1906 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:50 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (260)

Quite a number of years ago (25?), my brother-in-law bought a Winchester 1906 (1928 vintage) that was pretty beat. There was rust on the receiver with minor pitting and there was a good bit of light rust elsewhere. The butt stock was pretty decent with only minor dings and scuff marks and the forend pump was actually quite good. It functioned OK. After quite a bit of waffling, he decided to have it re-finished and it went to R. W. Hart & Son in Nescopeck, PA. It came back a couple months later looking quite good. Close inspection of the receiver shows very faint residual from the pitting. I don't think he ever shot it.

About 10 years ago he started to show symptoms of Parkinson's and he is now in an advanced stage of the disease and marginally functional. His wife, my wife's sister, recently asked me to go through his gun safe to see what is there, the condition of his collection and suggestions on what to do with it. She is in need of money to help offset medical expenses. There aren't many items of interest to rimfire enthusiasts, but I offered to buy the 1906. (Since I got it, I've found that the action is still tight, but there is some spotty rust in the bore that could be polished out.) Frankly, given that it's been re-finished, I have no idea of its value (little for a collectors, I'm sure), but it is a slick little rifle (pics below).

Do I have just a neat little plinker, or something more?

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3974.jpg (460.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3975.jpg (386.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3976.jpg (459.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3977.jpg (441.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-22-2020, 10:14 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (97)
Really looks nice Doug! I have one similar to yours that I took off my shooting buddys hands. It is also a refinish like yours but with a winchester replacement barrel proof on top of the barrel. It has a action that is as smooth as butter. the reason I took the rifle off of his hands. Enjoy it for what it is. It would be a great rifle for the grand kids when the time is right.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:34 PM
PWNolan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Nice Doug!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2020, 07:13 AM
miataone

TPC Rating: 
100% (88)
Very nice! Will be fun shooting when you get bored stacking bullets with one of your Coopers, Annies, etc.!
Old 09-06-2020, 06:37 AM
bhoges17

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have my Grandfathers 1906. I replaced the wood, sleeved the barrel and refinished with Cerakote. I wish it was original but the wood was bad. Lots of small dings on the metal that I filed out. I should have gotten it blued but I do Cerakote. Still a fun shooter. Your rifle looks great.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:55 PM
mfab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1906 help

ok im new to using forums, but deals on firearms are my hustle. I recently acquired a 1906 circa 1914 for just under $200 that is still in great shape and very accurate however the action is really stiff and my 2 problems are one the magazine tube is seized so I can break it down far enough to get the bolt out. the second not so bad problem is that the from magazine anchor point is warn to the point that it basically floats in and out of the dovetail on the barrel. I've tried to use penetrating fluids to no avail, im reluctant to use heat as I don't want to ruin the patina. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:02 PM
Egriv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfab View Post
ok im new to using forums, but deals on firearms are my hustle. I recently acquired a 1906 circa 1914 for just under $200 that is still in great shape and very accurate however the action is really stiff and my 2 problems are one the magazine tube is seized so I can break it down far enough to get the bolt out. the second not so bad problem is that the from magazine anchor point is warn to the point that it basically floats in and out of the dovetail on the barrel. I've tried to use penetrating fluids to no avail, im reluctant to use heat as I don't want to ruin the patina. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Make sure the magazine retaining pin has been removed from the rear ring. Use a dental pick and carefully clean any build up of crud from the magazine rings/tube junction. Use Kroil or PB blaster where the rings contact the mag tube and also where the tube enters the receiver. let this stuff work, reapply daily for up to a week. You may have to give it a bit of help to get it started to break loose. Drill a hole the same diameter as the magazine tube through a piece of machined hardwood. split the hardwood on a band saw (the diameter of the hole is now slightly smaller) and trim so the drilled portion will go around the tube and not hit the barrel. Clamp the wooden blocks in a vise with the tube in them. You may need an additional hand doing this. With one person putting a bit of tension on the rifle, the second person can tap the muzzle with a nylon mallet. This will usually break it loose. If this doesn't do it, propane will be next.

Erin