Kimber 82B production numbers - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-12-2020, 05:19 PM
Woodsman67
US Coast Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Kimber 82B production numbers

I have a KoO 82B with a low (1XXB) serial number and I only rarely see other 82Bs for sale. It seems that maybe Kimber didn’t make very many of these and I was wondering if anyone has information on how many were made. What were the production numbers for the 82, 82B, and 82C?

Last edited by Woodsman67; 09-20-2020 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:48 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (53)
Is your B a special model? I have seen the 82A up over 50'000 serial number as I recall and the B around 54-55000 serial number range? So total production 60,000 or less? Kimber college sticky may have info?

Last edited by HUSHKABOOM; 09-12-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
The problem is that Kimber serial numbers aren't consecutive and there are large blocks just missing. Many of the different models have their own serial numbers, like S Series, Super America, 10th Anniversary, Cub, Custom Match, Brownell, etc. that used a number and a total like XXX of 500. Bob Rapp, now deceased, probably had the best handle on serial numbers, mainly because he owned most if not all of the company records, which were rudimentary at best (think spiral notebook with minimal pencil and pen notations, that I've handled) and he told me that he thought that appx. 18,300 82's in all incarnations were made. That's less than the 20,000 total of the 2 runs of the 82G military target model. Thinking about it holistically, how often do you run into a Kimber 82 sporter at a gunshow or gunstore as opposed to one of the models of 52 Winchester sporters that they made around 70,000 of? I think that's a credible number.
Regarding Kimber of Oregon serial numbers as well as production differences, the main rule is there is no rule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2020, 08:24 PM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (53)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRat22 View Post
The problem is that Kimber serial numbers aren't consecutive and there are large blocks just missing. Many of the different models have their own serial numbers, like S Series, Super America, 10th Anniversary, Cub, Custom Match, Brownell, etc. that used a number and a total like XXX of 500. Bob Rapp, now deceased, probably had the best handle on serial numbers, mainly because he owned most if not all of the company records, which were rudimentary at best (think spiral notebook with minimal pencil and pen notations, that I've handled) and he told me that he thought that appx. 18,300 82's in all incarnations were made. That's less than the 20,000 total of the 2 runs of the 82G military target model. Thinking about it holistically, how often do you run into a Kimber 82 sporter at a gunshow or gunstore as opposed to one of the models of 52 Winchester sporters that they made around 70,000 of? I think that's a credible number.
Regarding Kimber of Oregon serial numbers as well as production differences, the main rule is there is no rule.
Great post Sage! I hope your Kimber collection stays safe from the wildfires. When we last talked, Sage his his guns loaded on a truck ready to make a fast exit due to a huge wildfire about 4 miles from his house that was "threatening".
Old 09-13-2020, 10:11 PM
WATCHADDIC
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
I know several collectors that are sitting on a significant number of b models. Some prominent collectors stick to primarily B models. More Kimbers change hands behind the scenes than you could imagine. This may account for the low sightings.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:58 PM
Woodsman67
US Coast Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the information. Perhaps I just happen to have one of the first ones. Mine is just a regular 82B, though I have done a bit of work on it. I replaced the original stock, which was rather plain and had a large and unrepairable dent in it, with a quite nicely figured 82C stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kimber 82B.jpg (164.2 KB, 2 views)
Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM
Tgilmer

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
82B model

I don't know who really knows the numbers produced. B classics are uncommon but certainly attainable.. Super Americas are usually held by collectors. In my opinion they are the best that Kimber made. Some B barreled actions made it to the C stocks in production. I currently have 3. A B heavy barrel custom classic with wrap checkering and VERY nice wood in 22lr. (very hard to find). A B classic 22 Hornet with very nice wood. 21 B hornets were made in all trim models. And a B custom classic 22 Magnum. Which is more rare than Bigfoot, Unicorns, and sweet ex wifes.