooter View Post
America needs more of us making more trips to the range (but thatís a post for another day)!

Anyway, are you shooting more, less, or the same? Iím actually making it to the range more times, but shooting less ammunition. Instead of 150-200 rounds of factory 9mm every time, itís 50, or maybe 70-100 rounds of reloads one trip, and then 60 or 70 rounds of slow fire 22 the next trip.

Hoping that I have more than enough components (another 5000 primers would buy me another year) and plinking 22 to make it to better days.
When the weather is nice I hit the range behind my Dad's (now sister, bro-in-law, and niece) house every Sunday afternoon. My bro-in-law and niece shoot too, mostly .22. The past 2 months it has been either ridiculously hot and humid or raining a lot so I couldn't hit the range until last week. Now it's cooler and less humid, so I am hitting the range. My black powder club also has a shoot every month. I once read that Virginia law used to require target practice on Sundays. Some old blue laws are still on the books so I'm not taking any chances!
Old 09-12-2020, 10:37 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I live in a rural area and my "range" is about 40 feet away from m bedroom. But I am shooting far less than I used to do, have to conserve them $$.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:12 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
After a little bit more hunting I think I'll try and find a 243 to practice improvised standing and kneeling positions. I've got a lot of retumbo burners and they aren't practical for prolonged periods of shooting. Kinda got caught with my pants down on small rifle primers, but was surprised to find 4500 large rifle primers....

Hopefully this means more centerfire shooting while rimfire is a wee bit scarce.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:54 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
I'm a gopher hunter and shoot these reactive targets for ~six months out of the year

At work, In the fall and early winter, I break out the finer rifles and punch holes every chance I get, got a little range there; I love to discipline my body and bring it into the zone

I can do the same thing on my motorcycle

I'd rather be riding-

pipestone
Old 09-15-2020, 07:19 AM
mparker
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Rimfire pistol 3 times a week

Air pistol 3 times a week
Old 09-16-2020, 07:28 AM
68bonne

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up you said a mouth full

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt45sa View Post
As the years go bye, I shoot less and less. Although I love to shoot, I don't have to tell you how our ability to do so has become more and more restricted. We have been herded into 'controlled' shooting ranges where a visit is $12 regardless of the amount of time you will be there. The world I grew up in and enjoyed thru age 50 are just memories.
I agree your last sentence is so correct what happened to the U.S.of A. its all a memory.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:13 AM
aarondhgraham
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The Covid-19 pandemic slowed me down a bit,,,

The Covid-19 pandemic slowed me down a bit,,,
But I'm starting to get back out in the world again.

My rifle/pistol club didn't shut down,,,
But they did "social distance" the lanes reducing the number.

I used to go after work on Tuesday and Thursday,,,
One box of 50 slow shooting from a bench.

Then one weekend day shooting my semi-auto pistols.

Lately if I get out to shoot once a weekend I feel lucky.

I know that over the severe winter months,,,
I'll probably not go much due to the dang cold in my old bones.

I'm retiring in January of 2021,,,
After that I plan to spend a lot more time at the range.

Even if it's just sitting in my lawn chair reading a book.

Aarond

Old 09-16-2020, 01:56 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Finally, after 3 decades of trying the DNR finally is going forward, legally and otherwise approved, building the first public range in the upper half of MI, finally.

I shoot at ye olde gravel pit from a bubba portable bench rest 38 mi. from my residence. A closer gravel pit was closed due to vandals partying.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:16 PM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Far less than any previous year, though not for a lack of firearms or ammuntion...just for a lack of trying.

Since retiring early due to health issues and relocating nearly 5 years ago I've been on a steady quest for a benchtop milling machine and lathe, along with TIG and MIG welding machines and various metal working tools such a slip roll, compound bender, sheetmetal brake, etc. I think that once I get my garage workshop set up the way I'd like I'll have more time to commit to shooting. Although I have had an uptick in rimfire shooting thanks to a recent .22 suppressor approval and the search for and the purchase of numerous suitable hosts, all of which has proven to be a lot of fun

Old 09-16-2020, 06:07 PM
Digital Dan
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't shoot much anymore. Least ways not on Sunday.

Old 09-16-2020, 07:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I'm kind of ashamed of my report. I am retired and live in the country, my shooting range is my back yard. I have been retired now for about 14 years, and when I first retired I would shoot at least 50 rounds every day, mostly rimfire. About 6-7 years ago I took up another hobby, playing disc golf. It's a lot of fun, cheaper, and good exercise to boot. Now I'm lucky to shoot once every few weeks, and not a lot when I do. Still have most of my guns, just a priority change I guess.