Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:17 AM
PJG65

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Deluxe in .17HMR

I知 thinking about picking up the rifle in the title. Should I have any concerns about the purchase? Are the problems with 17s in semi autos pretty much resolved?

Sorry about the (probably dumb) questions, but I知 just getting back into shooting after a very long hiatus.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:14 PM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Read this last night and did some follow up.

One of my group of shooting buddies bought a classic deluxe, with a straight flute barrel and a laminate stock a couple years ago. Its primarily used on a series of ground squirrel shooting trips that he goes on. I texted him last night for a follow up on your question.

He bought his mainly because of the availability to use ruger magazines and be an autoloader. Early whistle pigs shooting is a high volume deal and an autoloader with hi cap magazines is a distinct advantage. I have an early vq aluminum 25 round magazine that inspired his purchase. He Said he had about 2k rounds of browning ammo through it this spring, and a bit more last year of federal premium. Those weren't the best shooting ammos, but bot were around 7 bucks a box on sales over the last few years. He isn't much of a group guy and didn't have much to say on that.

As far as reliability it hasn't had any issues and is close to 5k rounds in the two years he has had it. Only complaint is that its a bit heavy for non bench work, but he uses it almost always off a bench, post or rest. Had good results with one of the champion high caps, but bad results with the other two, he prefers the 15 round ruger mags.

I used it this winter when down visiting on some starling shooting, probably ran about 4x boxes through it and was very happy with it.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:21 PM
PJG65

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the feedback. I know about the early safety issues in semi autos and just kind of assumed volquartsen would have taken steps to mitigate that by now.

I知 sure it will be more accurate than me and the weight isn稚 an issue. I was just concerned about the OOB issues given that my kids will also be shooting it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2020, 02:36 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put just under 10,000 round through mine without any issues before I retired the barrel to plinking.
I now have 630 rounds through the new barrel, again with no issues.

Switch barrel Fusion.

I do recommend cleaning the barrel/chamber every 200 rounds.
On a couple of occasions at around that round count I started to notice a slight primer bulge.
So that's now my max round count before cleaning.

Remember .17's have 4 times the powder of a .22, and it's confined to a much smaller area.
All Semi Auto rimfires build up carbon at the mouth of the cartridge, and that can start to effect its seating depth.

Mine has been super accurate as the .17hmr Club results show.
Number 8 at 100 yards against all Bolt Action rifles.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=219517
And by the way, that's the average of 4 (4 shot groups on a single target) at 100yards.
Not sure why the use 4 shot groups, but that's how it was set up.

If you pick one up, I think you'll really like it.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 09-14-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:48 PM
PJG65

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Smooth,

It痴 a custom order combining the features of a few of the different rifles, so I am excited about getting it. Unfortunately we live in northern Illinois and it will be completed in January, so...

Anyhow, I知 certainly not opposed to a different maintenance regimen for it in order to keep everything good. I値l make sure I get all the details from volquartsen.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:37 AM
e40

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got mine the end of July and have had no problems. I put 4 or 5 different types of ammo through it without issue. I have probably put about 200 rounds through it in total.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2567 1.jpg (425.6 KB, 2 views)