44us - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:30 AM
NO BLANKS
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
44us

I have a 44us that has no letter after the 44, also it is Parkerized, has a Mossberg Microclick S100 sight, any idea when it was made and value?
Old 09-16-2010, 11:39 AM
REF>Lancer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
what kinda shape is it in?any other markings? I won't know,but I can tell ya the other guys are going to need to know.
$125-450 would be my guess.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Bruce G.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Probably manufactured between 1943 and 1945. It should be marked "US Property" on barrel and receiver and have a serial number on receiver. Serial number could assist in pinpointing manufacture date more closely. Parkerized finish suggests it was refinished at some point, possibly by one of the US Arsenals, possibly after it entered civilian hands.

S-100 Sight is correct for that model. Front sight should be a blade dovetailed into the barrel.

Value depends on what buyer is willing to pay which is in turn somewhat dependent on condition of metal, wood, plastic parts, completeness of the rifle and accessories, availability of the model and how badly the buyer wants it. They get listed on auction sites and WTS forums for anywhere between $0.99 and $500, typically sell in the middle range of that spread.

Lots of folks on this forum more knowledgeable than I regarding this model, no doubt they will contribute.

Bruce G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2010, 11:49 AM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Sounds like Its a refurbished military trainer! The later civilian models had the letter suffix.
And some cross overs!!

Like BruceG says, $250 is a good ball park figure!!

Last edited by rosscoe; 09-16-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:02 PM
NO BLANKS
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
44us

THE STOCK HAS A COUPLE OF LIGHT SCRATCHES, METAL LOOKS GOOD NO RUST OR PITTING , THE SERIAL NUMBER LOOKS LIKE 1063, DON'T KNOW HOW MANY NUMBERS FOR SURE POSSIBLY ONE MORE NUMBER ,IT IS HARD TO SEE. iT IS MARKED US PROPERTY ON BARREL AND RECIEVER
Old 09-16-2010, 12:05 PM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO BLANKS View Post
THE STOCK HAS A COUPLE OF LIGHT SCRATCHES, METAL LOOKS GOOD NO RUST OR PITTING , THE SERIAL NUMBER LOOKS LIKE 1063, DON'T KNOW HOW MANY NUMBERS FOR SURE POSSIBLY ONE MORE NUMBER ,IT IS HARD TO SEE. iT IS MARKED US PROPERTY ON BARREL AND RECIEVER

Yep! its a keeper in my book
It should shoot good,right along with the "BIG BOYS"

Last edited by rosscoe; 09-16-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Bruce G.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
All US Property rifles should have a 6 digit serial number, first digit is always "1". First contract was let early 1943 and consisted of about 14,000 rifles. Sounds like yours is part of that first lot.

As issued, it might have had a Lyman rear sight. I can't remember how many of the first lot were supposed to have been produced this way. The stock on these Lyman equipped rifles was notched differently than those equipped with Mossberg sights. Military did not care when they refurbed them. Any combination of good parts worked for them.

Bruce G.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:41 PM
MK111

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce G. View Post
All US Property rifles should have a 6 digit serial number, first digit is always "1". First contract was let early 1943 and consisted of about 14,000 rifles. Sounds like yours is part of that first lot.

As issued, it might have had a Lyman rear sight. I can't remember how many of the first lot were supposed to have been produced this way. The stock on these Lyman equipped rifles was notched differently than those equipped with Mossberg sights. Military did not care when they refurbed them. Any combination of good parts worked for them.

Bruce G.
Also my understanding. Serial number started with 100,000. The first contract of 14,500 had the Lyman 57MS reciever sights until Mossberg invented and manufactored the S100 sight. The remaining 40,000 or so had S100 reciever sights.

But understand when the Military did rebuilds they put the rifles back together they just grapped the next part. So you will find early rifles that is suppose to have a Lyman sight with a S100 sight. I just found a early contract rebuild rifle with a S100 sight but I had a Lyman 57MS sight and corrected the sight problem. I have seen just purchsed CMP rifles with Lyman reciever sights on later rifles. That is where I got my Lyman sight.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Herzo
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK111 View Post
Also my understanding. Serial number started with 100,000. The first contract of 14,500 had the Lyman 57MS reciever sights until Mossberg invented and manufactored the S100 sight. The remaining 40,000 or so had S100 reciever sights.

But understand when the Military did rebuilds they put the rifles back together they just grapped the next part. So you will find early rifles that is suppose to have a Lyman sight with a S100 sight. I just found a early contract rebuild rifle with a S100 sight but I had a Lyman 57MS sight and corrected the sight problem. I have seen just purchsed CMP rifles with Lyman reciever sights on later rifles. That is where I got my Lyman sight.
My S/N 1002XX came from the DCM parkerized and with an S100 sight. I wondered about that - now it makes sense.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:07 PM
MK111

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzo View Post
My S/N 1002XX came from the DCM parkerized and with an S100 sight. I wondered about that - now it makes sense.
I know as I have had couple guys come up to me at my gunshow table and swear the Lyman sight on a late serialed number 44US is correct because that is how they recieved the rfifle from the CMP.
I don't argue with them because they think they got something special. I just them give them the facts as I know them. I try to trade a S100 sight for their Lyamn 57MS sight as I always need Lyman sights. No takers yet.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:56 PM
captaincalc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MOST of them have serial numbers beginning with "1." One of mine begins with "ARM" then a four digit number, the original was scratched out (have read of others with a different letter series). Still haven't heard the definitive story behind the SN change. I'd like to think it was Audie Murphy's personal army 22 trainer... (or one of a thousand of them). I haven't had a lot of "lookers" at one I take to gunshows, so the value is relative to finding an interested party. $250 is a real good ballpark for insurance, etc purposes, though. Mine are nice shooters, btw. They shoot better than I do. Keeper!